Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Best hunting method for Oct 15

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Best hunting method for Oct 15

Postby whitingja » 10 09, 2013 •  [Post 1]

OK, so I couldn't close the deal during archery, not that I didn't have my chances. Seems like every year, I get close, but get brain farts. Anyways, what is the best hunting approach for mid October? I know the cows may be going into late cycles, so would you sit travel routes for bulls searching for cows or glass from a high point? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
whitingja

First Name: jason
Last Name: whiting

Re: Best hunting method for Oct 15

Postby BRazz » 10 09, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I'm in the same boat: no dice on the archery tag, but headed up for rifle season to give 'er another go. I don't have a tag, but a few of my brothers/dad do - still an unbelievable time. My opinion...

In all elk hunts I've ever been on (rifle or bow, early or late season), knowing where the elk are can be the greatest challenge, and should be the first step. If possible, I suggest you glass, glass, and glass. You can cover MUCH more ground this way without spooking everything off or beating yourself up. And even better, we have a few spots where we can glass opposite slopes but also have a decent chance of having elk cross in front of us, either on their own or in response to other hunters. I keep a mouth call in my cheek and have stopped elk as they ran across, obviously spooked. Midday can be a good time to glass timber edges or even sit on water - especially if it's warm and dry.

Some guys I've hunted with in the past do a coordinated push through likely bedding areas during midday, but I really dislike that tactic personally. Seems like it gives you a single chance at an elk running by, but then they're gone for the rest of the season. Plus, the chances that they run right in front of your shooter are pretty slim.
BRazz

First Name: B
Last Name: W