Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Thermals

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Thermals

Postby Firemedicbkelly » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Headed out Sept 6th and I was looking for some advice from the vets. How important is it to take thermals into consideration? Is it more important to be concerned with wind direction or do you really need to take both into account? I am a flatlander so thermals are a new concept to me so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Good luck to all the guys and girls already out and to those who are still waiting. Thanks to all for a great site and the info you share.
Firemedicbkelly

First Name: Blake
Last Name: Kelly

Re: Thermals

Postby Indian Summer » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Should you be concerned with thermals? Absolutely as the can dictate wind direction which is one of if not the most important things to pay attention to while hunting.

I'm sure you grasp the basic principle.... air warms and rises during the day and vice versa in the evening. As it moves it acts kinda like water flowing between and around obstacles. There are exceptions to every rule. Some cool chutes may have dropping thermals all day long. Also... a big factor is prevailing winds. If you are on a west slope with a substantial west wind the air may never be able to drop downhill because it's overpowered by that.

Also, like water, wind can have eddies or slack spots. For example if you are near the top of a north slope which is fairly cool & air is rising up the opposite hill it can actually roll over the top and come back, like the crest of a wave, causing shifting winds.

Elk will use thermals to their advantage by bedding in places where they bring scent to them. A likely spot may be below a rocky area or even a cliff where danger from above is unlikely or can be heard while a steady stream of rising air comes from below to alert them to any predators that may be moving below them.

I'd suggest getting Smoke In A Bottle or another wind indicator to check it. When it's basically calm out they can show you subtle thermal movements that you can't feel in your face or on the back of your neck.

Last... never assume that the wind over where you are seeing or hearing elk is doing the same thing as it is where you are sitting. Wind can be a tricky thing and really it's our #1 friend or foe when it comes to closing the deal on elk, deer, bears etc. You can get away with a some noise and movement but you won't get an armpit past a bull buck or boar if you are upwind of them. Learning the lay of the land in your elk spot includes knowing a few things about the wind and thermals there. Good question & good luck to you.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Herb » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Without a prevailing wind, the thermals are the only game to play. In my area, 10:30 is the magic change from down to up. Each area will be different.
Herb

Location: The Corner of Nebraska that is Too Far from Colorado
First Name: S
Last Name: Herb

Postby Firemedicbkelly » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Thanks for the great info. I always keep a constant check on wind direction but I didn't know how thermals affected the wind direction and if I just needed to concentrate on direction or thermals along with wind direction. Thanks again for your advice
Firemedicbkelly

Postby Glacier Country » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 5]

This is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember when hunting elk!!! The " Thermals" refer to wind direction... The colder air will blow downhill in the morning and evening. As the sun heats up the air in the morning the wind will change direction and start blowing uphill in the sun and downhill in the shaded areas. So around 9:30 or 10:am here the winds will start switching and blowing uphill making them unpredictable. Get away from the elk until afternoon when the wind will be blowing uphill in a more predictable manner.Then you can slip in on them from above. Also note that the wind blows downhill longer on a thick timbered north slope that is shaded.

You will NEVER EVER beat an elks nose!!! Keep the wind in your face at all times. If the wind switches toward the elk, I will run away to try to keep my scent line out of their nose.
Hope that Helps----> Troy

Looks like Indian Summer beat me to this post probably typing at the same time. He gave great info there!!
Glacier Country
Site Sponsor

First Name: Troy

Postby Firemedicbkelly » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Thanks guys I knew the basics about thermals but I had no idea how important they were and how involved they are with wind direction. Great stuff that I will be using this year!
Firemedicbkelly