Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

DIY Backcountry Question

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

DIY Backcountry Question

Postby Srp » 09 04, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I am planning my first 6-day DIY Elk Hunt the 3rd weeks of September in Idaho. I will be carrying everything on my back (40lbs). I have a newbie question: Do you carry everything with you at all times and cover ground or do you make a camp, hunt for the day and move camp at some point during the day. I am just try to think through my approach, and was hoping some of the backcountry experts could describe their approach.
Srp

First Name: Nick
Last Name: Adams

Re: DIY Backcountry Question

Postby BRazz » 09 04, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Just depends. I have done both alternatives, but if you are planning on taking your camp on your back for all six days that could get tough. I usually only go that route if I'm hunting for less than a couple days. If you have a good idea where the elk will be (have you been there before?), I suggest setting up your camp in a central-ish location and either day hunting from there or taking a low-weight spike camp (bivy + sleeping bag + food/water) for overnighters. Also, you can move camp relatively easily (which you should do if there aren't elk around!!!).
BRazz

First Name: B
Last Name: W

Postby twinkieman » 09 04, 2013 •  [Post 3]

One good thing is that each day your pack becomes lighter. I tend to be mobile until elk are located. Once I have found elk I want to hunt, then I might make camp, other than that I pretty much let camp find me. I also like not having set up a camp, and rest in the heat of the afternoon, then travel some at night, listening for bugling bulls. Sorry you only have 6 days, I like to plan for to have at a minimum 10 days of hunting.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby eriks. » 09 04, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Hey Nick,
So are you from high-country or are you like a lot of us here that live where there is oxygen?

I just got my butt kicked over the last 5 days in CO. I'd trained with weights, backpack and all the things you're supposed to do and I'm sure it helped but when I stepped out of the truck at 11k feet, it mostly didn't matter. The first couple of days are killer with a full pack. I'd consider packing very light and covering a lot of ground until you find the elk. I burned out too soon from too much weight.

If I had it to do over again, I would leave all but the necessities for a few days at the trail-head and be very mobile and get acclimated with a lighter load.
By the time it was said and done, if I would have had a shot opportunity at the furthest back, I would have thought very hard about taking it. I think I found my personal limitations and it wasn't what I expected.

Unless you know where they are, elk are super at playing hide and seek.

Good luck to you and I hope your hunt is all you dreamed.
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons

Postby llewokj » 09 04, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Elk hunting DIY is hard work! But hey, I had to hike to 12,000 feet to find a place to bed down.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378351052.932464.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378351052.932464.jpg (121.56 KiB) Viewed 1799 times

Saw the herd 4 miles away at 13,000 feet!
llewokj

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Kowell

Postby Z Barebow » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 6]

eriks. wrote:Hey Nick,
So are you from high-country or are you like a lot of us here that live where there is oxygen?

I just got my butt kicked over the last 5 days in CO. I'd trained with weights, backpack and all the things you're supposed to do and I'm sure it helped but when I stepped out of the truck at 11k feet, it mostly didn't matter. The first couple of days are killer with a full pack. I'd consider packing very light and covering a lot of ground until you find the elk. I burned out too soon from too much weight.

If I had it to do over again, I would leave all but the necessities for a few days at the trail-head and be very mobile and get acclimated with a lighter load.
By the time it was said and done, if I would have had a shot opportunity at the furthest back, I would have thought very hard about taking it. I think I found my personal limitations and it wasn't what I expected.

Unless you know where they are, elk are super at playing hide and seek.

Good luck to you and I hope your hunt is all you dreamed.

I 100% agree. In the off season, we tend to be pretty brave researching maps and hacking on our PC's doing the research. But those tight lines have meaning. And look at those numbers next to the lines. For most of us, those elevation numbers are much bigger than anything else we encounter in the year. (I live at 900' and elevation change is as flat as 1' per mile).

After 3 days of hunting the backcountry, you will moved from research to reality.

This year will be my 6th backcountry elk hunt and I went on a scouting mission in Aug which reminded me of the above. I was sloppy in loading my pack and brought too much stuff. I scouted with my full pack. (~ 50 lbs) and after 4 days, I was shot. Spiking in and hunting from there is my prefered method. I can cover ground, and if needed relocate camp.

If I were in your shoes, the 1st 3 days would be spiked in at camp A. If you are not on elk, relocate late in day 3 or after day 4 AM hunt.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil