Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.. It's Time!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 31, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Well friends, after a looooong year waiting, it's time for many of us to finally hit the elk woods! Many of our Elknut brothers and sisters are already out there (with hopefully, some hard hours logged already packing out their trophies) but for many of us, our time is almost there! I leave in three days for a five day, early season WA Roosevelt hunt with a local friend. I'm very excited to assist him with harvesting his first archery elk. After a few days back at work, it's off to the Gem State for a bit over two weeks with Dotman (Tim) and DirtyErn (Ernie) for some snot nosed, mud caked, rut crazy Rocky Mountain elk action. The Alpine is shooting fine, gear is almost packed with the exception of some minor tweaking, the homestead is prepared and will be on auto pilot during my absence, and the modes of transportation are standing by and ready (truck, trailer, quad, bike, hot air balloon, etc.).

I want to thank all of you who frequent this site, "the" elk forum, for a great year of discussing plans, comparing strategies, chewing over various gear options, and sharing past stories of great times with each other. We've had both informative and entertaining threads/posts offered that have kept us all somewhat sane as we waited for the magical month of September to once again roll around (this forum is my all time favorite "in between"). Thanks guys and gals and I wish all of you that will be fortunate enough to wake up in elk camp this year, boil up a cup of coffee, and step foot on that trailhead on your first day, the best of luck in your endeavors this year. Be safe, enjoy, and again, the best of luck to you Elknuts. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.. It's Time!

Postby LarryBud » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Well said Phantom!

I must wait for September 12 for travel and September 14 to hunt. As a first timer, anticipation is high.

Safety and success to all!!
LarryBud

Postby dapper » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Sure did get quiet on here since a lot of the others have gone hunting. Seems like we're the bench warmers waiting for our turn.
My son and I'll leave Wisconsin on Sept. 13, for Colorado. We should be at the trailhead about 3am on the 14th and backpacking in just after dawn. May be hunting the evening of the 14th and come out late on the 27th or early on the 28th. We're pumped and ready.

It'll be interesting watching for posts, updates and the success stories of those out hunting as they start trickling back to civilization.

The way time flys, we'll be out hunting and back before you know it.

Good Luck and happy hunting to all!

Dan
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring

Postby slim9300 » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Good luck Rory! I can't believe the time has already come. :)

We need to meet up after you get back and setup a plan that allows me to come in and call for you guys if there's still time. What is your projected last day to hunt? Last we talked you guys were staying till the end of the month right?
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 5]

slim9300 wrote:Good luck Rory! I can't believe the time has already come. :)

We need to meet up after you get back and setup a plan that allows me to come in and call for you guys if there's still time. What is your projected last day to hunt? Last we talked you guys were staying till the end of the month right?

Yep, if you guys tag out early, come on by. I'll call you on the way over once I know the "road" situation. I'm leaving on the 13th and staying till the 30th.. that's the plan. Tim arrives a few days after I do and if I remember correctly, is back outa there on the 28th. Don't think we can get cell service up high but Joe was able to get a connection on the top of XXXX point; I couldn't with AT&T. Between Tim, Ern, and me we may be able to come up with a signal. Way too far back for you too hoof in so we'd have to arrange some kind of motorized rendezvous 12 miles out. Good luck down south next week to you and Scott. Knock em dead!
WapitiTalk1

Postby slim9300 » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Phantom16 wrote:
slim9300 wrote:Good luck Rory! I can't believe the time has already come. :)

Yep, if you guys tag out early, come on by. I'll call you on the way over once I know the "road" situation. I'm leaving on the 13th and staying till the 30th.. that's the plan. Tim arrives a few days after I do and if I remember correctly, is back outa there on the 28th. Don't think we can get cell service up high but Joe was able to get a connection on the top of XXXX point; I couldn't with AT&T. Between Tim, Ern, and me we may be able to come up with a signal. Way too far back for you too hoof in so we'd have to arrange some kind of motorized rendezvous 12 miles out. Good luck down south next week to you and Scott. Knock em dead!

Thanks! Scott will have to head back home since his daddy pressures will be beckoning (or is that his wife bitc$ing) :) In all seriousness he has a PITA 4 year old son and a 6 month old daughter, so his wife will have her hands full without him. We will figure it out but coordinating a pickup may be tough. It may be easier for me to just walk the 12 miles if need be.
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 7]

We'll figure something out; I'll give you a holler as we transition from WA to ID. First things first, I've gotta help Duke break in that new pack you helped him fit :D. I have a good feeling about this year in the early WA season. Could be sizzling loins over some hot coals by this time next week.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Bow4Elk » 09 03, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I like the hot air balloon for the pack out. Wonder if that could work? Good luck and don't get too beat up by the tag alder. We will be headed over that way Sept 7th.
Bow4Elk

First Name: Ron