Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Cleansing ( my first elk hunt)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Cleansing ( my first elk hunt)

Postby Broken arrow » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I left Kansas city at 10:00am on Saturday the 7th for a 12 day bivy/spike wilderness backcountry hunt. I wasn't full of excitement like I thought I would be. See, I have primary custody of my daughters and this would be the first time I would leave them for such a long amount of time, but I was going no matter what after 2 years of preparation and planning death is the only thing that could have kept me away. After multitudes of hugs and kisses, I rolled out headed for Colorado with a knot in my stomach and many thoughts in my head. With a ton of loving and supportive messages from my oldest, the knot subsided and anticipation grew, I was really doing this! The drive was long and lonely but I made it to the trailhead at 11:30pm enough time to catch a few z's before I hit the trail at 5:30am. I hit the trail on time but after about a half mile something clicked in my head: "your calls?" Yep sure enough, I remembered them laying in the seat of the truck. Damn, had to go back! Not an hour and a half into my second attempt to get into the back country, coming around a bend in the trail not really focused on much but the thoughts spinning in my head, I saw her and she saw me at the same time, ELK! Eight of them to be exact; they were on there feet, some leaving. I let out a cow call, well, it sort of sounded like one. They stopped one cow broadside at around 35 yds arrow nocked I search for a spot but there was one aspen about 3" in dia. right in front of her vitals! I laughed as I remember a co-worker say, "watch you'll get out there shoot one on day one and won't even get to camp." How close to right he was. I saw no other elk that day and it was the warmest and driest day I would see, for the remainder of my adventure.

This photo is after day one. I completely avoided my original game plan and just walked aimlessly through the backcountry, hiked a few miles and wasted a lot of energy.
Lesson 1: stick to the plan unless the elk change it. I was one worn out puppy!
Attachments
DSC01006 (640x480).jpg
DSC01006 (640x480).jpg (420.15 KiB) Viewed 15385 times
Broken arrow

Re: The Cleansing ( my first elk hunt)

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Nice! It's always tough leaving the little ones. You sound like a great hunter and a dad. Hat's off to you bud.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Broken arrow » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 3]

That night The bulls got fired up and started bugling everywhere! As did the rain that would only stop off and on for the remaining days. Sleep did not come easily with some bugling less than 200yds from my tent, but it eventually came.

Day 2: With bulls still singing all around me, I hurried to get breakfast, coffee, and gear ready. I headed up the mountain in the dark. My plan was to listen to the bugles pick one and make an attempt to cut across the hill side, try and meet him on the same leave or just below him, with the morning thermals going down the mountain. As I heard him bugle every 10 min or so I hurried to get into position, something exploded 75 yards in front of me a little below my position. Then I hear it, my first popping grunt! Damn it! I blew it I'd moved to fast my bugle securely strapped to my pack, I did the best I could with a cupped hand and my mellow yellow to grunt back, but he wasn't buying any of it. That was the end of my excitement. I spent the remainder of the morning listening to another hunter bugle consistently every 5 min all up and down the mountain side I kind of laughed and thought, "Man what are you doing? The elk are already up and probably over the mountain by now." I hiked up and over the top mid morning hoping to find some un-hunted ground and a good water supply and camp sight. But water I couldn't find, other than a big wallow the elk and cattle where using. The skies opened up and the rains came; soaked, tired, and worn out, I spent the afternoon and night trying to dry out in my tent.
Lesson 2: Be ready all the time.
Lesson 3: Be patient
Lesson 4: Bring rain pants wet sloshy boots suck! Boots are only waterproof until your socks get wet!
Attachments
DSC01013 (640x480).jpg
DSC01013 (640x480).jpg (347.35 KiB) Viewed 15373 times
DSC01014 (640x456).jpg
DSC01014 (640x456).jpg (164.16 KiB) Viewed 15373 times
DSC01010 (640x480).jpg
DSC01010 (640x480).jpg (280.51 KiB) Viewed 15373 times
Broken arrow

Postby Broken arrow » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Day 3 and 4 were spent moving farther out and sitting in my tent in the rain very little hunting, but I did have a cow at 30yds on day three for just a brief few seconds not enough time for a shot. Day four is when I got a little break from the rain, in the a.m. I saw 2 cows and a spike that morning. Late that evening after spending the afternoon in the tent. the sun came out and the elk revealed themselves way up on top of the mountain as I sit in camp having my MH for dinner listening to the bulls sing, while glassing the herd feeding in the high meadow. I knew where I would be come first light!
Attachments
DSC01026 (640x480).jpg
DSC01026 (640x480).jpg (420.96 KiB) Viewed 15370 times
DSC01034 (640x480).jpg
DSC01034 (640x480).jpg (351.23 KiB) Viewed 15370 times
Broken arrow

Postby Broken arrow » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Day 5: I hit the mountain early following the sounds of bulls bugling on the hill side. I moved as fast as I could until I could hear cows talking to one another, I hit the brakes and really started to slow it down. What's that? I saw a flash of brown that didn't fit. My binos revealed ELK! 200yds above me I began my silent approach. I had cut the distance to 100yds when a head came up and I could see two antlers still in velvet, it's a spike! let's have some fun. I let out a series of cow calls and only got a stare in my direction. Remembering what I've read on here I pick up a small rock and roll it down the hillside. That got him hook, line, and sinker! HERE HE COMES!!! At 10yds I started talking to him he just stood there looking at me. I walked off after a few pictures and a little video. HUGE mistake! As I crossed the opening to the next small patch of brush I was using for cover I look up and 50yds from where I was just standing is a 4x1 a legal bull, Damn you lack of experience! I'd blown it again! As I watched him turn and head back the way he had came I dropped down a couple hundred yards raced across the side of the mountain and then hurried to get back up and maybe intercept him. He quickly became a memory when a bull not more than 70/80yds away ripped out a bugle. I gained a few more yards until I saw a cow moving along the hillside. I decided to throw out a few cow calls and in return I got a bugle then I see antlers in the pines racking at a sapling, He's a 5x6!. I threw out some real winy cow calls trying to sound a little like I was annoyed. Then I let out a bugle with some chuckles at the end. The results, he took his cows and was leaving! I raced up the mountain some 30yds let out a few cow calls, nothing. so I climbed another 30yds and he bugled off to my left and below me. I did a few lost cow calls and got a response! A cow running in to where I had just been standing. Damn she got my wind! As she turned to leave I called, she stopped. Pick a spot now or never, at the release she was out of there my slow arrow out of my stick bow was at least a foot behind her. Thankfully, because that wasn't a smarty decision to shoot at such an alert animal! Rest of the day spent kicking myself and decided to check out another ridge for the evening hunt so I didn't spook anymore elk. I dropped into the hell hole not thinking. "If you climb down there dumb butt, you have to climb back out!" Steep muddy and rainy make for a very tough dangerous and exhausting climb. I was going to give up that night I hurt I was beat I was going to pack out come morning.

Lesson of the day: don't move to much after calling!
First photo is of the hell hole.
Attachments
DSC01078 (640x480).jpg
DSC01078 (640x480).jpg (373.78 KiB) Viewed 15366 times
DSC01067 (640x454).jpg
DSC01067 (640x454).jpg (308.96 KiB) Viewed 15366 times
Broken arrow

Postby Broken arrow » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Day 6: I slept in a little regardless I had to either quit and pack out or hike out to resupply, well.... think you know what I did.
At the trailhead I ate some fresh fruit which tasted amazing and really gave me a lift. What happened next lifted my spirit and gave me what I needed to get at it again. I met a gentleman on a horse that struck up conversation about my recurve and couldn't believe how far in I was solo and without horses. He said to me, "If you get one you come get me." "I have extra horses I'll help you pack it out, I haven't seen anyone around here as determined with a desire like you have!" That was an energy shot that worked better than any drug ever could! I made it back to camp in record time with my head held high! That afternoon I decided I was just going to rest up watch the hillside from camp and be rested and ready for tomorrow.
Self pics courtesy of my Clip-shot I LOVE IT!!!!

Lesson: never give up and Angels can be cowboys too.
Attachments
DSC01045 (640x479).jpg
DSC01045 (640x479).jpg (395.59 KiB) Viewed 15363 times
DSC01086 (640x480).jpg
DSC01086 (640x480).jpg (227.79 KiB) Viewed 15363 times
DSC01083 (640x459).jpg
DSC01083 (640x459).jpg (355.51 KiB) Viewed 15363 times
Broken arrow

Postby MTLongdraw » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 7]

That's some beautiful country.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby Broken arrow » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Day 7: I was headed out 2 hours before day light I was going to be as close as I dare get before first light! When I could hear cows in the darkness and they sounded close I just took me a seat and waited. When it was light enough to shoot I started working up the mountain trying to pick up any movement I could hoping to ambush or spot them before they did me. The bulls bugled just up the hill 200yds or so I didn't like my position so I began to drift over to a better location to set-up and call. I let out some soft cow sounds with nothing but silence to follow. 5 minutes later I hear a bugle way off to my right. What happened did I spook them? I was way more aggressive the other day, what happened? I sank a little. thought well I screwed that up! He bugled again from the same spot, nope they weren't spooked just leaving early. The race began I climbed as fast as I could to the trail that lead across the mountain I was going to run to catch them! Got to the trail had a drink and a quick breather and I was off a jog till I saw fresh tracks then a fast walk till I saw fresh scat that was steaming in the cool morning air I was close! Then I heard a cow below me and just then a bull bugled in front of me. I said I'm going for it I went for the bull. When I hit the meadow and broken stands of pines at the top a bull ripped out a bugle he was so close I swear I could smell his breath, or was that from my lack of showering for seven days! lol He bugled again I could hear limbs cracking just inside the clump of thick pines they couldn't be more than 50yds away but yet not a glimpse of him did I see. Scared to bugle at him for fear he'd just leave ( little did I know I'd walked into the best situation an elk hunter could ask for I was between him and the rest of the herd.) I cow called he responded but he had made it to the larger section of pines. I ran across the meadow and into a stand of 20 trees let out my most pleading cow call I could short of breath. ran up 40yds in a perfect natural blind of live and dead trees. He just kept going I gave out one last cow call and here she came calling and searching for this lone cow she'd heard (ME). In tow was about 30 elk spikes forkys calves and a 3x3 still in velvet! She paused 25yds staring up the hill away from me slightly quartering away I drew picked my spot suddenly a spike popped into view but moved past quickly imagined her offside should as my spot centered it in my brain and let the arrow fly. Right as I release she took a step the arrow buried to the crest 3rd rib from the last The mountain side exploded!!!! As I watch her leave and listened I went weak I had DONE IT! I beat the odds! and I did it the only way I know and love with a stick n string wood arrows and old bear greenies! I waited an hour then started to look for blood. Right away I found good blood for about 20ft where she started up the step slope into the pines blood became tracks, tracks became many tracks, that turned to panic and I just started running all over the hillside frantic to see her hoping she was just laying out in the open to find. I stopped myself Feeling sick to my stomach thought " YOU really messed up buddy you wounded her!!!! I hate you" I finally sat down got a grip of my emotions and made the decision to go back to the last place I had a speck of blood and start over. on the way back I decided to look into this nasty clump of blow downs and thick pine. Something stood out just didn't look right??? Tears started to come It was her. I'm tearing up just writing this!!!! Picture, breaking her down and a packout back to camp came quickly as it was again starting to rain. Several wet muddy slips falls and slides down the mountain I was dropping off the first load.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (390.42 KiB) Viewed 15357 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (348.64 KiB) Viewed 15357 times
Broken arrow

Postby Broken arrow » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 9]

couple more
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (325.15 KiB) Viewed 15357 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (288.32 KiB) Viewed 15357 times
Broken arrow

Postby Broken arrow » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 10]

One more trip up and down the mountain a MH and much needed sleep an early rise one more trip up to get the last load packed camp and humped 51/2 miles to the trailhead hoping the man stood by his word. 11 miles a 5 1/2 hour horse ride I had elk in the cooler. Some great stories some laughs a beer and the best cheese burger I have ever had! lol 7 days of instant potatoes oatmeal MH trail mix and cliff bars! One worn out sore hunter was enjoying great company. I can't thank Jack enough for being such a stand up guy! :D

Sorry for such a long post but many have asked for the story and where better than on here. The best forum out ther because of so many great people that belong to it! Thank you to everyone.
Attachments
ride.jpg
ride.jpg (208.93 KiB) Viewed 15354 times
Broken arrow

Postby diggerson » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Very cool story! Thanks for sharing!
diggerson

Postby MTLongdraw » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Incredible story. Congratulations on your elk and doing it solo.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby Indian Summer » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Sorry. WHAT!!!!!

Dude that was the hands down best account of a hunt I've read this year. From the leaving the girls behind to fighting back tears as you typed it... wow. I'd be lying if I said I did wipe a tear reading it. That's when I know I am a true elk nut. I've been there but just reading something so well written took me there enough to trip my trigger. I said to myself: Hey I remember answering a few questions for Broken Arrow. Makes me feel like myself and all the others do share a small part of your success. And what awesome success it was with your trad bow & solo. The cowboy you met... the whole 9 yards. Thanks a million for making sure you didn't miss all the good parts of your story. So typical of any real elk hunt. The ups & downs both physically and mentally. Very very good read for rookies too that's for sure.

Congratufrickinlations!!!

Proud of you pilgrim. :D
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby bnsafe » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 14]

broken arrow, that was an unbelievable story and experience. what an accomplishment. congrats.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby BROKECARPENTER » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Way to Go! Great Story!
BROKECARPENTER

First Name: Brent

Postby cnelk » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 16]

That was a great recap of your hunt!
Thanks buddy and congrats!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Broken arrow » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Thanks Indian summer everyone did have a little part in my success. Can't thank everyone enough!
Cnelk don't know if you remember? You and I traded emails and it was one of the spots you helped me pick out where I shot her! My hats of to you!
Broken arrow

Postby Broken arrow » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 18]

I hikeed somewhere around 35 to 40 miles in 8 days lost 12lbs hurt from head to toe. My right knee still hurt! I'd do it all again can't wait for next year! :D I'm hooked!!!
Broken arrow

Postby cnelk » 09 21, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Yes. I do remember!
Glad it all worked out for the best!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby JGH » 09 22, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Great story ... everything would be easier with less rain, though, eh?
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby Eland » 09 22, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Great story and congratulations!!
Eland

Postby Broken arrow » 09 22, 2013 •  [Post 22]

That ain't no joke JGH! Made the hiking a slipper dance and after having wet feet for days they are now peeling and pretty tender. Can say my lowas liner socks and smart wools did great! I never got on blister.
Broken arrow

Postby BRazz » 09 22, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Indian Summer wrote:Sorry. WHAT!!!!!

Dude that was the hands down best account of a hunt I've read this year. From the leaving the girls behind to fighting back tears as you typed it... wow. I'd be lying if I said I did wipe a tear reading it. That's when I know I am a true elk nut. I've been there but just reading something so well written took me there enough to trip my trigger. I said to myself: Hey I remember answering a few questions for Broken Arrow. Makes me feel like myself and all the others do share a small part of your success. And what awesome success it was with your trad bow & solo. The cowboy you met... the whole 9 yards. Thanks a million for making sure you didn't miss all the good parts of your story. So typical of any real elk hunt. The ups & downs both physically and mentally. Very very good read for rookies too that's for sure.

Congratufrickinlations!!!

Proud of you pilgrim. :D

Diddo. Amazing job, and amazingly told. Thank you, and congrats!!
BRazz

First Name: B
Last Name: W

Postby Sucobowhunter » 09 22, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Great job buddy!! Great story!! Thanks for posting!!
Sucobowhunter

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Heney

Postby chiznitz » 09 23, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Great writeup! I just spent only 4 days 6.5miles back with lots of rain and some elk. The first day it rained so hard i was really bumming. No idea how you lasted so long out there without your girls!! I have a 15 month old and I was homesick for her and my wife on the very first day of the hunt! However, after spying some elk I picked up my spirits.

Thanks for motivating me to get back out there and try again!
chiznitz

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Hentz

Postby Broken arrow » 09 23, 2013 •  [Post 26]

It wasn't easy but I just pushed through it. Had my mp3 couldn't even listen to it made me sad and home sick, me and the girls YouTube music sing and dance get all crazy without a care in the world a lot on weekends. Doing little video clips of each day helped. Gave me someone to talk to. Lol
Broken arrow

Postby Indian Summer » 09 23, 2013 •  [Post 27]

chiznitz wrote:Great writeup! I just spent only 4 days 6.5miles back with lots of rain and some elk. The first day it rained so hard i was really bumming. No idea how you lasted so long out there without your girls!! I have a 15 month old and I was homesick for her and my wife on the very first day of the hunt! However, after spying some elk I picked up my spirits.

Thanks for motivating me to get back out there and try again!

Yep climb back in that saddle chiznitz. Elk hunting in a word is perseverance. We all share some of the same struggles but that non-stop rain takes the fun out of for anyone. Yuk!

Just got a text from Buckeye Jon who's in Montana dropping one guy off at the airport.... & drying out after 2 days of steady rain. I feel bad when I hear that. But... he said he's been into easy access elk most days. Can't close the gap to less than 80 yards so far. Glad to hear that. I worry when I send people to a spot. Never know what will happen you know. I have my fingers crossed for another good story.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby ORelksniper » 09 23, 2013 •  [Post 28]

Congratulations Broken Arrow. First time out of the chute and ya put one on the ground. Darn fine elk. They don't all come that easy though. :D
ORelksniper

Postby dtrkyman » 09 23, 2013 •  [Post 29]

Inspiring story, amazing the people you can meet in the back country!

Congrats on your Elk!
dtrkyman

First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Marzano

Postby dtrkyman » 09 23, 2013 •  [Post 30]

Inspiring story, amazing the people you can meet in the back country!

Congrats on your Elk!
dtrkyman

First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Marzano

Postby LckyTylr » 09 23, 2013 •  [Post 31]

That's an AWESOME story and was very well written.

You seem like a very genuine guy with a real passion for the sport we all love. Congrats, great hunt!!!
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Canvsbk » 09 24, 2013 •  [Post 32]

Great story, good luck with those young ones.
Canvsbk

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Nelson

Postby Mojostylee24 » 09 25, 2013 •  [Post 33]

Great account and good job! Dont' let anyone tell you that you got lucky...sounds like you manifested your own destiny on this trip.
Mojostylee24

First Name: James
Last Name: Anderson

Postby mds » 09 25, 2013 •  [Post 34]

Indian Summer wrote:Very very good read for rookies too that's for sure.

You can say that again! I've never been there but it brought a tear to my eye and has me more excited than ever to get into this kind of hunting!
mds

First Name: Mario
Last Name: Santana

Postby Deadman » 09 26, 2013 •  [Post 35]

Broken Arrow, can you pm? I, have a couple questions to ask you, i, also live in Kansas, but smake dab in the middle of the state. Thanks.
Deadman

First Name: Curtis
Last Name: Smith

Postby Buglemaster » 09 26, 2013 •  [Post 36]

Great story, great pics & a great attitude right here folks! That's what make this site stand out from the rest. Congrats & enjoy them backstraps!
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby kjv1959 » 09 27, 2013 •  [Post 37]

congrats great story !
kjv1959

First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Vroman

Postby Broken arrow » 09 28, 2013 •  [Post 38]

Deadman I messaged you. You can text me 8168980898
Broken arrow

Postby Vanish » 10 01, 2013 •  [Post 39]

Great story!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby flopdrop » 10 07, 2013 •  [Post 40]

Great Story Broken Arrow, I'd be proud to share a hunt camp with you anytime... It's hard to find others who put that much heart & sole in turning negative situations into positive ones.
flopdrop

Postby elkmtngear » 10 07, 2013 •  [Post 41]

That was an awesome Story!

Got a huge grin when I got to the part with the "hero pic" :mrgreen:

Quite an achievement, with a stick and string....Congrats!

P.S...when it comes to the wet boots part, I have one word that will be life-changing: Gaiters!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby mandrroofing » 10 07, 2013 •  [Post 42]

Dude! Talk about inspiring...
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Postby eriks. » 10 07, 2013 •  [Post 43]

Hey Broken arrow,
I just got time to get back on here and read your story. Fantastic!

I know all about the homesick feeling. Leaving the wife and kid and not having phone coverage was tougher than the physical stuff.

Man, your experience was the exact opposite of mine in the elk sightings. I didn't see or hear a single elk. Pretty discouraging. I think we were probably hunting in the same wilderness area too.

Despite the fact that I didn't see anything, I am like you and would do it again in a New York minute. I can't wait to get back out and try it all over. Sore muscles, sore feet and sucking air- big deal right?

Congrats, maybe we will run into each other in Wal-Mart or someplace. We only live about 15 miles from each other.
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons

Postby Huntography » 10 07, 2013 •  [Post 44]

Awesome !!!!!!

Rudy
Rudy
Documentary Filmmaker, Huntography

Filming America's Hunters, One at a Time.
http://www.huntography.com/
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby Swede » 10 07, 2013 •  [Post 45]

I completely agree with what Indian Summer and others wrote. Great story and a first class trophy. One question: What will it take to get you to go on another elk hunt? :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Triplebhunters » 10 08, 2013 •  [Post 46]

Congradulations. And great story to go with it.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby eriks. » 10 08, 2013 •  [Post 47]

I forgot to ask but how did your kids react to the news that you got one and were coming home? Bet they went ballistic didn't they?

I couldn't be happier for you.
eriks.

Postby fenderhunt4 » 10 08, 2013 •  [Post 48]

perfect. thanks for retelling a great adventure!
fenderhunt4

Postby Broken arrow » 10 09, 2013 •  [Post 49]

Elkmtngear I had gators but they are shorter than my socks and not thinking I pulled my socks up past my gators! Yep that was a brain fart.
Swede just money :) I'm already planning next year!
Eriks they were super excited but really could care less if I shot something. They just wanted me home! I must of had 50 text when I got back in civilization. Lol my oldest wrote a 6 page front and back journal telling me about everything that went on while I was gone.
Broken arrow

Postby eriks. » 10 10, 2013 •  [Post 50]

That's awesome. I remember when my kids were young and would be excited to see me after a day of work.

They sound like great kids.
eriks.

Postby recurve » 10 10, 2013 •  [Post 51]

Broken Arrow,

As almost everyone has said this was a tremendous story and adventure. Thanks for taking us along with you. I think we all felt the highs and lows of your trip. Karma seems to come around and help a guy when he is doing things right.

I just got back from my own trip several weeks ago. I can still feel my feet squishing into my boots after getting poured on for 2 hours as I made it back down to camp. It all sounded so familiar. Those moments of weakness, self doubt, and discouragement are parts of a hunt that most of us would admit to if we are honest. Those lows are trumped by the highs that come from seeing an elk up close or just the little victories that come from making it to the top of the mountain and looking down on where you have traveled. With recent conclusion of my own hunt and many others here on this site, I think a lot of us feel like we were right there with you if only in a figurative sense.

Heck I'm from Weston, Missouri and I shoot traditional too. After spending a lot of the summer reading and absorbing info off this site, I end up reading about a guy who lives an hour from me who had the adventure of a lifetime. What's the chances of that! :)

Dang, I at least feel like I need to meet up with you at Cabelas to shake you hand or slap you on the back and say heck of a job bud!

Chris
recurve

First Name: Chris

Postby BMF11 » 10 11, 2013 •  [Post 52]

Broken Arrow, great story and hunt! To do it alone and with traditional gear is phenomenal! Your trophy is one to be very proud of! Congrats
BMF11

First Name: Brady

Postby Broken arrow » 10 19, 2013 •  [Post 53]

Recurve if you want to get together and fling a few arrows let me know.
Broken arrow