Elk Hunters, Are You Satisfied?

Postby Trophyhill » 10 23, 2013 •  [Post 1]

if you answered no, why not?
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Re: Elk Hunters, Are You Satisfied?

Postby JJ Overkill » 10 23, 2013 •  [Post 2]

satisfied with what david? if its about elk hunting then no, my season ended way to soon, in a good way but its so long until I get to hunt them again. my families going through the meat like its going out of style. I need another elk or two :D
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby Trophyhill » 10 23, 2013 •  [Post 3]

jerinmn wrote:satisfied with what david? if its about elk hunting then no, my season ended way to soon, in a good way but its so long until I get to hunt them again. my families going through the meat like its going out of style. I need another elk or two :D

lol I hear ya! Swedes thread about quitting got me to thinking am I satisfied? if I ever become satisfied I should quit. i'm always going to want to be better and reach for that elk that most think is out of reach for them. looking back on this years hunt I just didn't push hard enough. I didn't walk over that next mountain. I didn't go far enough. my actions weren't aggressive enough. my calling wasn't good enough. my drive was not good enough. my motivation was not good enough. my conditioning was not good enough. I know there were elk somewhere in the areas we were hunting. I never quit and stuck it out til the end but there were a lot of things I didn't do that I should have done and I just wasn't good enough or smart enough to find a cow in the end. being good "sometimes" isn't good enough.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 10 23, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I'm glad I could help ChuckarNUT take his first bull.

Are addicts ever satisfied? Do you think one of these days we will all overdose on elk hunting. ;)
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 10 23, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I am over being disappointed about my last hunt. I second guessed myself a lot, but this I know: I did my best. I had fun. I am satisfied with most of everything. I hope to do better next time, but there is no assurance the results will change. I would not want it any other way. If I wanted a guarantee, I would go to the butcher shop where I could buy a lot of fine steaks and hamburger for the money alone I put into elk hunting.
I am just addicted to the fun of the hunt. I'll take my chances. BTW: I just ordered a new Millennium tree stand for my son and one for me today. I need one more reliable trail camera, so that will be decided on fairly soon. I am planning ahead. That dirty rotten bull that eluded me this year, will not get away with it again.
Hey WW: Why don't you mail me those popsicles that are clogging up your freezer, so you can have room for some more elk? I have plenty of room in my freezer and UPS delivers right to my door.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby BrentLaBere » 10 24, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Not in the least bit. I am using it as a chip on my shoulder for training in the off season to be better myself physically and mentally.
Everything coming down to calling and shooting. Just need to sharpen all the tools in the box and mark new 'honey holes' to venture to next year.
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 24, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Swede wrote: "Hey WW: Why don't you mail me those popsicles that are clogging up your freezer, so you can have room for some more elk? I have plenty of room in my freezer and UPS delivers right to my door".

No need to worry! I've been eating popcicles like crazy. And my tag is good until January 15.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 10 24, 2013 •  [Post 8]

WW: I thought I had a stroke of genius, in offering to take care of your bounty of popsicles, but it seems everyone has even better ideas. That is typical for me. So now you are getting rid of the popsicles by eating them up, and the UPS man I was coordinating with says, they would melt before they could get here anyway. It is sure hard to be a genius these days. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby JJ Overkill » 10 24, 2013 •  [Post 9]

david, I think after our bulls were down, our drive my have died down a lot while we were cow hunting. we got laid back. the downer for me was when Cameron missed two elk in one day. looking back we could have pushed harder or at least I know I could have. its kind of hard for me in some ways. I know what I can do but im not sure how much abuse my son can take and still have fun. key word FUN! Ive walked him into the ground and his interest in hunting seems to drop off. I know you and him hiked some steep stuff together. he wasn't very excited when I said I wanted to back in there. so we didn't. It might sound like im complaining but that's not the case. I love hunting with him and I want his trips in the mountains to be fun and enjoyable. at times it does get hard to hold myself back. this up coming yr should be better. we are going to start in the spring and hike some of CO 14,000 footers. I keep telling him its for football and has nothing to due with hunting :D
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby slim9300 » 10 24, 2013 •  [Post 10]

With regard to Sept., the answer is yes. For the remainder of the season the answer is no. Two bucks, one doe and one cow elk left to kill. There is a lot of meat left to bring home. :)
Work hard. Be happy. Annoy a Liberal. :wink:
2012 Bowtech Insanity CPXL (Crackerized!) #61/31" DL (Gold Tip Pro ~ 455 grains @ 290 fps = 86 lbs. KE!)
University of Washington; Foster School of Business Alum
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Magic » 10 25, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Satisfied?? With a successful hunt behind us this year....Oh yes. Sad that it is over for the year.....Oh yes.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D