Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Co unit 421,521,52

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Co unit 421,521,52

Postby Castnblast » 09 08, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Ok looking for a couple of archery season spots. I am not looking for anyone's spot to start with. I have a couple of requirements. 1 elk in the area during early season. 2 easy access for a base camp for the family to stay while I hike in every day. 3 would like to be away from most of the atv crowd. 4 I would like it to be a met hunting spot mostly with some decent bulls around. Looking at the junction of 421,521,52. In info would help good or bad. Pm me if you don't want to post anything for all the see. Thanks
Castnblast

First Name: Jack
Last Name: Rentz

Re: Co unit 421,521,52

Postby BRazz » 09 12, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I've not hunted there, but I know some folks who have. I've also met a ranch hand who runs cattle in the area. Lastly, I considered the area a couple years ago and got in touch with a DWM out there. Here is the consensus from these several folks:

Elk aplenty are in the area, but as soon as the season starts there are hunters aplenty as well. The private land havens are soon filled up and massive herds of elk spend 100% of their time on the wrong side of the fence. Lots of ATV trails and traffic run through there, which may be a good or bad thing depending on your style.

That said, the success rates are pretty decent and the size of the elk herd is ridiculous (caveat: these success numbers may be a bit inflated by private property hunters). The other hunters I know are not very ... hardcore ... so take their feedback with a grain of salt. The country looks too promising to make it a bad spot. There simply must be honey holes in there, but like any new hunting area, there is no substitute for experience.
BRazz

First Name: B
Last Name: W

Re: Co unit 421,521,52

Postby Castnblast » 09 13, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Thanks for the heads up. I think your sources are spot on. Will let you know how it goes.
Castnblast

First Name: Jack
Last Name: Rentz