Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

4th quarter is upon us! What is your game plan?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

4th quarter is upon us! What is your game plan?

Postby elkaholic » 09 20, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Some of us have already tasted elk success this year and others have tasted a couple crap sammichs. What is your game plan heading into the final week of September? New areas, new tactics, ect.

My partner and I hunted opening weekend and were blessed to be in elk every day. We head back for the final 9 day hunt hungry to get 1 or even 2 bulls on the ground. Our plan is to hunt as hard as we can for 9 days. (We have 48 weeks to get rested for next year.(grin)) We are heading into an area I scouted earlier but we have not hunted. If the hunting isn't good we will relocate to the area we were in opening weekend and hunt that there. The temperatures are thankfully cooling and there is a chance of precipitation mid week. Let the games begin!

Good luck to everyone and be safe.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Re: 4th quarter is upon us! What is your game plan?

Postby Vanish » 09 20, 2013 •  [Post 2]

9 Days

Base Camp and Remote Camp

Lots of planning ... hoping to stick one in the morning and mess up all that planning, in a good way :D

As long as the guys on horseback didn't push those elk out since last time, I think we could be in for a real treat!

Good way to set myself up for disappointment though. :?
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby Z Barebow » 09 20, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I am heading for MT tomorrow. For me, it isn't the 4th quarter, it is the whole ball game. I'll be out almost 2 weeks.

I have a plan A and plan B area. Plan A I scouted this summer. No much in numbers but chance of a dandy. (I'll shoot 1st legal bull though) Plan B is a couple of hours away from A. If needed I'll move there on day 6 or 7 and finish out my season for 7 days or so.

I is my hope the bulls are bugling and I'll be be on them in short order. I suspect hey will be herded up and it might be tough to cunter the number of eyeballs, but we will see. If not, my boots are made for walking and my binocs are made for glassing.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby Sucobowhunter » 09 20, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Hunt, hunt, hunt.. This weekend gonna do some day hunts around my home(had a bull at 30 this morn and when he came into the lane I drew and the sun creeped out and was right in my eyes..lame.. then he didn't make it to 20 lane and when he went thru 30 lane again sun was raging) then gonna go bivy with the chick for a couple then day hunt final weekend if needed.. I've hiked over 30 miles this season so far but I got 335 days to recover till next season.. Hunt hard and have fun..
Sucobowhunter

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Heney

Postby Lefty » 09 20, 2013 •  [Post 5]

More elk move into where I hunt this time of the season creating a larger herd, with the elk being more active later in the morning, and earlier in the afternoon.
Bulls actually bugle during daylight hours.
I will start calling, short if any afternoon nap much lesscalling and listening earlier in the moring hoping to get in on a bull.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Coveyleader » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Its been a good season so far. I killed a cow and passed on three legal bulls all under 25yds. I'm taking off Tuesday and will hunt until Saturday here in CO. My plan? Chase bugles and head into the timber. I had so much fun this last time chasing bulls into the timber I cannot wait.

I normally kill my bulls the first week and decided to pass a few this year to get into the last week. It's been a long time since I've hunted this late and wanted to get a taste of it again. It has been fun. Get out of tent, listen, and head to MR. Bugle. I will say after traveling all year and little time to prepare, I'm walking those hills flat!

FYI, be careful, I fell last week coming down a moutain (first time ever) and I have a bigger bump on the back of my head than a spike in June.

Take care
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Postby BRazz » 09 22, 2013 •  [Post 7]

My gameplan won't change, but maybe it should! I've had a very slow season, with the exception of a single encounter with a small herd - but didn't get my shot off. But I'm counting on the elk to continue to get more fired up through the rest of the month, and with a few days free from the muzzleloader hunters maybe they'll be a bit more cooperative.

So I'm just going to stick with it for the last four days of the season, give 'er heck, and hope for the best.
BRazz

First Name: B
Last Name: W

Postby BrentLaBere » 09 23, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Waiting for October 2nd to get here to head back for round two in MT. Only 4 more days to hunt but its what I have to work with. Same area as the first trip and hoping to get into elk again..... this time make the right shot!
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere