Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Need advice for stand hunting for ELK please

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Need advice for stand hunting for ELK please

Postby 13bonatter69 » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I will be heading to Wyoming on the 11th for ELK and will be there till I fill my tag or until season ends at the end of September. My question is about hanging a stand and doing a little sitting now and then to do a little resting. I am new to Elk and I don't know of anyone that stand hunts for them, so any advice would be great. If anyone knows of any articles or forum threads, that would be great as well.
I guess that the most affective way would be to find water close to their bedding areas and set up mid day and wait for them to come for a drink?? Maybe try to find a wallow that they are using?? I also plan on setting a trail camera up on said water hole or said wallow if its legal to do so. Any advice would be great thanks.
13bonatter69

First Name: Billy
Last Name: Bell

Re: Need advice for stand hunting for ELK please

Postby dtrkyman » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Your on the right track, water hole, wallow for mid day evening sits. Just know there route to the source so you can use the wind to your advantage. Natural licks and trails in saddles can also be great places.
dtrkyman

First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Marzano

Postby welka » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 3]

See Swede's book. Also, if you can set up a natural ground blind with wind in your favor, you can save the stand packing in to the wallow!
welka

Postby planebow » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Swede's book is available from elknut's store. I just read it and if you plan to hunt from a tree stand I would get it coming as soon as possible.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard