Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What do you think of this area?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What do you think of this area?

Postby mjblowers » 09 03, 2013 •  [Post 1]

For me, the greatest challenge of elk hunting is knowing if I'm even in the right area. I'm hunting a new spot this year and, especially for early season, was looking for a place I could spot and stalk, and then resort to water holes or what not as back up plans.

Anyways, I've attached a picture of where I've been trying (hopefully no one recognizes it :P)

Is there anyone astute enough to tell me "that's terrible" or "I don't see why not" at the very least? Also, the top left of the photo has a meadow, would anyone consider that spot a place to go to for early morning/late evenings?

The ravines in this picture have a fairly good creek running through them, but I'm not finding many wallows...

EDIT: I posted another picture at a different angle. At the very peak it's about 7400 feet and the bottom of the exit ravine is something like 5800. The nearest road is north of the meadow but that would be a steep hike at 1.25 miles birds eye view. It would also be a stupid drive to get to just that one spot if anyone else goes there from that angle. There are no ATV trails, and the main access point would actually be where I'm parking, to the east, at about 3 miles.
Attachments
bitmap2.png
bitmap2.png (581.27 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
bitmap.png
bitmap.png (740.2 KiB) Viewed 2113 times
mjblowers

First Name: Mike
Last Name: B

Re: What do you think of this area?

Postby mandrroofing » 09 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I have not been hunting elk long but from what I've seen and learned is that north facing slope just south east of that meadow may serve as a Bedding area.it looks like thick oak brush?is there any nearby roads or trails thay could pose a threat?
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Postby mjblowers » 09 03, 2013 •  [Post 3]

None. That's why I like it. I have to hike about 3 miles to get to that meadow. I'm think I know what you are referring to ... why would this serve as a bedding area? This is where I fail (mainly) as a hunter...
mjblowers

Postby mandrroofing » 09 03, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I'm assuming your hunting Archary season?two things it "looks" like its the thickest area and its a north facing slope witch in turn would give the elk lots of shade in hottest parts of the day.if here is some water close by and that meadow has grasses they like that's were I would start
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Postby BRazz » 09 03, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I think it looks like a good spot, but there are some missing variables for me. I can't tell what's around it, what the elevation is, where roads/trails are, what the pitch is on those slopes, private/public land, etc. But from what I can see in your photo, there are surely elk in there. Looks like there may be some open enough hillsides to enable you to do some glassing - my advice is to get up high and glass glass glass! Meanwhile, listen and observe and hopefully you can figure out some patterns - ridges the elk particularly like to travel, likely bedding grounds, etc. In my experience, even though several slopes appear equally likely to be bedding areas, the elk prefer one for some unknown reason. Knowing these things takes time, but can pay dividends.

I think the previous post suggested that area looked like a likely bedding area due to the fact that it's north-facing and mostly dark timber.

That meadow you see... it's probably one that I would hike to when the timing was right, but mostly just to see what's there. You could have found yourself a little honey-hole, or it may be pretty bland. Only one way to find out... But since it is on that north slope be careful to not spook out the herd from their beds.

Long story short - I like your spot! Go get one!
BRazz

First Name: B
Last Name: W

Postby mjblowers » 09 03, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I posted another picture at a different angle. At the very peak it's about 7400 feet and the bottom of the exit ravine is something like 5800. The nearest road is north of the meadow but that would be a steep hike at 1.25 miles birds eye view. It would also be a stupid drive to get to just that one spot if anyone else goes there from that angle. There are no ATV trails, and the main access point would actually be where I'm parking, to the east, at about 3 miles.
mjblowers

Postby BRazz » 09 03, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I would bet money that you can find elk in there. It may take a morning or three, but they've got to be in there (that's my opinion, anyway)...
BRazz

First Name: B
Last Name: W