Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Estrus date vs rutting activity?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby cantgetdrawn » 09 14, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I saw a thread on AT that got me thinking of this.

This is a question for the experts. Does the peak of rutting activity (Bugling, fighting, raking, etc.) necessarily coincide with the date that the majority of cows go into estrus?

Back when I used to get drawn, I seemed to observe more rutting activity in late sept. and very early oct. (right before the ML season in NM). Could it be Bulls get desperate to hook up with those cows that did not get impregnated the first time around?
cantgetdrawn

Postby Herb » 09 14, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Herb

Location: The Corner of Nebraska that is Too Far from Colorado
First Name: S
Last Name: Herb

Re: Estrus date vs rutting activity?

Postby Birks » 09 15, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I've Read lots of theories people have.
Some believe the moon phases have an effect on the rut.
I've read that 7-10 days before and after the Solstice they are more active in rutting.
and where i hunt they seem to wait for frost before they become overly vocal.
Birks

First Name: Randy
Last Name: Birkholz

Postby Trophyhill » 09 15, 2013 •  [Post 4]

photo periodism is the onset of the rut starting in early August. the bulls rub velvet off and polish their antlers up a bit. and a week to 10 days later the first cows come into estrus and will continue to come into estrus about every 3 weeks until bred. I think absolutely "peak of rut" coincides with more cows being in estrus the later the season gets. I think frustration by inferior bulls and displaying willingness/eagerness to breed also plays a part in hearing more bugling too. this being said, just because we don't hear them early doesn't mean the elk aren't rutting and often times are referred to as pre rut but pre rut means something different to me that all takes place around the onset or before the first cows come in to heat. after the cows come into heat the bulls are rutting. to what degree you hear vocalizations depends on how many cows are in heat. i'm no elk expert, only going on what I have seen so far in my brief elk killing career.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 15, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Well, you are pretty much right on target there David. By the way, are you back in the lower 48 yet?
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Trophyhill » 09 15, 2013 •  [Post 6]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Well, you are pretty much right on target there David. By the way, are you back in the lower 48 yet?

yes I got back the first week of August and had a successful hunt in southern CO opening week. heading back up with an antlerless tag as soon as the rain clears which looks like Tuesday or Wednesday. how has the rain affected the area you live? my prayers are with all you folks that live in CO.
Trophyhill

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 16, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Rain was no problem on the western slope here. But I guess terrible over on the east side.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby cantgetdrawn » 09 16, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Trophyhill wrote:to what degree you hear vocalizations depends on how many cows are in heat.

This is the only part of your statement I am unsure about. I keep hearing the majority of calves get dropped at the same time each year so it stand to reason that that the majority of cows come into estrus at the same time. I don't think majority of bugling My theory from my limited experience is that its those cow that were missed the first time around that cause bulls to become aggressive, trying to score in the 4th quarter as it were.

You've killed at least two more bull than me so to me your an expert :D I guess the rest of the experts are out trying to get more bulls on the ground.

BTW did you see any big bucks while helping your friends in unit 36 of NM?
cantgetdrawn

Postby Trophyhill » 09 16, 2013 •  [Post 9]

cantgetdrawn wrote:
Trophyhill wrote:to what degree you hear vocalizations depends on how many cows are in heat.

This is the only part of your statement I am unsure about. I keep hearing the majority of calves get dropped at the same time each year so it stand to reason that that the majority of cows come into estrus at the same time. I don't think majority of bugling My theory from my limited experience is that its those cow that were missed the first time around that cause bulls to become aggressive, trying to score in the 4th quarter as it were.

You've killed at least two more bull than me so to me your an expert :D I guess the rest of the experts are out trying to get more bulls on the ground.

BTW did you see any big bucks while helping your friends in unit 36 of NM?

no I did not. saw a few does and I wasn't hunting near the Hondo Valley where you can see the big bucks feeding in the alphalpha fields and apple orchards. there were so many screamin bulls that I think the mulies wanted no part of the action. i'll leave your other questions to the real experts. as I said i'm going off of what I've experienced the last 6 years and also what I've read in the book "North American Elk Ecology and Management". understanding the rut from beginning to end has paid dividends for me the last couple of years but I still have a lot to learn.
Trophyhill