Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How/Where to locate elk before first light

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How/Where to locate elk before first light

Postby recurve » 09 03, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I've been reading and studying everything I can to get ready for Sept 20th when I head to SW Colorado. This is my fourth archery elk hunt. I've done a few guided hunts where I just followed the guide and one solo hunt. Between the elk nut videos, sounds of the elk, playbook, a calling dvd by Joel Turner, and this forum I feel like I at least have the basic knowledge to have a fighting chance this year. I've spent a bunch of time in my garage trying to improve my calling.
One question I have remaining is about locating elk before first light and how you veterans like to do this best. I'm thinking about the thermals that will be coming down hill at that time so I don't want to be at the top of the mountain...correct? Yet I hear guys caution about being down in the lower meadows and spooking feeding elk.

I'm going to be hunting on private land on a ranch in SW Colorado near Lone Mesa State Park. The terrain is basically gentle mountains with scrub oak/oak brush as the predominate feature. When I leave the camp I am going to be using the ranch roads via ATV's until I get to near my desired location. I expect I will park the ATV some ways from the actual range of my intended hunting area and walk in from there. Take me from this point. How and from what vantage point would you guys try to locate elk via listening and minimal location bugles before first light.

Thanks,

Chris
recurve

First Name: Chris

Re: How/Where to locate elk before first light

Postby LarryBud » 09 04, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Good question.

I will face a similar challenge. If you start high, the thermals are wrong. If you start low you are in the meadows.

In my case, it's heavy timber in between. I look forward for some expert advice.
LarryBud

Postby twinkieman » 09 04, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I would go out between 10pm, and midnight and locate them during this time. Once you receive an answer, just mark location and leave. You should be able to find them in the morning relatively easy. We use this method year after year in new areas that we have not hunted before.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby recurve » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Gotta say that the way our camp is set up its going to be a lot easier on my fellow camp mates if I just leave early in the morning to locate rather than during the middle of the night. Just trying to figure out how to ease into a spot to listen and do some light locator bugles without buggering up the very spot I'm hunting.
recurve

First Name: Chris

Postby dtrkyman » 09 07, 2013 •  [Post 5]

A high vantage point!
dtrkyman

First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Marzano

Postby JJ Overkill » 09 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I would agree with calling I the middle of the night, but ive had good luck being on a high vantage point right a day light and give a location bugle. once I hear an answer I figure out the best way to go at them or figure out where there headed. ive gotten close to bulls with this method.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy