Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

observed a small herd yesterday

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

observed a small herd yesterday

Postby cantgetdrawn » 09 19, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I am deer hunting and decided to check out an area I saw a nice buck last year. The wind was wrong so I circled around. About a 200 yards in I started hearing bugles in back of me. I kept walking since I was there to hunt deer.

I kept hearing what I figured was a small bull bugling and then some raking. After making the circle I ended up on top of a hill looking down on my vehicle when I heard another bugle in the small valley to the right next to the road. I could pin point the bugle in a small clump of trees about 200-300 yards away. I put my binos on the spot and saw two bulls in single file. I realize a second later that it was a 6x6 chasing a 4x4 bull. As the big bull continued chasing the small one, cow started appearing in the small valley (meadow), they were fairly spread out. After the chasing stopped the smaller bull started feeding about a 100 yards from the big bull. The small bull keep looking over at the cows, there were a few junipers between him and the big bull so I don't know if they could see each other. The big bull however started bugling and grunting. I assume that was a message to the satellite to stay away from his cow.

I enjoyed watching them and wished I could have watched them longer but I have a deer tag to fill. I didn't see any other hunters in the area yesterday, this morning I returned there were 2 groups of elk hunters there, I guess someone else saw them sometime yesterday.
cantgetdrawn