Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Hunting Reminder

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Hunting Reminder

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I'm sure you elk hunting nuts already know this but here's a reminder. If your hunting partner helps you take a bull, make sure you return the favor. They probably sacrificed a lot to get you that bull.

However, if it's RJ or Swede I'd just leave them. Lol!

Jf
JohnFitzgerald

Re: Elk Hunting Reminder

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 09 22, 2013 •  [Post 2]

A good example being a good hunting buddy is our own chuckarNUT. I called in his 5x5 two hours into our Hunt. He stayed the rest of the week in attempts to fill two more tags. He'll post his story soon.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 09 23, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I just got back from my hunt. I can see I need to pitch John some more garbage. He is feeling his oats. BTW, JOhn: did you lose you GPS and map? I never saw you anywhere around camp this year. Of coarse I was rarely there myself.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 09 24, 2013 •  [Post 4]

LOL, I missed you buddy! Had to get my digs in before you got back. :-)

I wanted to come down but a few family members decided to bow hunt. So instead of giving you unwelcome guest I took them to a different spot.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 09 24, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I have to admit, I do not know how we would have connected up. I could have sent you to a great tree stand if we did. It seems that the elk were always where I wasn't. If I went to one stand, they were wallowing and frolicking at the one I just left. If you had come and asked, you surely would have had a great bull like Stringunner. The key was just go to the spot I decided to leave.
Stringunner got his bull in the morning. I did not know about it until about 2:00PM when I returned to my stand. After seeing him and knowing he was going to be working just a short ways off, I decided to go to a different location. Well that evening two bulls came in, (as shown on the trail camera) where I chose to vacate
I have not had time yet to really check out the forum. So, how did your season go?
Swede

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 09 25, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Swede wrote:I have to admit, I do not know how we would have connected up. I could have sent you to a great tree stand if we did. It seems that the elk were always where I wasn't. If I went to one stand, they were wallowing and frolicking at the one I just left. If you had come and asked, you surely would have had a great bull like Stringunner. The key was just go to the spot I decided to leave.
Stringunner got his bull in the morning. I did not know about it until about 2:00PM when I returned to my stand. After seeing him and knowing he was going to be working just a short ways off, I decided to go to a different location. Well that evening two bulls came in, (as shown on the trail camera) where I chose to vacate
I have not had time yet to really check out the forum. So, how did your season go?

Tough season this year. We only filled 1 out of 3 tags and a 4th hunting buddy took a nice 300 class bull out of our area. Our own ChuckarNUT arrowed a 5 point at 40 yards during the first night but high swirling winds and rainy days made the rest of the week rough.

Both will be posting their stories here really soon!

jf
JohnFitzgerald

Postby stringunner » 09 25, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Swede- PM SENT
stringunner

Postby klean1 » 09 27, 2013 •  [Post 8]

What good is a hunting partner if they go home when "they" are done? I would call for as long as I could for any hunting buddy till seasons out.
klean1

First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Bunce

Postby Swede » 09 28, 2013 •  [Post 9]

klean1: You make an interesting point. That is why I have no partners. I travel to camp alone. I set up camp by myself. I put my stands out, usually, on my own. Quite a few folks come to hunt out of my camp, but we are not "partners". If they get an elk, I will help them and vice versa, but the elk belongs entirely to the shooter. I take my elk to the butcher shop. They do with theirs what they like.
Every hunter who hunts out of my camp arrives days after I do, and leaves long before me. If anyone is going to be my "partner", they have to be as committed to the hunt as I am, and I don't want to fret over the home-sick lover, or the guy that has to get back to a job. I can understand the guy that has a job, but that is not where I am at this point in life. The lovers drive me nuts, as they are in a panic to go home 15 minutes after their elk is in the truck.
Swede