Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Early 2014 Plan(s)?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Early 2014 Plan(s)?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 14, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Yep, still some hunting left this year for sure dependent on your state and season/weapon options with your tag(s). Gonna poke around in the late WA season in November but I'm already starting to spitball next fall's elk plans. Only 321 days to go till 1 September 2014. How bout you cats? Got any early inclinations on your season plans for the 'next' elk season?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Early 2014 Plan(s)?

Postby LckyTylr » 10 15, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Scout for Cows!!!

This year I was all excited because I found so many bulls. I kept tabs on the for the first two weekends but thermals and topography kept me from getting any good stalks. Then . . . Suddenly . . . they were gone. I wasted another weekend trying to find them again and had to learn the new area they were in.

Not knowing where the cows are and knowing their hangouts really had me on my heels mid season. Next year, I know where to start looking for cows and I'll focus all of my summer efforts on them.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby bnsafe » 10 15, 2013 •  [Post 3]

ive learned so much this year an living out here. its been a huge curve. I am already planning on taking those lessons and implementing them for next season. changing the way I do some things hopefully to keep the drive there all season instead of getting burned out so quick. but yes, my mind is already on 2014, cant wait
also thinking about a spring bear hunt in wy an poss a turkey hunt. my goals are a grand slam on turkey an a Merriam would put me one bird away from it, and a whitetail elk pronghorn mulie an bear with my bow. ive got the first three so would like to get a bear an mulie next year more than anything else, including an elk.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Triplebhunters » 10 15, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Pretty much the same place same time for me.
Been hitting the playbook and CDs, figuring out sounds I heard (trying, may need pro guidance), calls I did right, why some didnt bring results, etc. hoping to go out next year a better elk hunter.
Dave
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby JGH » 10 15, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Got a second hunter lined-up ... that'll be a huge help.

As for changes ... I think I have about the best spot to camp, but ... I'm going to look for a different access point. It may mean a bit more in terms of driving, but I'll wake up at lower elevation than elk, so I can hunt "up" during the morning ...

I also want to continue my search for the perfect treestand spot.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby pointysticks » 10 15, 2013 •  [Post 6]

ahhh..my favorite trip of the year!!

AZ couse deer..archery season!!! january. this year should be nice. my wife has to study for board exam, so she needs me away and undistracting. hahahah..

my brother and i have a favorite spot. this year we might set up his pop up camper as base camp..and then strap on the bags for a 3 night excursion, just "that one extra ridge over". we know one of the areas best couse hunter. he gave us a spot, that is a haul in. but he said the further out, the less scared the deer are. the pop up spot is super nice. at least one stalk a day on a couse. big herd of dumber (only slightly dumber) mulies as well. one year i stalks the same mulie buck for six days straight. got close 3 times but never had a safe shot cuz of the doe surrounding him.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby pointysticks » 10 15, 2013 •  [Post 7]

.............and spring turkey..that count?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby FemoralArchery » 10 15, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Next year is already planned, in full.

Hunting cows only next year, but I'm going to have 4 first time elk hunters in camp with me.

2 week cow/mule deer hunt. Next year will be a much shorter hunting season, but still in my favorite area.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby Swede » 10 15, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I was toying with the idea of going hunting with someone that has great tree stand locations, and getting a 300+ class bull is pretty common. I would enjoy a hunt with a good cook and where the pack out is not too difficult. Then I got to thinking, I would need to really lighten up and quit harassing folks here. Since that will never do, I think I will just go back where I belong. I believe one of those stinken elk over there will slip up, and I will get the last laugh. Anyway that is my plan for now.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cnelk » 10 15, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Geez Swede
For a minute there I thought you were coming to hunt with me
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby JJ Overkill » 10 15, 2013 •  [Post 11]

it all depends on the draw ;) if my son and I don't draw we will go OTC. but if we draw and David and Gregg draw then our party is splitting for the yr. the only way we are all going to get together is if none of us draw. I have been playing the what if game and trying to figure out both plans knowing ones going to fall through.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby mtnmutt » 10 15, 2013 •  [Post 12]

trail cams, trail cams, trail cams. I tried them for the first time this year and then did not hunt those locations because of other factors. I need to concentrate more on ambush. Even if a youngster (illegal spike) did come to my call this year, I need to commit more to ambush on travel routes.

I also need to find a better late September place to hunt where the ML don't go up high and do a drive of the elk down for their pals below them on opening ML weekend. The ML drive once worked out for me on ML opening day, but I did not capitalize on it this year (bad setup).

If my brother takes up hunting (ML) next year, I have no clue what we will do. He knows less than me because he has never hunted. Maybe we should just take up fishing. I like fish and you don't need to learn to call in fish.
mtnmutt

Postby Triplebhunters » 10 15, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Swedes idea was Kool. I have the good cook, as far as the rest I'm lost.

Mountain Mutt, stick with elk hunting. One must take yearly college course to fish.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby cnelk » 10 15, 2013 •  [Post 14]

My 2014 plans have started.
I have been gathering logistic info and making lists of gear for my Alaska moose hunt/experience.

Just tonight i went downtown and found some wool items that were on sale/surplus
A nice Helly Hanson wool zipper top sweater - $19
A Pendelton wool shirt $5
Wool field pants - $12

Tomorrow night is a biggie... headed to the new Cabela's north of Denver

The plans never stop
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Broken arrow » 10 15, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Training training training. 2 weeks OTC backcountry take what I learned this year and try and get a bull in 2014. But I won't hesitate if presented with another shot at a cow. Elk is to taste to pass on for some bone.
Broken arrow

Postby elkaholic » 10 16, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Yes it is booked. Aside from the normal training regimen, I will work at becoming less dependent on my rangefinder. I need to be better at judging distance on the fly. My partner and I are going to hunt the same zone but we need to scout for some new areas and campsites. 46 weeks till Ttime.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby Elkduds » 10 16, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I'm going to use up my 21 resident PPs in CO on the finest deer hunt I can find. If you have nominations, please reply to my post on the Muley forum here.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Washington Wapiti » 10 16, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Hunt blacktail! While out for elk, I found a well-used trail that elk, but mostly deer use that's maybe a mile or so up the hill from one of our main spots. After modern, I'll probably throw a camera up there and see how the traffic is. Maybe it will be a great treestand spot. Otherwise, I'll just do a still-hunting/spot and stalk combo around there, when the "next season" rolls around.
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby Trophyhill » 10 16, 2013 •  [Post 19]

if I don't draw my unit in CO which I should have drawn this year......I will very covertly follow Slim9300 into his "secret" honeyhole in Montana ;)
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 16, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Trophyhill wrote:if I don't draw my unit in CO which I should have drawn this year......I will very covertly follow Slim9300 into his "secret" honeyhole in Montana ;)

Good plan ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby slim9300 » 10 16, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Trophyhill wrote:if I don't draw my unit in CO which I should have drawn this year......I will very covertly follow Slim9300 into his "secret" honeyhole in Montana ;)

Probably a good plan David. ;)

The only thing scaring me is that you put 'secret' in parenthesis. Normally that means the opposite of what it implies. Dang it! I knew I should have inspected the truck for hidden GPS devices this year. :)
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby cantgetdrawn » 10 16, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Still have a deer tag I can use for the January hunt and a Barbary sheep tag I can use in February. Not sure I can make both hunts but I am hoping, if not at least one.

Thinking about finally exploring AZ regs. I keep hearing there are decent units you can draw with zero points, maybe for a late rifle hunt?

Good luck guys
cantgetdrawn

Postby Trophyhill » 10 16, 2013 •  [Post 23]

slim9300 wrote:

The only thing scaring me is that you put 'secret' in parenthesis. Normally that means the opposite of what it implies. Dang it! I knew I should have inspected the truck for hidden GPS devices this year. :)

ha no i'm not that hi tech just yet. right now the 2 highest tech pieces of gear I have are my D350 and my BT1 ;)
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby slim9300 » 10 17, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Trophyhill wrote:
slim9300 wrote:

ha no i'm not that hi tech just yet. right now the 2 highest tech pieces of gear I have are my D350 and my BT1 ;)

Two fine pieces of technology! :)
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby rowdycwby1 » 10 17, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Still have whitetails in Louisiana in November and my NM mule deer hunt in January to help keep me occupied until next year. Looks like next year is pretty much planned out my cousin from Louisiana and Florida and my buddy and I are putting in for here in New Mexico and if we dond get drawn where goibg to Colorado for OTC elk near Westbrook CO.
rowdycwby1

First Name: Matthew
Last Name: Arreola

Postby JGH » 10 19, 2013 •  [Post 26]

Rifle season now in Wyoming ... I'm not highly-motivated, though ... may go out a bit, but most of my "hunting" time now is in planning.

Turkeys in spring ... haven't hunted WY turkeys yet ... any advice appreciated.

Pronghorn in August ... will try to kill 2 does and a buck, working on calming the nerves for elk.

Elk in September ... planning a week out again, this time with a partner ... and I think that will be the key to calling them AND shooting them.

Rifle WT in Nebraska in November ... I'd like to use a rifle to hunt, and enjoy reloading ... but am really getting out of the rifle hunting.

Caribou 2015? ... a guy can dream.

Moose 2016? ... big dreams ... big research will be needed.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby AmericanBwana » 10 19, 2013 •  [Post 27]

I have a rifle ES whitetail tag for early December.

Youth Elk outreach hunt the first weekend of Nov.

Will start looking for a hunting partner early next year. My area is to far to attempt toting an elk out alone in Sept.

OTC CO Archery Elk, with probably a 1st rifle cow tag for the same unit.

No spring hunts planned.
AmericanBwana

First Name: Dana
Last Name: Gertsch