Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Glunking?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Glunking?

Postby llewokj » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Called a bull in to 70 yards this morning. No shot due to the aspen stand he was in. I'm sure he was "glunking" at me...went back and forth with him for 20 minutes then he strolled off. Lots-O-fun!
llewokj

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Kowell

Re: Glunking?

Postby LckyTylr » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 2]

How were you calling? Bugling . . . cow calls . . . ?

It's hot as can be, I only heard some nervous barking, no other elk sounds.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Jeff, here's some info here that is found in the Tips & Clips Forum! Feel Free to look in it for more info on tons of encounters!

ElkNut1

Examples when bulls Glunk & why?

1--When a Herd Bull recognizes a possible Threat from a hunters bugle or another bull closing in on him & his harem it's common for him to put distance between them. He can be the one leading the escape & in doing so he will give off a Glunking sound to the cows for direction & that he's the one to follow. He may include light chuckling as well if some are not staying close enough to the escaping group.

2--Bulls will Glunk as they come towards a hunters cow calling or a real cows calling. He doesn't use a glunk everytime but it is done in some of the more demanding times when he wants to see this cow NOW! At times this Glunking Bull will stop under 60 yds & start Raking a tree or brush to display for this cow trying to encourage her to join him.

3--Bulls will at times Glunk, Scream a short bugle to usher a cow in. Sometimes he will give a cow mew or two immediately followed by a short scream & then Glunking & Raking! As you see things escalate to these various levels you can read a bulls intensity or aggression as he gets worked up.

4--Bulls will use Glunking as they move in on another Bulls Harem, the Glunking bull would use these Glunks Screams, Mews & Raking/Stomping in an effort to pull the Herd Bulls cows away from him at a distance of 80yds or less & avoid a confrontation with this Herd Bull. This Glunking Bull would be very happy with one or two cows coming his way & off they'd go.

5--Bulls will Glunk in their bedding areas maintaining control & letting his cows know where he is. It's common for bulls to be bedded with the cows or even a 100yds away from them at times, a lot depends on the closeness of cows nearing estrus! At times of Estrus Herd Bulls will stay close by as he keeps Satellites at bay!

These are the more common times you will hear Gkunking & why. If you familiarize yourself with these various times you too will be able to read a situation & come up with a very good game plan that would fit your personal circumstance! This should help you to know when to be aggressive depending on your encounter or just playing the "Curiosity Card" with nearby Satellites!

For example, #-1 & # 5 would be best suited for lone bulls or bachelor groups within earshot, it promotes curiosity & is non-intimidating!

#-2 & # 3--Shows you what to expect or can take place if a bull is responding & coming your way to cow calling!

#-4--Can be used very effectively on Herd Bulls once in close! No Herd Bull worth his salt wants to let any of his cows leave for another bull. This is a slap in his face as you are a real THREAT to his herd, he will generally be on you pronto before any of his cows show your way!

Glunking isn't going to be used on every encounter but when it's needed, man is it awesome !!! (grin) Always watch the wind & make sure ones setup is where Bulls must come to bowrange before they can physically see where the disturbance/sounds are coming from!
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Hill Hunter » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 4]

How does everyone/anyone replicate the 'glunking' sound??
Hill Hunter

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Noll

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Welcome to "the" elk forum Hill Hunter. A couple of ways to make a glunking noise is by popping the end of your tube, or, by clicking your tongue off the top of your palate.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby westaner » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Last year I cut a 10" peice of 3/4 pvc pipe wrapped it with camo tape for my glunking tube . Popping it with my palm I was getting much louder than with my mouth. This year I cut 11" of 1-1/2" shop vac nosel and it sounds even better. But takes two hands to operate :x
westaner

First Name: K.C.

Postby llewokj » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I was cow calling with an Elk Inc Cow Talk and a Primos Hootchie Mama. A small herd I was!
llewokj

Postby llewokj » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Thanks ElkNut...this is fun learning process!
llewokj

Postby Hill Hunter » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Thanks for the info....so, if I am understanding this 'glunking' correctly....it is a sound to be used when close, say 100yds and in from the herd or bull within and may draw them in closer, but not as imtimidating as a challlange bugle & grunt, so it may not have to be the biggest, baddest bull on the mtn for this sound to draw in bulls...??
Hill Hunter

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Noll