Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Son's Colorado Unit 49 Elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Son's Colorado Unit 49 Elk

Postby Magic » 10 21, 2013 •  [Post 1]

We did some driving and scouting Thursday and Friday before the season opened Saturday. During that time, we saw elk morning and evening and had located 8 hunt-able bulls. Two were very large "herd" bulls with cows and we absolutely did not disturb any of them. That was then and now was now. We hunted three days without seeing a hair. Everything could be summed up with one word, WIND. The prevailing wind was from the West and Southwest. The instant it stopped, the updraft was from the East. Too many times everything was going well and then the wind would hit us in the back of the neck. We found so many places where animals had skidded to a stop and reversed directions. We finally got down to Wednesday, the very last day of the season.

About 7:30 AM, we cut the tracks of a herd traveling into the wind that also showed bull tracks. Marty asked me if I thought that it was doable. Since we knew that we really had little option, we started out. Two hours later we had really slowed down because we felt that something was gonna happen, and happen it did. Three cows had bedded facing their backtrack and blew out. Now, what to do? We sat down, ate a sandwich, and rested. Marty got up to stretch and was facing several cow elk and 3 bulls at 50 yards. He grabbed his rifle, they spooked, and the race was on but elk win that kind of race every time. This commotion spooked a nearby huge herdbull and several cows and away they went. Marty was dejected, but I told him that the "fat lady" still had not sung. I was just being hopeful.

Since we were now over two miles from the truck we decided to hunt our way out. Of course I was following Marty, and I always look the opposite way that he is looking. That way we are both scanning and one may see something that the other may miss. To our left about 150 yards away I spotted yellow. The binocular came up and I immediately saw antlers. I said "bull", Marty dropped to one knee, and a bullet was on the way. I knew that the shot was good and as the bull jumped and stopped, he made another shot. I saw him go down. When we got to him, a quick follow up shot ended it all.

This was a very limited area and we never saw another hunter while hunting. Sadly, due to my age, I will never be able to draw a limited area again. Marty has a possibility, but it will take probably 10 years.
Attachments
DSCN0443.JPG
Last day 4X4 bull.
DSCN0443.JPG (209.93 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
DSCN0452.JPG
Quarterd and ready for packout.
DSCN0452.JPG (210.9 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
DSCN0460.JPG
The last trip out with head/antlers. (orange flagging was placed after the photo)
DSCN0460.JPG (172.2 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Re: Son's Colorado Unit 49 Elk

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 21, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Marty, way to go dude, nice shooting on a fine bull! Lyn thanks for relating the story. I hear you about age catching up with us all, if we could just slow it down a bit! (grin) Congrats!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Triplebhunters » 10 21, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Congrats.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby Swede » 10 21, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Very nice bull. Congratulations. Looks like some folks are going to enjoy some great dinners soon.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 21, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Very pretty bull. Congrats!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby bnsafe » 10 21, 2013 •  [Post 6]

way to hang in there. congrats
bnsafe

First Name: Scott