Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Outside the mouth vs mouth reeds?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Outside the mouth vs mouth reeds?

Postby jayfrog » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hello, I'm not feeling confident enough this season to use my mouth reeds (I would probably be fine but don't want to blow a proven area). What are some good outside the mouth calling systems that have worked for you guys/gals? Any advice for a first-year caller??? Thanks a ton for any aid.
jayfrog

First Name: Justin
Last Name: Hedges

Re: Outside the mouth vs mouth reeds?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Jayfrog, what do you feel confident with (what sounds) using a mouth diaphram? For bull sounds, can you do a two or three note locator bugle and hold the high note for a few seconds? Can you do a bull scream? Can you make some pretty decent sounding cow/calf mews? If you can consistently make these noises, you're in good shape. The sounds mentioned with perhaps, a nervous or popping grunt with the diaphram, or, your voice is really all you need. All this said, if you absolutely cannot make any of these sounds consistently with a diaphram, external calls may be your best best for this season. The Chuckler XTR external reed call in the Elknut's store is a good call as is the Berry Game Calls Thunderbugle. Both are easy to use, make excellent locator bugles and screams, and with some practice can even knock out some good chuckles. For external reed cow calls, there are a lot of them on the market that others may chime in and recommend. I use a Carlton's Bull Hooker cow call to add to, and, mix up my sounds in addition to my normal diaphram cow sounds.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Currently I use Jacobsons and Primos in the mouth diaphrams for cow calling and use a seperate bugle for bull sounds. I do own some reed calls with the expectation of my daughters , wife, or hunting partner to us them

I feel its important to be able to cow call immediatley after the shot,.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby bowgy » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 4]

If you can make the basic sounds you are probably fine. The worst buglers I've heard in the woods always turn out to be elk. They make all sorts of sounds.
bowgy

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Here's what I recommend

GCHC High Heel Hottie
Sceery ACE 1 and ACE 2
Primos Hyper Single

I never leave home without those and my reeds!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby rowdycwby1 » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I found the promos terminator or the buggle buddy sre real easy to use.
rowdycwby1

First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Arreola

Postby jayfrog » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Thanks for all the feedback. I can make consistent cow and calf calls with the in-mouth reed (carlton 2.5) and some 2-3 note bull calls with the (carlton double). I also have a Hoochie Mama and E.L.K cow call for variety. I have practiced shooting my bow just after making a cow call. My bull scream leaves much to be desired so I was considering getting either the Mac Daddy for bull screams/locator call. I didn't realize there are so many external reed options! Wow. I think I'm going to just try the in-mouth-reeds this year and bring some out-of-mouth options if I'm unsuccessful. It is reassuring that elk make such a wide variety of sounds that a sour note or two may not be the end of the world. Forgive me if this has been covered in other threads (most likely) but what would be a simple system to use, implementing say 3 or 4 basic calls? I understand that it is all contingent upon what the actual elk are doing/saying/wanting, but what is a good approach strategy? Thanks again
jayfrog

Postby jayfrog » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Phantom16,
Can you elaborate on the nervous-popping grunt? I know what sound you mean, but I couldn't conceive of making the sound with my voice alone. WIth an in-mouth-reed how would you go about it?
jayfrog

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Here you go Justin.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=57

If you haven't gone through them yet, the EklNut Tips and Clips on top of this page are made by the Elknut himself and "well" worth your time to review. The nervous/popping grunt is in there also. Secondly, dig through the Archived Tips as there is some very good discussion and information there also concerning calling, situational examples, etc.

I expect a full book report in the morning :).. Just teasing but really, go through Paul's tips and clips and throw out any other questions you may have. Fun stuff! RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby jayfrog » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Phantom16 wrote:Here you go Justin.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=57

If you haven't gone through them yet, the EklNut Tips and Clips on top of this page are made by the Elknut himself and "well" worth your time to review. The nervous/popping grunt is in there also. Secondly, dig through the Archived Tips as there is some very good discussion and information there also concerning calling, situational examples, etc.

I expect a full book report in the morning :).. Just teasing but really, go through Paul's tips and clips and throw out any other questions you may have. Fun stuff! RJ

Thanks a ton Phantom16. I just went over there and discovered an absolute treasure trove. Paul has some of the most concise and informative videos I've ever seen. I'll go through those and terrorize my wife tonight with calling practice. I've noticed that I've been doing much wrong...but much correctly as well. Feeling more confident! Thanks~
jayfrog

Postby Washington Wapiti » 08 28, 2013 •  [Post 11]

jayfrog wrote: Thanks a ton Phantom16. I just went over there and discovered an absolute treasure trove. Paul has some of the most concise and informative videos I've ever seen. I'll go through those and terrorize my wife tonight with calling practice.

Me too! I gave up on the diaphragms a year or two ago. I don't do a ton of calling, and what calling I do are light cow calls with my Primos Lil Dog. It is effective on the elk in my area, but not hands free. I had recently been messing around with the diaphragms again, with not much success. After reading this thread I checked out some of the videos and within 30 minutes of practicing, a whole new world of calling opened up without spitting all over the place and nearly swallowing the thing. My bugles aren't at all perfect. But I feel confident enough to cow call and make some meager locator bugles with this flappy piece of latex. Working on the popping grunt now. If our ambush sites dry up and we have to hit the ground in a "last minute," feverish attempt, I have a wider variety of vocalizations at my disposal. It is all about the point of contact and pressure - this is what I was doing wrong. Paul does an excellent job describing and showing that. Great to hear it is going well for you too jayfrog . . . hope the terrorzing went equally as well! Thanks guys for opening up this topic . . .
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN