Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elknut's Apprentice - 2013 Montana Elk Season...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elknut's Apprentice - 2013 Montana Elk Season...

Postby slim9300 » 09 25, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Trophyhill wrote:I heard thru thru the grapevine (actually from the horses mouth) that Elknut's apprentice killed a bull in Montana and working on getting his partner 1.

I am cutting a pasting my text messages to David (Trophyhill) to give a brief synopsis of the hunt. This elk season started as the worst of my life for family reasons and almost never happened. I am thankful The Lord gave me the strength to move on and get into the backcountry where I belong. The mountains are truly a healer of the heart and mind.

From Sept. 21st PM: "One down and one to go. Scott and I just got out of the mountains and we are headed to town to take care of the meat. I missed a much bigger bull yesterday evening (290-300"), but I lack self-control when a bull just stands in front of me bugling. :) Such is the life of an undisciplined elk hunter, but I'm never going to kill 50 bulls without shooting a few raghorns. Two years in a row the 21st has been "the day." The elk are fired up but not quite fully into the rut. We have had close encounters with a handful of mature bulls and spotted quite a few more. Headed back into the mountains in the morning to get Scott Kirkeby a bigger bull. Life is good."

From Sept. 24th PM: "Well it's been an interesting MT elk season. We are headed home on 90 now.

Scott missed (long story) a beast of a bull on the evening of the 22nd despite the weather being brutal. I will tell you the whole story some time. Anyways, around noon on the 23rd we were working though a bedding area and I spotted this bull bedded looking away. I couldn't see his antlers but I talked Scott into sneaking into 40 yards, despite reservations on his size. When he glassed the bull's antlers his reaction was not good, but with some coaxing on my part and me pulling out my phone to video the shot, he gave in. :) In retrospect shooting the little guy was a good decision. The rutting activity has been very weak this year and the weather equally bad. (I was told today that the activity was great early in the season.) To top it all off, tomorrow afternoon is going to drop 2' of snow on our mountain range. Thank The Lord we got out before that! Next year Scott and I agreed to channel our inner 'trophy hunters' and hold out for mature bulls (at least for the first 3 days of the hunt). Lol. Oddly enough, two years in a row we both killed our bulls on the exact same day (21st and 23rd). :)"

I want to give a huge shout out to Kifaru and Aron Snyder. I have never been more proud to be a part of the Kifaru team. There is no pack in the world that I would rather have on my back when I'm 8 miles deep in the mountains and need to get out half an elk plus camp. If you have thought about looking into a Kifaru pack, stop thinking and pull the trigger. You will never regret it for a second.

Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Elknut's Apprentice - 2013 Montana Elk Season...

Postby BrentLaBere » 09 25, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Nice work and thanks for sharing the story/pictures. I hunted region 3 the the first 9 days and the most vocal were the first 3. Storm rolling through the mountain range I hunted as well. It seems like it is dumping everywhere down there. I hope to find some being vocal next week. Thanks for the post, just pumped me up.
Hope all is well with the family.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby slim9300 » 09 25, 2013 •  [Post 3]

BrentLaBere wrote:Nice work and thanks for sharing the story/pictures. I hunted region 3 the the first 9 days and the most vocal were the first 3. Storm rolling through the mountain range I hunted as well. It seems like it is dumping everywhere down there. I hope to find some being vocal next week. Thanks for the post, just pumped me up.
Hope all is well with the family.

Thanks Brent. Good luck killing one!
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
slim9300

Postby Trophyhill » 09 25, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Awesome Conlan! Gotta love being in the 10% club every year!
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby slim9300 » 09 25, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Trophyhill wrote:Awesome Conlan! Gotta love being in the 10% club every year!

Thanks David! The off season would be tough without elk meat! :(
slim9300

Postby ElkNut1 » 09 25, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Slim, congrats bud!!!! You are a true Elk Killer! Glad to have you around! You are an inspiration to us all.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby slim9300 » 09 26, 2013 •  [Post 7]

ElkNut1 wrote:Slim, congrats bud!!!! You are a true Elk Killer! Glad to have you around! You are an inspiration to us all.

ElkNut1

Thank you Paul! I have been slacking due to obvious reasons on my 'forum duties' but I'll be around more often now. I was having elk withdrawals. :)
slim9300