Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

colorado regs. Evidence of sex.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

colorado regs. Evidence of sex.

Postby patdel » 08 29, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I have an either sex otc tag. Why do i need to leave evidence of sex with boned out or quartered meat? This doesn't make sense to me. Just wondering what exactly is expected/required. When is it ok to cut that stuff off?
Also if i wind up with a bull, does tag stay with the meat, or with the rack?
Thanks.
patdel

First Name: pat
Last Name: delaney

Re: colorado regs. Evidence of sex.

Postby Buglemaster » 08 29, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Colorado regs have been known to confuse rocket scientists. Don't feel bad. I believe it has to do with guys killing illegal antler point restricted bulls & then punching their tag as a cow.with evidence of sex attached, it's cut & dried, but in most areas of Colo, it had better have 4 pts to go with the gonads. I was one of the worst skeptics on the 4 pt or better law, but it has done great things in producting branch antlered bulls for us all. I can remember seeing herds of up to 80 head with only spikes to do the breeding, yep, right in the middle of the rut.
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby mtnmutt » 08 29, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Tag goes on quarter (even deboned quarter) with evidence of sex attached and can be removed once processed. Do not put tag on antlers.
mtnmutt

Postby patdel » 08 29, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Ah. The lightbulb comes on. That seems like a valid reason. Have butchered a lot of deer over the years and it just seemed wrong to me to leave the bulls junk hanging on a nice boned out ham.

Thanks for the reply.
patdel

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 29, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Plain and simple is you have to leave either the utter or nut sack naturally attached simply because the law says so. You can take it off when the meat is processed and ready for the freezer.

And as Bunglemaster stated most areas of the state require a bull to have 4 points or better on one side. There is no such thing as a cow tag in Colorado. It is called an antlerless tag. So a young bull with no antlers is legal.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby patdel » 08 29, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Thanks much.
patdel

Postby Birks » 08 30, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Sounds similar to Alberta canada.

Most areas must have 3 pts or larger. the 3rd point(main beam) must extend a minimum of 3 inches (7.6cm) beyond the 2nd point.

Some areas have 6 pt. or larger, same rule for the main beam.

Antlerless elk tag is a Cow or a bull with antlers no longer than 4 inches.

Also, for evidence of sex, it's the utter/junk. or the head has to remain attached to one quarter.
Birks

First Name: Randy
Last Name: Birkholz

Postby Wapiti » 08 31, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Birks wrote:Sounds similar to Alberta canada.

Most areas must have 3 pts or larger. the 3rd point(main beam) must extend a minimum of 3 inches (7.6cm) beyond the 2nd point.

Also, for evidence of sex, it's the utter/junk. or the head has to remain attached to one quarter.

Yep been that way in AB for a long time. When I first started hunting I had an antlerless elk come in and so I shot it and when we got to it We realized it was a very young bull. I thought I was in trouble but it all turned out legal !! He was very tasty !!
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby Birks » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Wapiti wrote:
Birks wrote:Sounds similar to Alberta canada.

Yep been that way in AB for a long time. When I first started hunting I had an antlerless elk come in and so I shot it and when we got to it We realized it was a very young bull. I thought I was in trouble but it all turned out legal !! He was very tasty !!

Hey wapiti,

I think i met you at the Fort McMurray gun show in April or may. I bought a bunch of reeds off you and I let you hear my young son do his voice bugle.
Birks

First Name: Randy
Last Name: Birkholz