Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Closed Forests . . . ?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Closed Forests . . . ?

Postby LckyTylr » 10 12, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Have any of you encountered a "Closed National Forest" this season?

I have heard rumors that National Recreation Areas (NRA) are closed and that Rangers/LEO's are blocking off access (heavily armed). I can't find any online literature about this and of course since the Government is on furlough, nobody is available to answer phone calls. I really don't want to drive 3 hours to my spot just to be turned around.

Anybody hunting the Payette National Forest in Idaho that has been there recently?
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Re: Closed Forests . . . ?

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 12, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I've been around a bit in it lately & have seen no such guarding to off roads? I guess you never know?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby mtnmutt » 10 12, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Gotta love the internet.

National Forest and BLM are open. Armed guards at access points...right, the govt furloughed and they have money to pay for barricading and posting armed guards on all the National forest and BLM roads. Sorry, but I love how people make up stuff to tell you to sensationalize stuff and scare the public. They are in fact just rumors that don't hold water or anything else. It is only limited access areas like National Parks and Monuments and even those you can get to by foot via trails through a National Forest if you wanted to.

Go here for the real deal
http://www.fs.usda.gov/payette

Alerts and Notices is where I usually go for closure information.

Go out and hunt. Good Luck!
mtnmutt

Postby bnsafe » 10 12, 2013 •  [Post 4]

there was a closed sign at the national refuge an roadblocks over the campgrounds but nothing at the forest roads
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Lefty » 10 13, 2013 •  [Post 5]

My BIL sent a pick of a locked gate on Mt Nebo in Utah,..Spent more money for the cute little sign and the time for someone to drive up and lock it :evil:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby FemoralArchery » 10 13, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I was in PNF Wednesday and today.

Had over 18 bulls bugling in those two days. Too bad I didn't have a bull tag.

No locked gates outside of the usual.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby LckyTylr » 10 14, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Femoral . . . My friend was in the PNF and said it was like a highway up on top of the ridges . . . dirtbikes and camps scattered all over the place . . . di you experience that where ever you happened to be hunting?

I'm frustrated, it took my 5 years to find a good spot . . . now it seems like "word is out . . . elk in PNF . . . Bring your canyon shooters and all your buddies . . . "
LckyTylr

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 14, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Tyler, we hunt some of the PNF as well, it's not all like that, you need to find tougher places there to hunt & get to! I was out yesterday & never saw one person. If easy & accessible you will find folks there, go where no one wants to go & the only access is by foot. We make sure to hunt areas where a dirt bike or ATV couldn't even imagine going. This really thins out the hunters!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby FemoralArchery » 10 14, 2013 •  [Post 9]

No. There were camps but no one was out and about. I only saw one guy that wasn't on the road and he was only 150 yards from it. It was pretty calm considering it was opening weekend of deer season.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby LckyTylr » 10 14, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Paul . . . I was thinking the same thing, I'm going to do as much google scouting as possible between now and the weekend . . . I guess one thing that's an issue for me is finding any kind of access road off from the main highway. They either lead to more dirt bike/atv trails or to private. It seems like there are trails crisscrossing all over the place up there if you look at a map.
LckyTylr

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 15, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Tyler, it may appear that trails are everywhere but keep in mind the Forest Service only maintains the popular ones. Most trails are not kept up anymore so are littered with downfall & un-kept making them difficult to find or follow. This is especially so if some of these trails are in & out of some of the older forest fire areas. The govt hasn't had the money to keep them up so they go unattended. Theirs lots of them like this. If you need a bit of guidance call me!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul