Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Opening Day in Montana-Elk but not meat

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Opening Day in Montana-Elk but not meat

Postby crazyaboutelk » 09 08, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Well an adventurous day in the Montana Elk woods. I hiked in and was almost to my glassing spot at first shooting light. I looked up on the hill and saw a cow feeding, so I slipped up the other side of the small leader ridge. I got to the top and didn't see the cow. So, I cow called from some brush a couple of times. I saw a head turn and there was a 5x5 bull. I gave him a little and let him feed and called cowed again but he kept feeding around a logging road. I let a locator bugle and he continued to ignore me and walked on out the road. So, I waited a few minutes to see if any other elk would answer or show themselves. I slowly worked towards the logging road. I followed the bull because I wanted to see where he was headed and maybe how many elk were with him.

I got to the logging road and followed it around the bend. I let a locate bugle ( the bull had been out of sight for 30 minutes now). I thought I would see where he was at and if I could effectively setup for him. However, the locate bugle brought him straight to me. So here I am, hunting solo, in the middle of a logging road with little cover. I had just enough time to duck behind some brush and pull on my "face mask" before I saw antlers. He messed around behind brush for what seemed like forever. I didn't have a shot even with him within 20 yards. Finally he moved closer and was about to step into an opening where I had a spot about the size of basketball to shoot through( at 10 yds). I drew my bow and he jumped back about 10 yds but I still did not have a shot. He must have seen me draw. He ran down the him about 75 yards and slowly walked off. An exciting encounter, but definitely not as I intended.

Just a quick question for some of you. I have been in this area (this year) twice (once to scout the other to hunt). I have seen the same bull and a cow and calf but not there elk. I put quite a few miles on yesterday after this encounter simply trying to find where other elk might be, but to no avail. Is it typical for a just a few elk like this to hold up together? Do I need to expand my hunting area to find other cows? Last year I was seeing almost 20 head in this area, but obviously elk move around.
crazyaboutelk

First Name: Gabe
Last Name: Jo

Re: Opening Day in Montana-Elk but not meat

Postby BRazz » 09 09, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Just a quick question for some of you. I have been in this area (this year) twice (once to scout the other to hunt). I have seen the same bull and a cow and calf but not there elk. I put quite a few miles on yesterday after this encounter simply trying to find where other elk might be, but to no avail. Is it typical for a just a few elk like this to hold up together? Do I need to expand my hunting area to find other cows? Last year I was seeing almost 20 head in this area, but obviously elk move around.

In my experience, if you've found elk in an area consistenly, there is a good probability of finding elk in there again. Sounds like you've got a spot that the elk like, and that means they're likely to be there again - there are probably more around (or will be shortly). Elk move around a lot, even without pressure, so it's probably just a matter of time before you run into other elk in your area. With that said, you could be just over the hill from a hotspot. Probably worth your time to learn how elk use the broader area where you are hunting.
BRazz

First Name: B
Last Name: W