Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk & Mule Deer hunt tips

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk & Mule Deer hunt tips

Postby cis429 » 10 22, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hello everyone - I'm sure my topic has been covered well, but I'd like to take the time to say hello and get some discussion going about something we all like to to talk about anyway.....in a few weeks I'll be going on my first elk hunt and first hunt in Colorado. I have a lot of experience hunting whitetails in Michigan.

I've lived in CO for many years and know the mountains well. I'm well prepared in gear and have scouted the area. I have both buck and bull tags. So my question is, what is the best general strategy to consider to maximize chances of success for both deer and elk? I'll be hunting around 10,000 feet in mid-November. Understanding weather will be a factor, what else should I consider?

Many thanks.
cis429

First Name: Curtiss
Last Name: S

Re: Elk & Mule Deer hunt tips

Postby Z Barebow » 10 22, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I doubt I can offer anything of huge importance, but I would say this. GOOD GLASS. Spend as much or more time glassing than moving.

Let your eyes do the walking and covering ground. The snow will betray not only the animals but their tracks. If you don't see tracks (with glass), there are no critters and move on. No need of trapesing through knee deep snow just to be "hunting".
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby Elkduds » 10 22, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Bucks and bulls aren't necessarily in the same location as each other now, since bulls are post-rut and bucks are pre-rut. Bucks are more likely to follow does down in elevation with a foot of snow, while bulls may not come down at all, or until there is more than 2' of snow.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 22, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Curtiss, nice to have you around bud! My best advice is to glass, glass & glass some more! (grin) On late hunts as yours find those vantage areas & let the Optics loose! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 10 22, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I do not hunt both deer and elk at the same time. I would focus on the elk first, and after you get an elk go for the deer. While hunting elk, like this year, I have taken deer, but the focus was on the elk. I was hunting elk habitat and looking for elk. Good elk hunting tactics will work for mule deer, and vice versa.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 24, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Mid November at 10,000 ft. in the mountains of Colorado is a crap shoot at best! But who knows what mother nature has in store? There is already plenty of snow up there right now the forecast is for a 60% chance of more on the 1st of November.

My advice would be to have a good plan B and C at some lower elevations.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby tdiesel » 10 24, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Swede hit it IMO. Hunt one and then the other if opportunity arises sure take one but usually I find if your trying to do both you do neither one real well.
tdiesel

First Name: Tod
Last Name: Mortensen

Postby cis429 » 10 26, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Thanks for the replies thus far. I am definitely thinking I will focus on elk and look to be opportunistic on a buck. I have been concerned about my optics for this trip but have to draw the line somewhere in expenses (generator, trailer, new boots/clothes, etc). I only have mediocre binoculars with plans to upgrade next year. Is this a glaring oversight?
cis429

First Name: Curtiss
Last Name: S