Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2013 MT Public Land Elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2013 MT Public Land Elk

Postby Backcountry » 09 19, 2013 •  [Post 1]

This elk season started much like any other. I had spent months scouring forums, researching maps, and putting boots to the ground. I had scouted an area that was healthy with sign throughout the summer and a place I was sure would produce. Three weeks before our season opened a massive fire erupted effectively closing down any and all access to my “Honey Hole”. Fortunately, with joint efforts the blaze was beat back and my access was again opened with a week to spare.

Opening morning found me red eyed and cruising up the mountain in the dark of night. I arrived at my gate two hours before daylight. My plan was to head in on an old logging road and get setup up in a saddle that was an easy three miles in. This, however, was quickly put on hold with the discovery that I had forgotten my release at home. Rookie. Down the mountain I go and then back up. The rest of the day followed in the same fashion as I battled alder brush, torrential rains, and zero sign. Oh well, I can cross this spot off the list.

The next few outings produced much of the same luck. Good looking country with a meager amount of sign. Not what I was hoping for. Going into the second week of season I knew I needed to find some more solid ground to build on. After going over more maps, talking with a co-worker, and consulting with my hunting partner, Josh (MTLongdraw), we landed on a spot to try.

Our anticipations were high when the headlights went out at the trail head. We had arrived about thirty minutes before daylight yet elected to wait for shooting light before we headed in. The rising sun brought us exactly what we were after... Lush meadows, high lodge pole ridges, and anticipation to follow. Our first few hours were spent heading deeper into the area and sending out some pleading location bugles. After several failed attempts to locate a vocal elk we elected to pick yet another location to call from and catch a quick bite.

We got settled into a comfortable position and I sent out a few locators. Nothing. We chewed down a few protein bars avoiding the fact that we had yet to cut any concrete sign. Twenty minutes into our sit everything changed, we heard a bugle. At first we were unsure of its original location or if it was even an elk. We had only a few minutes to wait as he bugled again. Definitely an Elk! We quickly grabbed our gear and headed off the mountain in the bulls direction. After another bugle we pinned the bull to a ridge across the meadow from our current location.

We made haste to where we thought the bull was and setup. Josh sent out a few cow calls to be returned in complete silence. I grew impatient and threw out yet another bugle. The bull instantly answered with a grunt and a dozen chuckles. He sounded within a few hundred yards. We moved towards higher ground to gain the thermals and stopped in a good looking spot where Josh let out another bugle.

This time we did not get a vocal answer. Instead, the bull finally committed and was on his way in. I knocked an arrow and jumped down the hill fifteen yards and got setup. I had no more than stopped when I caught four black legs coming through the trees. The bull turned and headed straight towards me. I drew my bow and readied for the shot. The bull was on a collision course with me and it was apparent it was not going to change. I had a small opening in front of me at ten yards. When the bull neared this I let out a small mew and he stopped in his tracks.

I caught a slight flash of my fletchings as they covered the ten yards and disappeared into the bulls chest. He quickly whirled and took off. Josh and I met this with a slurry of cow calls and bugles. He stopped just out of sight for a few seconds before we heard a loud crash and silence. After the longest 30 minutes of my life we snuck down to inspect the shot location. We found the first blood about 15 yards out and it was instantly clear that he could not have gone far. Thirty yards later we found my bull piled up against a log.

P1030290ab.jpg
P1030290ab.jpg (369.7 KiB) Viewed 4483 times

IMG_0483a.jpg
IMG_0483a.jpg (411.53 KiB) Viewed 4483 times

After several pictures and hand shakes we got to work on the elk. We quickly got him quartered, bagged on were on our way for the two and a half mile trek to the truck. Nearly 9 hours after the shot we trudged to the truck with our final load. We were done!

IMG_0484a.jpg
IMG_0484a.jpg (373.09 KiB) Viewed 4483 times

This hunt could not have happened without a tip from my co-worker, Steve, and of course the calling and support of Josh. I also have to thank my family and wife for the constant support over the past few years. Now onto paying it forward to Josh and preparing for next year.
Backcountry

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Barnett

Re: 2013 MT Public Land Elk

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 19, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Dave, congrats very nice bud!! Great details in your story, thanks a ton for sharing it! Good stuff.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Backcountry » 09 19, 2013 •  [Post 3]

ElkNut1 wrote:Dave, congrats very nice bud!! Great details in your story, thanks a ton for sharing it! Good stuff.

ElkNut1

Thanks Paul.One thing that has been nagging me. He was all alone. What did the 8-10 grunts after he groaned mean?
Backcountry

Postby BrentLaBere » 09 19, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Nice work Backcountry. Great success story and way to stay with it through all that adversity.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby BRazz » 09 19, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Nice work!!! I loved reading your story!!! My season has started like yours did (lots of one-sided location bugles), so I'm hoping it ends like yours...

Backcountry wrote:
ElkNut1 wrote:Dave, congrats very nice bud!! Great details in your story, thanks a ton for sharing it! Good stuff.

ElkNut1

Thanks Paul.One thing that has been nagging me. He was all alone. What did the 8-10 grunts after he groaned mean?

Since you had been making cow calls, my guess is he was trying to swoon some of the cows his way...
BRazz

First Name: B
Last Name: W

Postby BRazz » 09 19, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Also, based on your story I'm picturing you took him with a frontal shot - true? Don't want to open up that can, but at 10 yards that's a shot I'd take too. Obviously you did some quick and devastating damage.
BRazz

Postby Backcountry » 09 19, 2013 •  [Post 7]

BRazz wrote:Also, based on your story I'm picturing you took him with a frontal shot - true? Don't want to open up that can, but at 10 yards that's a shot I'd take too. Obviously you did some quick and devastating damage.

Frontal shot, yes. It's something I have been researching for a few years now, this is the first time I have tried it. Obviously, this is reserved for ideal conditions.

He lived less than 15 seconds.
Backcountry

Postby BRazz » 09 19, 2013 •  [Post 8]

cnelk would be proud
BRazz

Postby Cha55dd » 09 19, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Great bull and great story! Hoping to do the same In a few weeks!
Cha55dd

First Name: Chadd
Last Name: Roadarmel

Postby WindedBowhunter » 09 19, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Great story and congrats on the nice bull!
Keep the wind in your face
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
WindedBowhunter
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy
Last Name: Hassall

Postby bnsafe » 09 19, 2013 •  [Post 11]

congrats, what an accomplishment
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Backcountry » 09 20, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Thanks everyone! Should have the skull back from my beetle guy in two weeks, can't wait!
Backcountry

Postby MTLongdraw » 09 20, 2013 •  [Post 13]

This story is still sweet! Hey do us all a favor and turn on your GoPro next time!!! You know, one more thing to worry about right before you shoot an elk. :lol:
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby Backcountry » 09 20, 2013 •  [Post 14]

MTLongdraw wrote:This story is still sweet! Hey do us all a favor and turn on your GoPro next time!!! You know, one more thing to worry about right before you shoot an elk. :lol:

Haha, still upset about that. Everything happened too quick!
Backcountry

Postby redtop » 09 20, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Well done! I've killed two with the frontal shot and it works. Inside 10 yds. Great write up.
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson