Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Great website!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Great website!

Postby Justinhilljah » 10 14, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I am getting ready for my second ever elk season. The anticipation is at a fever pitch! No luck last year, but did tag a buck muley. I am a rifle hunter in SW Montana (Bozeman). I am dying to get into bow hunting, but don't have the cash to join in the fun yet. Hopefully next season! Anyways, thanks for all of the great info and tips and good luck to everyone out there this year.
Justinhilljah

Re: Great website!

Postby Swede » 10 14, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to the forum Justinhilljah. We have dealt with the likes of cnelk, phantom16, and mtnmutt without too much problem. I am sure you will fit in just fine. :D .
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Z Barebow » 10 14, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Welcome to the forum Justinhilljah. I was in your neighborhood for an archery hunt the past couple of weeks. It is tough to spot all of those albino elk with all the snow I had!
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby Justinhilljah » 10 14, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Z Barebow wrote:Welcome to the forum Justinhilljah. I was in your neighborhood for an archery hunt the past couple of weeks. It is tough to spot all of those albino elk with all the snow I had!

Just got more of it overnight....I think it's going to be a cold rifle season.
Justinhilljah

Postby mtnmutt » 10 14, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Swede wrote:Welcome to the forum Justinhilljah. We have dealt with the likes of cnelk, phantom16, and mtnmutt without too much problem. I am sure you will fit in just fine. :D .

How did I get lump in with those 2? :shock: Or maybe they may ask the same question about me.

Justinhilljah, I hope you have the time of your life with your upcoming elk hunt and will share your hunting stories with us.

Even if you are not blessed with buying a bow, you may want to pickup some winter reading to fill your time. Elknut's (Paul's) playbook and Swede's treestand book are good reads and also make good beer mug coasters while watching football. The treestand book has merit for us non-treestand hunters even for someone like me who is a poor student. I attempted to apply the information for selecting ambush spots.
http://stores.elknut.com/Categories.bok ... y=Playbook

If you want to serenade your neighbors this winter, buy some mouth reeds and bugle. Your neighbors will thank you for the winter entertainment.
mtnmutt

Postby Justinhilljah » 10 14, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Thanks for the info mtnmutt. I have a few cow calls and funny story is that my first bugle arrived in the mail today. After two attempts in the kitchen it was quickly banned by my wife. The dog was the only one intrigued. Guess the garage is my new sound booth,
Justinhilljah

Postby cnelk » 10 14, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Not sure how my name came up first or at all?
Swede is the one you gotta watch... look for him above, in a tree stand
And his humor has a relative low humidity

Good luck with the bugle :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 10 14, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Welcome Justinhilljah!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 14, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Welcome to "the elk forum" buddy. I cut my elk teeth up north of you in NW MT two or three years ago. Lots of good information here for certain. Check out (if you haven't already) the archived tips on the top of the page. Lotsa good stuff there. Just a tip from an old chaser of elk, you don't need to spend a ton of coin on a bow. Check out the classified ads here (as well as other sites) and watch for a good deal on a pre owned one. Funny thing about many bow hunters (not a bad thing, it just is what it is) is that many of them get a new bow every year or two and sell their old ones at an affordable price.. just saying ;) Agree with mtnmutt on the recommended reading material for the winter. Both Elknut's playbook and Swede's Treestand Hunting Elk book are both great reads and are very reasonably priced considering the elk knowledge they contain. One more recommendation, put Elknut's DVD series on your Christmas list for Santa to put under the tree. You can thank me later (grin) ;) Oh, about those characters mentioned above. Cnelk is part elk I'm pretty sure.. a good elknut to follow on this forum and listen to for sure. Mtnmutt is a good cat also and provides some exceptional posts and discussion points. I'm honored to be mentioned in the same breath as those two. Now that guy from Oregon, the one that rides bulls (not the elk variety) to get in shape for elk hunting season is the one to watch out for.. He's a bit suspect :D Looking for ward to your posts Justin and again, welcome to "the elk forum". RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 10 14, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Mtnmutt: Remember what your mother taught you. "You are known by the company you keep." :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 15, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Hey Justin welcome! Good luck on this years hunts, doesn't matter Rifle or Bow just have fun in the great outdoors bud! Let us know how your hunt goes!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul