Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

2013 CO Big Gulch RFW ES Rifle

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

2013 CO Big Gulch RFW ES Rifle

Postby AmericanBwana » 10 14, 2013 •  [Post 1]

With 9 points at my disposal, and missing two years of archery due to an arm injury, I decided to roll the dice on a 1st season rifle CO RFW Either Sex hunt.

Upon arriving on Friday Oct 11 for the required hunter meeting, I was pleasantly surprised to find that only three hunters would be on the property opening day, and that we had two volunteer guides to help out.

Saturday morning I opted to go with the group that would be doing a`little walking`. Off we went up to the mountain where we found about 6 inches of wet snow. After walking about 2 miles we spotted a small group of elk about another 2 miles down in the valley. I opted to let the other hunting party (only 2 hunters with this guide), chase those elk. The guide and I headed back up the hill. We only saw one distant elk on our way up. Not much else to mention on Saturday.

Sunday we found out that the road down to the area where we saw the first group of elk Saturday was dry enough, so we (all three hunting parties), headed down there. Upon arriving, I whipped out my trusty Razor HD's and found a herd of elk in the predawn light. My partner and I headed up the hill. About a half hour later we were close enough for a long shot. After taking the shot we went over to make sure it was a clean miss. About 30 minutes later we heard a shot across the canyon. One of the other hunting parties connected. A short time later we saw the remaining elk from their group heading down the hill toward the 3rd group of hunters. No shots ensued, but we did hear some bugling and cow talk from the aspen grove where they holed up (Yep the bulls were still talking).

The rest of sunday morning was spent chasing elk herds as they came off the national forest onto this ranch. It seemed every time we moved to intercept a group of elk, another one would come right through were we had been. I hate elk!

After dropping my hunting partner off at noon, two land owner guides and I headed up the hill where the first group had harvest their elk that morning. It didn't take long for us to find a herd with 20 or so cows, with several bulls (one nice 5x5) about 900 yards way. Our cow calls brought the herd a running. Well until they caught our scent about 500 yards away. The guide went up ahead to see where that herd had gone, only return in few minutes telling me we had a group about 500 upwind with a 4x4 bull in it.

Keeping the wind and oak brush in our favor, we were able to close within 270 yards of the bull. The bull was behind some bushes, so I took the time to setup my shooting sticks, and get into a stable shooting position. Several minutes the bull moved away from the brush, heading up toward another smaller bull. They actually started to spar as we watched. Finally the bull gave me a broad side shot which I took. My little 270 placed the Barnes 130gr TTSX right where it needed to go. In fact the darned bullet passed through.

Anyway, the bull went about 50 yards, laid down. After a brief search in the oak brush, we found him piled up.

What a weekend. My first ever elk, 12 years in the making (I have passed on some archery shots in the past).

In conclusion, CO residents with preference points should consider these RFW hunts. The land owners help a lot (guides are normally NOT part of the deal), higher success rates, access to safe haven land (those elk herds running past us where leaving the public land), and lots of critters. These are rifle hunts.

Only 10 months to Archery season ;-)

AB
AmericanBwana

First Name: Dana
Last Name: Gertsch

Re: 2013 CO Big Gulch RFW ES Rifle

Postby bnsafe » 10 14, 2013 •  [Post 2]

congrats on your first elk. very nice
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 15, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Dana, congrats on your elk, very cool & hard earned for all the years invested, way to stay with it bud!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby H2Ofowlhunter » 10 15, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Congrats on the bull! Glad to see another fan of the .270 for elk, I even shoot the exact same bullet. Way to go!!
H2Ofowlhunter

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Montague

Postby BRazz » 10 15, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Congratulations! I shoot a .270 also...!
BRazz

First Name: B
Last Name: W