Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

When to make the first call?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

When to make the first call?

Postby mjblowers » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Guys - I'm struggling (it's the whole reason I started trying to find forums)

I just don't see elk much. And I believe it has to do with me, not the location or lack of effort. I go in far, I stay off and away from roads and atv trails. I'm thinking I just call at bad spots or bad times.

I'll be hiking along a ridge at about 7500 feet that slopes down to 6200 or so near it base. Where I'm headed is about 2 miles or so in and not around anyone, and I'll be hiking in the dark. At what point would you stop to do a call sequence? Not until I get to my intended destination? While I'm walking towards my spot? I hear people talking about how they shoot off a bugle and two minutes later something sneaks in quietly - what's to say an in transit location bugle won't do the same thing, only, I won't ever see him since I'll be hiking towards my spot?

So. Confused/Frustrated.
mjblowers

First Name: Mike
Last Name: B

Re: When to make the first call?

Postby twinkieman » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 2]

If you are already hiking in ,in the dark, I would fire off location bugles as I was hiking in. If you get a response, I would not answer. I locate elk every year in the dark. I don't know how many elk are in your area, but if you have elk there you should hear them at some point. I don't claim to be an expert, but this has worked well for me.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby GetemDuck » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 3]

You did not mention what you were seeing as far as sign to confirm the elk are in the area? I'm no elk expert but I know some areas I have hunted that it does not hold elk all the time.
GetemDuck

First Name: Brad
Last Name: W

Postby mjblowers » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 4]

At the moment it's just prints and poop. A rare scraping is seen here and there... and I did have a raghorn sneak up on me prior to opening day.
mjblowers

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 5]

It's really hard say why you aren't getting a response. There is no bad time to call and the only bad spot to call from is where the elk can't hear you. Remember, scat and tracks doesn't mean there's always elk around. The bulls will migrate down to the cows as rut approaches. Also, don't think because your 2 miles from the nearest road you'll see elk. Last year we bugled up ~ 15 bulls in a 4 day period. All but 2 were within a 1/2 mile from a main paved road. And the year before we found all our elk in wilderness about 3 miles from a main road.

My best advice is work the location bugle over and over again until you get a response. Even if that means trying a spot closer to a road. Putting yourself in an “elky” area is half the battle.

My 2-cents!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby mjblowers » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I appreciate it.

I always tell myself that I'd rather get nothing than get something near a road/camp. It's all about the experience/hunt etc.,... I think I need to back off from that because I have way better luck close to home.
mjblowers

Postby GetemDuck » 09 06, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Alway hunt where the elk are, if that is 2 miles in go there if they are 1/2 mile in go there. When i go 1-2 miles back, it is to avoid other hunters not to find bigger elk. I'm sure you'll have a great season, you learn some every year you do it.
GetemDuck

First Name: Brad
Last Name: W