Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Going Solo

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Going Solo

Postby dreamhunter » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Wow,I haven't been on here for quite some time and I'm really getting a late start towards my fitness.I'm fairly active with my work, a lot of bending ,walking , climbing, etc. My work doesn't however need me to to scoot down mountains and back up other ones as fast as I can safely go. My buddy won't be meeting me this year as far I know anyways. He said he wouldn't be able to get off work,started a new job with the same company. I hunted 2 or 3 yrs ago by myself and it wasn't the best time I ever had. It gets boring being all by yourself.I guess the thing I learned the last time is to get out there,hunt slow,glass,listen and enjoy the fact that I do get to go again. My wife is encouraging me to go because she knows how much I enjoy the pursuit of the mighty elk.So with that I am asking for a few tips on how to not be so bored.Thanks ya'll
dreamhunter

First Name: Holly
Last Name: Paugh

Re: Going Solo

Postby crazyaboutelk » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Are you packing your camp in and staying a while, or just hunting solo in day trips?
crazyaboutelk

First Name: Gabe
Last Name: Jo

Postby dreamhunter » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I just secured my buddies topper again a few mins ago. I will be setting up camp for 7-8 days and then hiking up to the ares I will be hunting.There is a wallow not far at all and a couple other spots where I did here and see some elk last year.I also friended a group of guys from Georgia and they pass buy on their 4 wheelers on there way in and out.They would stop and visit a few mins then they had to get down the road.It was still another 30 mins by 4 wheeler just to their camp.I will be in the same area as I have been the last few years.I hope I get some shots off this year and actually put one on the ground.I still haven't done either one of those.Then I also get to experience the packing out process.I'm going with High hopes and Great expectations. I do have a friend that is about an hr away and another 2 hrs away so if I need help I hope that they would come and help.
dreamhunter

Postby elk-n-walleye » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 4]

dreamhunter wrote:My wife is encouraging me to go because she knows how much I enjoy the pursuit of the mighty elk.So with that I am asking for a few tips on how to not be so bored.Thanks ya'll

Your wife sounds like a good one :) Personally I love going solo because I can go at my own pace, which is faster than my partner. Its good since I can cover more ground but bad when I bump an elk that I may have picked up on had I been moving slower. Plus, I can over push myself and wear myself out. As far as not being bored... if I decide to lay low during mid day I will have some books (which is probably an obvious suggestion) on kindle that I've been meaning to read which will likely lead to naps. I'll be next to our vehicle in the evening so I can recharge my electronics. In the evening I will likely be so tired all I will need for entertainment is dinner, a fire to stare into and then REM sleep.

Overall though, like many on these forums, I just really enjoy the forest and taking in all the scenery. Not to mention the quiet, relaxed and simple existence during my time out there.

So good luck and enjoy it.
elk-n-walleye

Postby dreamhunter » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 5]

yes for sure on the being next to my truck to recharge phones, etc. As far as recharge, my spouse ( Susan ) knows that I get recharged when I go and get away in the mountains for a week plus. So she starts asking around May what my plans are.I just say I'm going.Reading is good and yes it does lead to naps.REM now there's a word I'm not to familiar with lately.If I get that in the Mountains I might just stay in the tent and catch up on months of sleep,lol
dreamhunter

Postby Indian Summer » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Take an I-Pod and some tunes. Your wife sounds cool, why don't you take her? Either that or think outside the box of someone who doesn't hunt and see if they want to go along for the fun. Maybe they'll take a liking to it. You could use another partner anyway right.

Just remember.... getting started is half the battle. Get your butt up there and take one step at a time. Think of the positive angle too.... what an accomplishment to get an elk solo. Kill it on a Friday so your partner can drive up that night and help pack on his day off. :D

Git er dun!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby twinkieman » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Along with books, I have taken a small electronic Yaytzee game for years, it doesn't take much brain power to play. It can help when boredom attacks.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby WindedBowhunter » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I prefer solo as well! Don't get me wrong, in the right setting hanging around a campfire with family friends has it's memories for sure!

Solo hunting is not for everyone, as we are social creatures! Not to mention being inundated with information, media and technology every day all day!

Others have suggested electronics, books (highly recommend ElkNut's Playbook). I would recommend a camera and little journal. Document your adventures. Most people find that after day 3 of solitude, if they can truly get away from civilization alone. The next big hurdle is day 7, this is the tops for most people.

With a wife and kids, 10 days in the backcountry is about max for me and my family. This is 10 full days off the grid hiking, camping, hunting off my back, not day trips.

Another item to bring, is some beneficial comfort food. You'd be surprised what this will do for your mental state!

Get out there and enjoy it!
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby crazyaboutelk » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I do a lot of day trip hunting, so boredom has never really been an issue with me. Since I teach high school math and science, I only get out on the weekends. I do however take my Bible and Iphone. Taking the time to study what is happening in the area you are hunting could relieve some of the boredom. There is a lot to be learned about where the elk are moving and why. I like hunting solo, but I am sure it would get old if I was not just day trippin.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!
crazyaboutelk

First Name: Gabe
Last Name: Jo

Postby dreamhunter » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I have Elknuts Playbook,it a necessity in my pack.I also have his cd s downloaded to my iphone and I can listen to them while i wait sometimes. I think a journal might not be a bad idea this time.I will have the time,thats for sure.I aways have my bible with me. Didn't plan it this way ,but I do have a massage scheduled the day before I leave along with a visit to my Kinesiologist for a make sure everything is in it's place treatment.Now it's starting to feel just like last year,I can't wait to hit the road and head west.I'm already going through my gear and pairing it down some since it will only be me.
dreamhunter

Postby elk-n-walleye » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I am definitely going to have my camera too. I intend to do a photo journal of the trip for my wife to enjoy since I've been annoying her for the last 2 months with everything elk (more than normal anyway). She enjoys the outdoors too so she will enjoy the scenic shots but at the same time she may be jealous she wasn't out there camping with me. I also want to try taking video with it of any elk that might come in. That scenario will be hit and miss though since 1. I'll likely forget out of excitement and 2. there just may not be enough time to turn it on, set it on a good vantage point, hit record and then settle in for a shot. Yeah, its wishful thinking for a solo hunt but you have to have goals right.
elk-n-walleye

Postby WindedBowhunter » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 12]

dreamhunter - Just get out there a enjoy mother nature as she intended and you enjoy its pleasures as you see fit!

elk-n-walleye gave me another idea you can do with your camera if it has video, you can keep a video journal as well! Make your own Solo Hunter TV by dreamhunter!

Hope to hear and see some of your entries from your trip! So be safe and enjoy!
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby dreamhunter » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Thats an excellant idea.Video journal
dreamhunter