Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I don't know what happened

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

I don't know what happened

Postby JCS » 09 20, 2013 •  [Post 1]

This was my first time hunting elk. Prior to heading out, I had several experienced hunters tell me not to get my hopes up, that this being my first trip not to expect to shot anything. I was also told that if I saw an elk through my binoculars to consider this to be a good hunt. Well, a friend and I traveled out to Colorado and hunted September 6th through the 14th. During that time we got pretty wet to say the least. Undeterred by the rain, we ended up having what I would consider to be some close encounters. What I mean by this is we had at least two different bulls to within 70 to 80 yards of us but we just couldn’t get them close enough for a shot. I thought that for a couple of rookies we were doing pretty well. On Friday the 13th, we both were to the point where we had just had about enough of the rain but we pressed on for one more day of hunting. I decided that I was going to climb to the top of one of the mountains which topped off around 11,000 feet. After about a four and a half hour climb I finally got to where I wanted to be. I let out a location bugle and I heard several responses. I then headed toward what I thought was the closest one. As I made my way toward the bull, I would stop cow and/or bugle and wait for his response. I wanted to make sure I was above him, so I kept moving up the hill on an angle. I got to a point where there was a big dead pine laying on the ground an down the hill so, I snuck down along it. I have to explain that what happened next took approximately five seconds. I cautiously looked over the log and all I could see were horns headed my way. At this point, the bull was about 25 to 30 yards away from me and walking my way. I already had an arrow knock, so I laid back and put my release on my string. The bull was walking at an angle that would have put him up wind of me if he got much closer so, I again cautiously looked over the log. When I did he caught my movement and he was looking right at me. I believe we both had that same holy %^$# look on our faces. I figured he already busted me so I continued up on one knee and came to full draw. I placed my 20 yard pin between his shoulder and rib cage. As he started to run I followed him and released my arrow. The last thing I remember hearing was that distinct “thaa-wack” sound and he turned 180 degrees and ran away from me. I thought to myself, I can’t believe it, I just killed a big bull elk. I called my buddy on the radio and let him know what happened. As soon as I got done talking to him it started pouring down rain. As I waited for my buddy to climb to where I was at I went over to where the bull was last standing expecting to see a bloody arrow. I figured at that distance the arrow would have passed right through him (remember this is my first elk hunt). I looked for my arrow for about an hour and a half and could not find it anywhere. I figured the arrow must be inside him doing what it was designed to do. When my buddy got to where I was located we began to follow his tracks. We followed him for about two hundred yards before he got mixed up with some other elk and we couldn’t figure out which tracks were his. We never found any blood or my arrow. I don’t know what happened or what to think at this point. I went from being 100% positive that I made a good shot to I don’t know what happened. The worst thing about this is, I hate to think that all I did was wound him. I have played the scenario out again and again in my mind about six hundred times. I just don’t know.
JCS

Re: I don't know what happened

Postby Sucobowhunter » 09 20, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Better off just wounding him then killing him and not finding him. Both are a horrible feeling. Sounds like you had a great hunt!! The rain this year has been bad.. Keep your head up and unfortunately take it as a learning experience. Always make sure you have a perfect shot. I lost a bull last year after a 17 yrd passthru shot.
Sucobowhunter

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Heney

Postby Vanish » 09 20, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Wow, this year is getting even tougher around here!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby Indian Summer » 09 20, 2013 •  [Post 4]

That sound is bone. Elk bones aren't like deer bones.. they can stop penetration. Heck deer bones can do that. But the worst thing for penetration is if the arrow is no longer on a straight path. If the fletchings hit something and the back of your arrow begins to fishtail that arrow will NOT penetrate anything like an undisturbed arrow. Same goes for an arrow hitting a moving target. Less penetration because the straight line momentum has been compromised.

Rain screws everything up! No more shooting game in rain for me after losing a bear last year. I always tell people... to hunt and kill elk also means to find them and in big country a tough animal like that can disappear pretty easily. Lessons learned.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Jaquomo » 09 20, 2013 •  [Post 5]

These things happen to every bowhunter. Hopefully you learned some lessons from this experience. Take them and move on the next opportunity, and don't beat yourself up. Think about what you'd have done differently and file it away for future reference. No elk setup is ever the same. Very possible you hit him in the shoulder blade, a shot from which he'll recover.
Jaquomo

Postby Indian Summer » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Good point Lou... that thwack sound is a good indicator that it was a good hit... for the bull. He probably will live.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby hike2hunt » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 7]

It's hard being an arm chair quarterback, by buddy just did the same thing here in Washington. 30 yard, shot, what he thought was a good hit. We tracked for a couple of hours, then he started to rain. We spent three or so days, with nothing.

Shot placement is everything...
hike2hunt

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Broken arrow » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Shot placement is everything especially in inclement weather. I got lucky I could have been in your shoes! Took a shot at a cow 30yds away she was alert and knew I was there. Thankfully my recurve is slow enough she was completely out of the way. Quartering shot it could have ended up in her paunch or her rearend! It's tough holding off on those shots when you've worked so hard traveled so far and spent a lot of coin. But we have to try! Lesson learned
Broken arrow

Postby JCS » 09 23, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Thanks guys, I appreciate the post!!!
JCS