Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Ratio of bugles/encounters?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Ratio of bugles/encounters?

Postby mjblowers » 09 16, 2013 •  [Post 1]

After another weekend, AGAIN, of "I got within 100 yards but couldn't ever see him"... I'm just at a loss. I have a greater understanding of what calls to use/not use. I tried the silent stuff, attempting to locate the bull off of a bugle and just going straight at him (still don't know how you can do that from 1 ridge over...) and I just COULDN'T get close to one.

That being said I did have one COMPLETELY ghost in on me at 80 yards and was gone as quickly and as silently as he came in.

So, for all of you out there. What would you say your ratio is of being able to turn a distant bugle into a sub 100 visual is?

Mine currently is sitting at about 5% or 1/20. I'm not a mathematician or anything but I think that's bad.
mjblowers

First Name: Mike
Last Name: B

Re: Ratio of bugles/encounters?

Postby BRazz » 09 16, 2013 •  [Post 2]

mjblowers wrote:What would you say your ratio is of being able to turn a distant bugle into a sub 100 visual is?

Depends on the day and the bull.

Distant bugles that are one-and-done = very slim chance of a visual at <100 yds.
Distant bugles but going crazy = maybe a 50% chance of a visual, depending on lots of variables such as the terrain I need to cover, the direction the elk is headed, etc...
BRazz

First Name: B
Last Name: W

Postby Trophyhill » 09 16, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Depending on terrain on those distant bugles......he better be ready :)
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby easeup » 09 16, 2013 •  [Post 4]

at least you are hearing bugles....
easeup

Postby Indian Summer » 09 16, 2013 •  [Post 5]

easeup wrote:at least you are hearing bugles....

Heck yeah!

For me, in timber... 1 out of 3. Where I prefer to hunt.... 90%. That's why I hunt there.

While you're on the subject.... even if I could hear, lol, I'd still hunt some semi open country. We all talk about calls, setups, etc but if you want my ratio on how many times the plan is to call elk to me versus the times I'm in ambush mode trying to get ahead of them to be in the right place at the right time it would be 50/50. I guess I'm a page from Chuck Adam's notebook in that I look at calling as a way to locate as much or more than to entice bulls to come in for a shot. I look at the situation and take into account how cooperative the bulls have been recently in the area and make a decision: Move in set up and call, or haul a$$ to flank them and eventually get a step ahead even if it takes half a day or more. When it all comes together the animal is just doing his thing instead of glaring through the timber on full alert after pinpointing my location deciding whether to come further, hang up, or retreat.

Trying to sneak in from behind is not an easy thing to do. I've sat and talked to Mr Adams about his technique and he hunts country where you can keep up with elk. Not a luxury I've ever had really. But I do I recall my antelope days when you could actually see the game but had no cover so had to use the lay of the land to get ahead and let them come to you on their own. I'd cover miles just to get to the spot without being seen. More often than not this is all but impossible in timber although if you really know the lay of your land and the patterns and hangouts of the elk you can guess where they're heading. Time is the only thing that can get you to that point. Before the Montana 250 unit went to limited permits I'd hunted and guided it full time for years. After about 8 years I said to myself... I've been roaming this place before most of these elk were born. The best feeling was seeing elk just about anywhere and pretty much knowing why they were there and where they were going.

I'd say you're in the right area. Priceless. How long have you hunted the area? Are the elk pressured? I hate places where the bulls bugle but it means adios amigos EVERY time. Usually they are elk that are close to roads etc or somewhere that they regularly see human activity but for some reason they stay there.

I feel your pain but I think it's just a matter of time and the ol' learning curve. Spend time learning every nook and cranny and listen to bulls at night. Keep gathering those puzzle pieces and it'll come together. Hopefully you'll be calling from a place where you know the elk feel comfortable going. You'll be one of them!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro