Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Breeding Sequence and a Dang It

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Breeding Sequence and a Dang It

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 09 02, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Picked up a big bull bugling early Saturday morning. We moved in and hit him with a breeding sequence causing him to moan, chuckle, and carry on for some time. The last sound he made was farther away so I made the decision to close the gap. We'll, as I broke cover, off to my left was a nice 5 point bull coming straight towards me. It didn't take long for him to pick out my movement and as he spun the dreaded nervous bark was the last sound we heard for the morning.

Lesson for the weekend is, GIVE IT SOME TIME! ;)

Dang it!
JohnFitzgerald

Re: Breeding Sequence and a Dang It

Postby BrentLaBere » 09 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Get em next time John. Hunting through people on the forums until Saturday. Cant wait to get out and try some calling.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Slow1 » 09 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

What exactly is a breeding sequence ? At home it involves dinner, wine and begging ;) for elk I suspect it is a little different. Could you please enlighten me.

Thanks
Slow1

First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Jones

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 09 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

The breading sequence is a cold calling tactic that imitates a herd state. The bull is irritable because one of his cows is coming into estrus and he’s having a hard time keeping them together. The elk are talking all at once especially the bull and he is thrashing, raking, glunking, chuckling, and giving short lip bawl bugles.

This tactic is deadly on satellite bulls and not the best tactic for herd bulls.

When I initially picked up this vocal bull I thought he was a satellite. But after he moaned and chuckled it was apparent he was a herd bull. Sometimes you have to roll the dice if you’re unsure! :-)

See the ElkNut brain for more details! ;)
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Slow1 » 09 04, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Thanks for the info I appreciate anything that can help with that next encounter.
Slow1

First Name: Thomas
Last Name: Jones

Postby twinkieman » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Great explanation John, and I really like how you noted that it was primarily a satellite bull situation. Thanks !
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson