Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

antlers

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

antlers

Postby bnsafe » 09 25, 2013 •  [Post 1]

what do you guys do with your antlers. I will either cut them into two separate antlers and put them in the corner of my man cave like my pronghorn horns, or cut skull and keep them together with a little skull, or do a European mount. and if you cut them what do you use. cant imagine a saw doin much.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: anters

Postby Buglemaster » 09 25, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Scott, a saws all with the right blade does a good job, or see if you can get ahold of a meat saw. One cut behind the horns straight down about 3" , and then angle from the outside of each side of the horns down into a v between the eyes. Your just cutting a triangle. The scull cap will just pop right off when you cut deep enough. Congrats are in order if that was your bull Brad posted the pic of.
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby Washington Wapiti » 09 26, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I'm doing a Euro. It should be quite the learning experience I'm sure! The head/rack has been soaking in my brothers little pond on his property while we were deer hunting last week. Won't be able to get to it until this weekend.

No, the antlers are not submerged. :)
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby bnsafe » 09 26, 2013 •  [Post 4]

thanks guys, think im gonna do a euro. even though he was a raghorn I really wanted to mount him and was gonna, until I started dressing him out and couldn't get him turned right to get the hide cut back far enuf to get it. kinda bummed cause I really wanted it mounted, oh well.
bnsafe

Postby Washington Wapiti » 09 26, 2013 •  [Post 5]

bnsafe wrote:thanks guys, think im gonna do a euro. even though he was a raghorn I really wanted to mount him and was gonna, until I started dressing him out and couldn't get him turned right to get the hide cut back far enuf to get it. kinda bummed cause I really wanted it mounted, oh well.

I hear ya! I wanted to do this too . . . I was already so overwhelmed with the task of quartering, hiking it a mile back to camp, deboning, and then lugging it down another 1.5 miles down to the rigs, I said FORGET IT! :lol:
Washington Wapiti

Postby bnsafe » 09 26, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Washington, that's EXACTLY where i was at. wish i couldna got it done, but couldnt
bnsafe

Postby aron » 09 26, 2013 •  [Post 7]

bnsafe wrote:thanks guys, think im gonna do a euro. even though he was a raghorn I really wanted to mount him and was gonna, until I started dressing him out and couldn't get him turned right to get the hide cut back far enuf to get it. kinda bummed cause I really wanted it mounted, oh well.

bnsafe, check with local taxidermists if you are wanting a shoulder mount, if the antlers are still intact, they can take a hide off a different elk if they have one available. A lot of taxidermists will look for good hides from other people who aren't using them for reasons like this.
aron

First Name: Aron

Postby bnsafe » 09 26, 2013 •  [Post 8]

thx aron, i will check
bnsafe

Postby Washington Wapiti » 09 26, 2013 •  [Post 9]

bnsafe wrote:Washington, that's EXACTLY where i was at. wish i couldna got it done, but couldnt

It's something aint it?? And you did it SOLO. At least I had help from my brother getting the quarters back to camp and then down to our vehicles after I deboned. Man. Can't wait to hear your story! Nice to know I'm not the only one that got their a$$ kicked! LOL
Washington Wapiti

Postby Washington Wapiti » 09 26, 2013 •  [Post 10]

aron wrote:

bnsafe, check with local taxidermists if you are wanting a shoulder mount, if the antlers are still intact, they can take a hide off a different elk if they have one available. A lot of taxidermists will look for good hides from other people who aren't using them for reasons like this.

Good idea!
Washington Wapiti

Postby aron » 10 17, 2013 •  [Post 11]

hey bnsafe, what did you decide to do with the bull?
aron

Postby bnsafe » 10 17, 2013 •  [Post 12]

im embarrassed to tell you that the taxidermist had a cape so im mounting him. I know hes to small by a long ways, but this was a bucket list dream that took me 42 years to accomplish. this small bull means more to me than a 350 somewhere. thanks for letting me know bout extra capes.
bnsafe

Postby aron » 10 17, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Hey that's awesome! Glad you were able to find a cape. Im pretty sure this quote right here justifies your decision to do a mount. It's not always about the size but the hunt itself and the memories. The hard work that goes into a diy hunt and to succeed is an accomplishment in it self.
bnsafe wrote: this was a bucket list dream that took me 42 years to accomplish. this small bull means more to me than a 350 somewhere.
aron

Re: antlers

Postby Washington Wapiti » 10 18, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Man, now you guys got me thinkin! Aron, thanks for the tip, I didn't know that was even an option . . . good to know for the future.
Bnsafe, what a great way to immortalize your hunt and first elk. Definitely be proud of your mount, it is an achievment and a trophy regardless of size. I wonder how much extra it is to have them supply the cape? When will they have it done? I'd love to do that, but may just keep it as a euro. Here are a couple pics I took last week after the simmering, and before the 40 volume peroxide. I have to "bleach" again because I didn't mix the powder in. I thought the peroxide (developer) would be enough. It almost was, but there is still some discoloration on the top of the skull.

photo.JPG
photo.JPG (188.62 KiB) Viewed 5941 times

photo1.JPG
photo1.JPG (166 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
Washington Wapiti

Postby under H2O hunter » 10 18, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I hydro dip my skulls. Here is some of my work.
Attachments
double dip.jpg
double dip.jpg (93.92 KiB) Viewed 5933 times
deer skull.jpg
deer skull.jpg (56.84 KiB) Viewed 5933 times
big elk with camo1resiz.jpg
big elk with camo1resiz.jpg (165.9 KiB) Viewed 5933 times
under H2O hunter

First Name: James

Postby Washington Wapiti » 10 18, 2013 •  [Post 16]

under H2O hunter wrote:I hydro dip my skulls. Here is some of my work.

You're my favorite color camoflauge . . . awesome work, I love it! I've seen some that have been bronzed, like they used to do to baby shoes. But this is by far cooler!
Washington Wapiti

Postby under H2O hunter » 10 18, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Washington Wapiti wrote:
under H2O hunter wrote:I hydro dip my skulls. Here is some of my work.

You're my favorite color camoflauge . . . awesome work, I love it! I've seen some that have been bronzed, like they used to do to baby shoes. But this is by far cooler!

Thanks for the props. Here is one more for you a small goat
Attachments
small lope.jpg
small lope.jpg (221.49 KiB) Viewed 5926 times
under H2O hunter

First Name: James

Postby bnsafe » 10 18, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Washington wapiti, they only charged me 25 bucks for the cape. frankly as heavy as they are its worth 25 bucks not to carry it out, lol
bnsafe

Postby Jaquomo » 10 20, 2013 •  [Post 19]

bnsafe, if you have the room, you'll always appreciate a mount of your first one. The memories will keep coming back.

Can't believe you found a cape for $25 though. I've sold a number of elk and muley capes, and I get a LOT more for them than that. You got a bargain, my friend! I suspect somebody sent one in to have tanned for a mount, then changed their mind so the taxi was stuck with it. Eitehr way, good for you!
Jaquomo

antlers

Postby Huntography » 10 20, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Dang good deal Scott.

I euro mounted mine myself. It was quick and I saved some money too. Still have the memories in my head, on the wall now and oh yeah, on camera as well :)

I love watching him flip over on impact as the arrow slices through him.

Rudy

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382305507.913738.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382305507.913738.jpg (249.28 KiB) Viewed 5858 times
Rudy
Documentary Filmmaker, Huntography

Filming America's Hunters, One at a Time.
http://www.huntography.com/
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby Stateline » 10 20, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Seems like people are always looking for capes. I know that most of my taxidermist friends buy them if they're available. If by chance you get an animal that gives you the opportunity, saving his cape might help you pay for next years tag. Even the best of intentions can't always save the cape of someones trophy somewhere. Nice to have a spare available. :)
Stateline

First Name: Mat
Last Name: H

Postby JJ Overkill » 10 20, 2013 •  [Post 22]

i really like the euro mount guys. that's going to be my go to method unless its a VERY big animal. i have a trick i am going to try on a coyote. ill post it when im done.
Attachments
pics of elk country and eruo mount 037.jpg
pics of elk country and eruo mount 037.jpg (18.63 KiB) Viewed 5842 times
pics of elk country and eruo mount 031.jpg
pics of elk country and eruo mount 031.jpg (18.15 KiB) Viewed 5842 times
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby greatthosu » 10 20, 2013 •  [Post 23]

I do European mount.
greatthosu

First Name: Steve

Postby Washington Wapiti » 10 21, 2013 •  [Post 24]

bnsafe wrote: frankly as heavy as they are its worth 25 bucks not to carry it out, lol

Hahaha, you know that's right! $25, wow, heck of a deal . . .
Washington Wapiti