Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Curiosity Killed the whitetail - Will it kill an elk??

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Curiosity Killed the whitetail - Will it kill an elk??

Postby Mikeha33 » 08 29, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Guys, I was watching one of Paul's videos on YouTube just a minute ago (at work, 3 days from my hunt, yeah, I'm not getting anything work related done), and I had a thought process that I had not ever asked about, but seems like a legit thought. In Kansas, many times mature whitetails will "come and take a look" at a certain sound, or smell, that they are not familiar with, but not threatened by. Will a mature bull elk do the same? With the wide variety of sounds an elk can make, especially varying between animals, no two animals/calls/people, sound exactly the same. I wonder, does anybody know, or have experience with elk coming in to just take a look at something or someone, that doesn't seem aggressive or threatened, but just flat out curious? I don't know why his video made me wonder that. It was the "Grunts-Chuckles-Lip Bawl" video, which is awesome, if you guys haven't seen it.
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Re: Curiosity Killed the whitetail - Will it kill an elk??

Postby BrentLaBere » 08 29, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Locator bugle would be the go to call I am going to use for this. Either get a response in an elky area (Scream/bugle with grunts) or have the bull slip in to check you (the competition) out.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 29, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Curiosity does kill elk. Like Brent stated, the location bugle is a great way to bring in other bulls. Many think it should just be used by the hunter as a "finding" sound. But when you break down the meaning it's "I am here, where are you". Bulls know the other bulls in their area by their sound and when an intruder comes in, that they can't readily identify, their curiosity can get the better of them .

Also, tree raking and soft chuckles is a great cold calling tactic to use to peak their interest.

Elk are social animals and nothing gets them more curious than meeting the new neighbor.

My 2-cents.
jf
JohnFitzgerald

Postby ishy » 08 29, 2013 •  [Post 4]

We've called them in while calling predators a few times.
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L