Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2 days of elk hunting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2 days of elk hunting

Postby bnsafe » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I headed up Friday after work with a plan. got camp set up and fooled around Friday afternoon. had a cow moose 15 yds. very cool. Saturday was opening day and I got up at 330 to drive the 10 minutes to where I was hunting cause I wanted to be the first one there. well I got there and was hanging out when a couple guys pulled up and almost ran up the trail to get ahead of me. public hunting, annoying but no biggy. I went in and walked a LONG way. finally found some poop way high up the mnt but no elk. I think I just missed the bull being there cause the area stunk really bad and I found to piles of doo that was extremely fresh. went to hunt the water hole I found while scouting and the guys had set up a pop up blind by it so I went back to camp to wait the noon hour out. went back the first night and it poured rain for quite awhile so I went back to camp for day one. no elk sighting. 2 more moose.
day 2 I went in early and climbed in the dark. just got to the spot where I saw the sign on day 1 and saw a bull 100 yds out quartering to me, ranged him at 80, he was on the trail leading to where I was, got time form my first elk, he turns and heads straight up the mnt. I cow called but never saw him again and I couldn't have kept up with him had I followed. no more elk. 2 days 1 elk sighting. I think they were higher but I found several beds and I didn't want to bump them so I didn't go up.
I did see my first bear. had him at 32 yds, I have a bear tag, ready to go, but season doesn't start til tomorrow, that hurt.
not sure why I cant find cows, lots of cow dung last yr an this but havnt seen a cow in two yrs running.
had a good time, headed back tues for 9 days.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: 2 days of elk hunting

Postby Buglemaster » 09 01, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Keep after them Scott. It sounds to me like the area you are in has possibilities & if you can just find them you will do well. You never know what drainage or hole they will be in, but keep looking. With opening weekend pressure, they do get pushed around & just because they weren't in there this time doesn't mean they won't be the next. Good luck!
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby Indian Summer » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Not bad for days 1 & 2. You're on em. Figured out the competition a little. I say so far so good. Now to figure out where that bull was heading.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby bnsafe » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 4]

im almost positive they bed up the mnt a little. I think I was just starting to get into the edge of the bedding area and didn't wanna push it. I learn a little more every time out. had a blast. was gonna head back up tomorrow but my wife got stuck on a work assignment so I gotta take care of my 12 yr old after school, so wedn afternoon I will be right below there bedding area in the afternoon. if that doesn't work im gonna go to plan b, there is a road about a mile from where im seeing them on the other side. Im gonna go to that road an come down on them, I hope, lol.
an hopefully I will see the bear again, that's one of my personal bucket list animals and man was it HARD to let him walk.
bnsafe

Postby easeup » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 5]

just keep on playing the game as it sounds like just a matter of time until you get to draw.
good luck.
easeup

Postby bnsafe » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 6]

thanks a ton guys for the encouragement. I feel good about this year. im learning so much. only turned my gps on once an that was just to mark a waypoint.
the bear was the first one ive ever seen in the wild. and its on my bucket list to kill one. man did it hurt to watch him walk off. hope he lives in the area. I sooooo wanna kill one.
bnsafe

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 03, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Just moved this Topic to the Elk Forum. Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Castnblast » 09 03, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Sounds like you are in a great area, just need to put in the time. You will get it finished.
Castnblast

First Name: Jack
Last Name: Rentz

Postby Vanish » 09 04, 2013 •  [Post 9]

If that road is in the National Forest, make sure its open :geek:
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel