Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Oak Brush questions

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Oak Brush questions

Postby Chellky » 09 08, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hey guys this is my first time posting but have been learking for some time. Lots of great info on the site.

So here is my first question, I have scouted out an area that is south facing with lots of oak brush. There were small acorns on the these trees. Elevation was around 8500 range. The area has a mix of Aspens and willow too. There was a ton of elk sigh in this area and I had seen more than a few in this area. Its mostly thick and would seem kinda hard to hunt. Im a white tail hunter so Im used to thick so that part wouldnt bother me.

If you go up to 10k in elevation from this area then there are meadows and pine and aspen too. Farther south threw the elk brush there is public land. So my first question is would this be a good area to sit on a few runs all day during the first few days of season and see if anything gets pushed towards the private land threw this oak brush thicket?

Also do elk eat the acorns that grow on the oak brush? I have searched for this answer a lot and cannot find an answer to this question. There was a ton of bear sign too so I was also wondering if bear eat the acorns too?

And since I dont know anything about oak brush does anyone have a species name for this plant? And would you know if they produce acorns every year?

Thanks for any and all answers!
Chellky

First Name: Chuck
Last Name: J

Re: Oak Brush questions

Postby mtnmutt » 09 08, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Bears love the acorns. Elk love the vegetation in aspen groves and there maybe good vegetation for them in the oak brush too . Sorry I can't answer more. I am not very experienced at elk hunting.
mtnmutt

Postby Coveyleader » 09 08, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Elk love Oakbrush. The area I Hunt ranges from 8000 all way up until 10,000. I have killed my share of elk right in the Oakbrush. They do eat the acorns but you'll find them eating the leaves right off the trees as well.

One thing great about the elk in the Oakbrush is they cannot see you until the shot is very close. If you are a traditional archer or one that likes close shots the Oakbrush is the place to be. You will rarely get a shot over 20 yards in this stuff. It can be noisy to hunt but again unless the wind betrays you it does not matter

Depending how big the Oakbrush is the elk will bed right in it although a south facing slope would not offer much comfort for them because its normally very very hot in there. My best places in the Oakbrush are large mountainsides filled with Oakbrush with small strips of dark timber running down into the Oakbrush but again they will bed right in it. I can't think of one area that I hunt that is south facing that holds elk during the day.The South facing slopes in my area are normally transition areas from the timber through it.

Good luck
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Postby easeup » 09 08, 2013 •  [Post 4]

ah yes; the oak brush.
it is your best friend or worst enemy.
one thing about it is the elk are in it.
easeup