Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Cold Calling Confidence and Questions

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Cold Calling Confidence and Questions

Postby JGH » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I may have time for a short weekend-type hunt before my week off, and if so, will try some cold-calling in some likely spots. The trouble for me is CONFIDENCE. Cold calling is something I've never made work, so I've got some questions.

1. I know there are variables, but are there some rough thoughts on duration of calling and duration of waiting?

2. I understand the idea is to "Paint a picture" for a nearby bull to want to check out. What "picture" do you paint?

3. Since elk can hone in on a call with accuracy, do you move from a calling position, say 30-40 yards, or stay put?

In short, though I know there are variables, I'm looking for a standard "routine" that can be varied ... but I need that standard to start with.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Re: Cold Calling Confidence and Questions

Postby Vanish » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Watching this thread, as this is something I still struggle with, too! I had my first success with cold calling this past weekend but there have been too many setups where nothing happened that I wondered if it was just coincidence. My guess is I just haven't been calling where elk are within earshot.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 3]

JGH wrote:I may have time for a short weekend-type hunt before my week off, and if so, will try some cold-calling in some likely spots. The trouble for me is CONFIDENCE. Cold calling is something I've never made work, so I've got some questions.

1. I know there are variables, but are there some rough thoughts on duration of calling and duration of waiting?

2. I understand the idea is to "Paint a picture" for a nearby bull to want to check out. What "picture" do you paint?

3. Since elk can hone in on a call with accuracy, do you move from a calling position, say 30-40 yards, or stay put?

In short, though I know there are variables, I'm looking for a standard "routine" that can be varied ... but I need that standard to start with.

1. Duration depends on how "elky" the area is. Use your gut instinct on this.

2. Here's a few cold calling idea's that you can use to paint the picture.

1) Estrus Buzz
a. Calls: Estrus Buzz
b. Accompanying Sounds: Ground Noise
c. Impression: Cow looking for other elk.
d. Usage: Estrus Buzz 6 to 10 times in a minute. Act as if you are a cow frantic to find other elk.
2) Location Bugle
a. Calls: Location Bugle
b. Accompanying Sounds: Ground Noise, Raking
c. Impression: Bull looking for other elk
d. Usage: Location Bugle every 60 seconds, stomp, rake, and act as if you are a lone bull wanting to find company.
3) Scalable Herd Talk
a. Calls: Mews, Chirps, Chuckles, Spike Squeal
b. Accompanying Sounds: Ground Noise, Raking
c. Impression: Elk herd talk going from normal herd talk to excited chatter.
d. Usage: Start out slow with spaced mews, slow picking up the down time and eventually working into calls sounding over the top of each other. Throw in chuckles and squeals.
4) Lost Cow/Calf
a. Calls: Lost Cow/Calf
b. Accompanying Sounds: Ground Noise
c. Impression: Cow lost from the herd and wants to get back
d. Usage: Lost cow sounds
5) Breading Sequence
a. Calls: Mews, Estrus Whines(sparingly),Glunks,Chuckles,Scream,Bugles,Short Lip Bawl.
b. Accompanying Sounds: Lots of Ground Noise, Raking
c. Impression: Very irritable bull because one of his cows are coming into estrus and he’s having a hard time keeping them together.
d. Usage: The elk are talking all at once especially the bull, he will thrash/rake & stomp around with lots of 10-15 yd pacing/bugling & chuckling.
6) Battling Bulls
a. Calls: Mews, Glunks,Chuckles,Scream,Bugles,Short Lip Bawl,Growls
b. Accompanying Sounds: Lots of Ground Noise Raking
c. Impression: Two bulls fighting each other. Cow on the fringe of the battle
d. Usage: Two callers bugling at each other slowly working towards each other. Third caller cow calls way from the action.

3. Stay in cover and always be ready for the shot. I never move unless the sequence is over or tactics change.

Just my 2-cents!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby BRazz » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Take it or leave it, here is what I do. I'll preface it by saying that there are times when simply nothing happens at all (like my opening weekend), whether because elk aren't around or they're not interested in the particular noises you're making. This is what I do to imitate a small herd; there are times that for one reason or another I feel like imitating a single bachelor bull, or even a pair of bachelor bulls. Also, as you mentioned, there are so many variables and an elk's mood can fluctuate severely... but through the years this has become my go-to basics for a cold calling:

1. Make sure you're in a favorable spot. That includes several components, such as:
a. Monitor the wind based on where you think elk are
b. Make sure you have cover and the ability to see - but not so open the elk can spot you
c. Select an elky location at the appropriate time of day (e.g. near feeding areas first thing in morning)
2. I start with a couple soft cow calls. If you're lucky there may be an elk very close by. Short and chirpy, mimicking a single cow just hanging out. Make a few calls for about 15 seconds then sit for a minute or three in between. Repeat for ~5-10 minutes total.
3. Gradually add some more cow sounds, both in sound variety and number of critters you are mimicking. This could be a cow and calf, a couple/few cows, or any combination thereof. Again, I usually keep it soft, call for 10-30 second increments, and wait a few minutes between sets.
4. During the softer calling, I prefer to not move. I've been busted at that moment too many times... In fact, I rarely move during a setup unless I hear elk coming from a particular location. Since they have a tendency of coming when and from where you least expect, it can do just as much harm as good. Instead, I throw my calls around using my hand and my lips - make it sound like the herd is moving a little.
5. After 10-20 minutes total, I will eventually increase volume and intensity of the calling. I start a set softly, then pretend that a single cow is starting to act a little ... in heat ... and her mew become longer and louder. I will slowly lower the volume at the end to simulate things settling down again. Each set becomes a little more desperate and rowdy.
6. Bull sounds are the wildcard for me. Sometimes I introduce them after 5 minutes, occasionally after 30 minutes. But the sounds are consistent with the sounds of the cow/calf herd. That is, if cows are just hanging out, then so it the bull (more or less). If a cow is getting estrousy, then the bull gets horny and fired up.
7. Depending on how I'm feeling, the elkiness of the spot, and the history of the last day or two, I sit in one spot for anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour (usually more like 30-40). The 10-minute spots are just quick checks as I move to my better spot.

Rarely are two setups very much the same, but that is about as general as it gets. I've learned that your sounds don't need to be very perfect (see my post on Tuesday from last weekend's outing). Also, I don't claim to be the best at this, though I've called in a pretty good amount of elk. Lastly, it seems like when the elk are around, the elk are everywhere... If you have success calling in a couple elk, you just might get a couple more right up the ridge. If you aren't getting anything, they are likely on another hillside altogether.

My $.02
BRazz

First Name: B
Last Name: W

Postby Vanish » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Good stuff
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 6]

viewforum.php?f=18

Here is an article I wrote in the Archived tips section of this forum. It is about the fourth from the bottom of the post. Check it out and save me a lot of typing. LOL!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby JGH » 09 05, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Great stuff, men. Exactly what I was looking for.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle