Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Rino GPS question

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Rino GPS question

Postby six » 09 07, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Just got my rino last week and I love it. My bro in law and I took them out last weekend for a test run. It will be so great knowing where your hunting partners are at. I love the idea of being able to send the message "elk down" to everyone.
My question is how are you rino users charging them in the mountain. I have a cigarette lighter plug that will accept the USB cable just not sure if its OK to charge them this way. I don't mind buying the car charger if I have to.

Thank you
six

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Cool

Re: Rino GPS question

Postby mandrroofing » 09 07, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I have yet to use mine but I think I'm going to use lithium batteries just carry extras
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Postby dapper » 09 07, 2013 •  [Post 3]

We are taking lith. batteries on our backpack hunt. I agree it'll be nice knowing where my son is and that help will be on its way it one of us get an elk down. I just hope they work from one basin into the next. This will be our first year with them.

Good luck
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring

Postby hornart » 09 12, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Just mark Elk Down as a waypoint and send it, it wont matter where they are hunting, they will get it
hornart

First Name: steve
Last Name: smith

Postby mandrroofing » 09 12, 2013 •  [Post 5]

hornart wrote:Just mark Elk Down as a waypoint and send it, it wont matter where they are hunting, they will get it

i was understanding you had to be within "range" to get and receive messages?
mandrroofing

Postby kevin_t » 09 13, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I take extra batteries and usually do not leave it on all the time. Usually we have pre determined check in times
kevin_t
Site Sponsor

First Name: kevin
Last Name: timm

Postby Norrec » 09 13, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I use mine all the time when I go spotting or even hiking to make spots for everyone. They are great if I go out for 5 days I will need to change out batteries once during that period and that is leaving it on almost continuously.
Norrec

First Name: Jeremy
Last Name: Reed

Postby hornart » 09 13, 2013 •  [Post 8]

We carry extra batteries and we leave them on as long as someone is out in the field, the talk to talk wont work unless your in range but waypoints are transfered by satelite so it doesnt matter if your not in line of sight with another, and being able to send your whereabouts is very useful.
hornart

First Name: steve
Last Name: smith

Postby mandrroofing » 09 13, 2013 •  [Post 9]

hornart wrote:We carry extra batteries and we leave them on as long as someone is out in the field, the talk to talk wont work unless your in range but waypoints are transfered by satelite so it doesnt matter if your not in line of sight with another, and being able to send your whereabouts is very useful.

Good to know about the waypoints
mandrroofing