Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Montana: October Archery

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Montana: October Archery

Postby BrentLaBere » 09 26, 2013 •  [Post 1]

What is the rutting activity like in the first part of October? I'm sure it mainly depends on the area but I am looking for general outlook on my next trip.
Had good success finding elk and getting into elk on the first trip. Should the same terrain hold elk as it did the first two weeks of the season? Pressure could push them off.....travel deeper into the Forrest land or look into lower elevation pockets to find elk? What have been some calling techniques used from other hunters that have tried this late in the season with their bow?

Give you a run down of my plan so far. Getting to the trail head and hiking in a good distance to gain elevation. Reaching familiar territory and looking for elk in the two saddles they used in the first part of the month. No elk? No vocalizing? I will start location bugles down into known bedding areas, again early September experience. Making a large loop covering many miles trying to find vocal elk. I am putting a lot of confidence in this area because it held a lot of elk. My concern is what should my plan B consist of. That's where I need to decide to switch trail heads and type of country. Or venture in further where the elk could have moved from pressure.

One area is roughly the same terrain and like I said further back in. The next area switching trail heads would be more recently logged areas with pretty easy access from logging roads. You can venture in pretty far and we did see elk in this country through the glass. My worry is the easy trails. I have from Wednesday to Sunday....Longer if packing out. Looking for opinions to pass the time until I leave.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere