Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Not a normal rifle hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Not a normal rifle hunt

Postby mramos » 10 22, 2013 •  [Post 1]

So I was lucky enough to draw a nice tag in the gila for bow season in mid September, unfortunately I missed from 40 yards and had several other close encounters but couldnt seal the deal but the bulls were screaming like nothing I've ever seen. As it turns out my wife drew the same tag for rifle so we went back and I expected to work hard glassing and hiking since I've been told so often elk do not bugle much nor do they come to calls this late in October. To summarize, the second morning we heard an elk bugle 4 to 5 times which got me hopeful that we could pinpoint some if they were still talking. On the third morning we walk up a very small canyon and hear a loud bugle with a chuckle which is then followed up by 3 more bugles by 3 different bulls all in a very small canyon. This back and forth went on for a good hour and I was convinced there was at least 5 bulls, we saw 3 and 2 of them had cows with them. We ended up getting busted by 2 herds and they moved out of the area, thinking the bulls were done bugling I decided to bugle and I immediately got a response so we moved towards it bugled again and it was quiet moved some more and bugled one more time, still silent. Just as I told my wife they were done a nice 6 by 6 comes on a rope straight at us and my wife shoots him at 60 yards, he tumbles down the canyon wall and lands right by the road. Any ideas why the elk were exhibiting this type of rutting activity so late in October?
mramos

First Name: Manny
Last Name: Ramos

Re: Not a normal rifle hunt

Postby ORelksniper » 10 22, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Hot cows.

Sounds like a fun hunt and congrats on the bull. Next to the road, huh. Sweet.
ORelksniper

Postby cnelk » 10 22, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Yep.
Cows hold the keys...
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Swede » 10 22, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Bulls can bugle any time of the year. I have heard them in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. Cows can still be coming into estrus late.
I think the bigger lesson to be seen here is to know your source of information. Go first with experience. Whereas experienced elk hunters will have many common points of understanding, they also all have different experiences. They have adapted to different areas and situations. They have different opinions on some points.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby mramos » 10 22, 2013 •  [Post 5]

That's a good poin but since I'm a relatively new hunter all I can base it off is what I've researched and most of that research has indicated that there is only minimal rutting activity after sept( possibly 2nd and 3rd estrus cycles). This experience made it feel like it was September because of how vocal and responsive these bulls were, it was something I never expected but made for a neat experience. Thanks for all the insight
mramos

First Name: Manny
Last Name: Ramos

Postby Swede » 10 22, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I agree that a lot of bugling activity in late October is unusual. It sounds like what you experienced was outside of the ordinary.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby LckyTylr » 10 22, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I don't have much experience (have never killed an elk), but in the last 3 years while deer hunting after my elk season is over, I have seen bulls bugling the first week of November as if they were on their way to breed a hot cow in the next 10 seconds. Last year I watched a ginormous 6x6 bugle his fool head off for about 30 minutes. He'd alternate between bugling, thrashing trees and pacing back and forth. I was just messing with him, cow calling and spike squealing at him from several hundred yards away. He was NOT happy about it and didn't know what to do about it other than thrash that poor tree. He was VERY animated and it was a lesson that I won't soon forget . . . bulls bugle when they want to . . . or when they are h0rny . . . no rules in that department right . . . ?
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson