Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Reminder to be careful

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Reminder to be careful

Postby Coveyleader » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 1]

As reminder to all, be careful. I consider myself to be a good very self reliant hunter, but last week hiking down a nice elk trail in the dark 10 yds from the bottom I slipped, feet went straight up and I cracked my head good. At the time my shin was the part that hurt but the next day I had a lump on the back of my head bigger than a spike in June. This whole week has been a bit cloudy and I've had headaches all week. I'm sure I suffered a mild concussion.

Anyways, be careful, the last week is upon us.
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Re: Reminder to be careful

Postby Broken arrow » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Agreed!!!! A scary sharp knife doesn't hurt but it'll make ya bleed like an sob! Chopped the top of my knuckle off! :shock: Lucky me it didn't need stitches but 6 miles in the middle of nowhere it could have been BAD! Hope your feeling better?!?
Broken arrow

Postby bnsafe » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 3]

ok gonna go put my first aid kit back in my pack. thanks for the reminder. hope all is well now
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby JoeH2o » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Couple years ago hunting with Elknut, I slipped off a log, fell backwards and my head hit a little stob from another log. I had a small little puncture wound to the back of the head. I remember getting up, trying to act like nothing happened, when Elknut ran over and asked what happened. Kind of funny after the fact, but it could have been really bad. You never know what the next step has in store for you in the elk woods.
JoeH2o
ElkNut Pro Staff

First Name: Clayton
Last Name: Jensen

Postby JGH » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Agreed.

Was solo all last week. Was going down a boulder field, thinking that this would be a fine place for an injury but that that wouldn't happen because I was so careful when ... I stepped too long with my right foot, and my left quad bore all the weight when not expecting it ... could've torn a knee up doing that, and it still hurts.

Also ... those riding horses, please wear helmets. I know ... not "cowboy" enough ... but don't go home without all the grades you completed in school. Your spouse doesn't deserve that.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby Eland » 09 22, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Agreed x 2... While hunting solo last week in all the rain, I started to walk along a rain slick log. I hopped right back off of it thinking I don't need to fall and stab myself on one of those dead branches sticking up. One thing I've learned in my brief elk hunting career, is the mountains don't care who you are. They will hurt you, or worse the fist chance they get.
Eland

Postby JGH » 09 22, 2013 •  [Post 7]

After last week (lightning, bears in camp, etc.) I was thinking the same thing: Mother nature doesn't give a sh^t about you or your problems.

She believes that if you ride the ride, you accept any and all responsibility for your decisions. She shares none of it.

Which I think, in a way, makes her kind of (perhaps pathologically) attractive!

Like my first wife.

(Who is my current wife, too, by the way)

Kind of like my mare, too.

The dogs ... they care to a fault.
JGH

Postby cnelk » 09 22, 2013 •  [Post 8]

It took me 1 hour and 40 minutes to field process [gutless] by myself.
I made sure I didnt hurry, took a couple of breaks.
And then mustered up enough energy to roll that bad boy over.
It took two times, and I did think about the story of that guy who was gored by his dead bull doing that same thing.

Accidents are called accidents for a reason, They are always unprepared for.

After my 'accident' last November, I am very aware of how quick you can get cut
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 22, 2013 •  [Post 9]

The antlers should be removed before turning over! First thing we do is remove legs at the joint then rack! Then we break down the animal into quarters etc.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby NH Hunter » 09 23, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I got my cow last week and we gutless quartered her in the dark....and rain. Hung the quarters, sprinkled some chili powder on them and packed out the backstraps....in the rain....and lightning. :shock: Went back the next morning and deboned the quarters and I got in a hurry and sliced a good cut on my thumb knuckle. Bled for a while and wouldn't quite stop so I dug around in my first aid kit and got a butterfly bandage and some tape and closed it up. Cleaned it up when we got back to camp and bandaged it up right. Once it heals, I think I'm gonna have another reminder to be careful with knives. I think gutless is waaay safer than gutting 'em out. How many times have you sliced a finger open, shoulder deep in gore trying to cut the windpipe? I know I've nicked myself more than a few times doing that.
NH Hunter

First Name: Gregg

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 23, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I always try to be careful. But you just never know what might happen. I'm getting old and clumsy.When I used to trip and fall, I'd just roll with it and bounce right back up on my feet. Now when I fall it is more like Hulk Hogan giving me a body slam. So I bought a PLB (personal locator beacon). I feel much more secure knowing that help is on the way if I ever have to push the button.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Broken arrow » 09 23, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I rented a spot well worth the $ for family to have piece of mind. And the guys at work watched my track log giving everyone at work updates. Lol
Broken arrow

Postby JGH » 09 23, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I actually got one of the SPOT phones ... pretty useful ... Wife and I both spend time in the "non-wireless" world alone ... and it was definitely worth it on this trip. With the phone, I could call her and get weather updates, or call and have her bring horses if I got an elk down (didn't need that one!)

If you are just going to need something for a September hunt, I'd consider either renting a sat phone or getting one of the Delorme texting devices. I know ... who wants to be in contact with home during a hunt? Well, particularly if you are alone, you might.

What if you are hurt? What if a bear eats all of your food? What if you need meat pickup?
Attachments
800 SPOT 2.jpg
800 SPOT 2.jpg (194.98 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
800 SPOT 1.jpg
800 SPOT 1.jpg (174.59 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
JGH

Postby cnelk » 09 23, 2013 •  [Post 14]

John [or anyone]
I would like to know more about that phone or a device that can come in handy
I am always out in the mountains - hunting/fishing/snowmobiling - with limited cell service
And I got that AK moose hunt next year!

Thanks in advance
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Broken arrow » 09 23, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Cnelk if money isn't an issue buy get a sat phone or a spot II. With the spot I could send an "I'm ok message a personal message of my choice a change of plans/ or I need help but non emergency type message and of course the I'm in deep message. Really made my family and me feel secure.
Broken arrow