Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Base camp, spike camp, bivouac, etc.???

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Base camp, spike camp, bivouac, etc.???

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 24, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I think a lot of times hunters get confused with the terminology we elk hunters use to describe the type of hunt or camp we use. So just for the record, lets hear your definition of each of the following.

#1 Base Camp

#2 Spike Camp

#3 Bivouac

#4 Drop Camp

#5 Anything else you'd care to mention!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Base camp, spike camp, bivouac, etc.???

Postby Z Barebow » 10 24, 2013 •  [Post 2]

#1- Basecamp- At the end of the road. Large tent/tents/wall tent, camper/RV/truck or cabin. You have many of the luxuries of home and are generally not concerned about weight.

#2- Spike Camp- A camp which you set up in the backcountry via foot or horseback. This camp is left up day after day and hunter comes back every evening. For the hunter on foot, it is often confused with bivouac hunting. Main difference is hunter does not hunt with spike camp on his back.

#3- Bivouac- The hunter has camp on his back while hunting day after day. Hunter sets up camp at the end of day and tears it down before he heads out in the morning.

#4- Drop camp- A wrangler/ outfitter hauls gear (your own or outfitter suppied) into the backcountry via horseback. Hunter generally suppies all of his own food and hunting gear. Outfitter/wrangler will have an arrangement with hunter to pack out camp and meat when hunt duration is complete.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 24, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Agree with Z Barebow on all except spike camp. I've always called a permanent camp in the backcountry, which one hunts from and comes back to each night, a backcountry camp. To me, a spike camp was something that we've set up way back in from a main camp (base camp), or, quite a distance from a backcountry camp. This spike camp only contains the minimal gear for an overnight stay, perhaps a small two person tent, a flannel bag liner or two to sleep in, and maybe chow and water for a night or so. It was a place we could rack out in when we hunted far away from the a base or a backcountry camp and didn't want to hike all the way back, or, just wanted to hunt from that particular spot in the early morning without a long walk in.

Thoughts?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 10 24, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Z Barebow nailed it.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Broken arrow » 10 24, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I also agree with what Z barebow said. I would also add spike/bivy. Bivy till you find what you're looking for then spike camp until you either kill or have to move to find them again. I think it's a good way to both be mobile and save energy.
Broken arrow

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 24, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I thought I'd get some far out explanations to this post. LOL! But so far, everyone has pretty much nailed it. As a matter of fact, I couldn't say it any better than Z Barebow did. The only thing I might add is that the dictionary defines bivouacking as on go camping without a shelter. Personally, I'm not that hard core.

I'm basically a day hunter with bivouac capability. Meaning that I always have enough gear to spend the night where ever dark may find me. The only difference between me and a true bivy hunter is that I don't have a sleeping bag and pad. LOL!
>>>---WW---->

Postby pointysticks » 10 24, 2013 •  [Post 7]

you forgot one:

#0 Hotel camp.

hahahha. i knew a guy that would stay at a hotel nightly. he would drive up the mountain every morning.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 24, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I still say a spike camp is not a main hunt camp but one you 'spike out' to outside of the main camp be it base or backcountry :)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 10 24, 2013 •  [Post 9]

RJ: I see we are going to have to work with you a little on this. "Base" is where you park your vehicle, or it could be back where you set up, leave much of your equipment and drive out from. Spike camps are usually shorter duration camps with limited supplies. Base camps are where you usually return to from spike camps. "Spike camp" implies you have a base camp somewhere. Am I confusing you? If so help me out here WW or Z Barebow.
Hunters use "spike camps" quite a lot, but spike camps are not strictly hunting camps. We had them on occasion on wild fires.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Z Barebow » 10 25, 2013 •  [Post 10]

This one is a little murky. I usually park my truck and head into the mountains with 7-8 days of supplies. I set up camp 2-6 miles in. I may hunt from camp for the duration or I might move it once in that time frame. I consider this a spike camp because I do not have the luxuries of what I consider a base camp. (Shower, extensive food, heat, etc)

Base camp can take on many forms. For me, a spike camp is one that I haul in on my back. A base camp I can drive to Ex trailhead, campground, end of road, hotel, etc (or horses hauled in tons of gear)
Z Barebow

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 25, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Yep, it does get a little murkey! To me, any main camp is your base camp. Reguardless of how large or how small it is, if it is your main base of operation for an extended amount of time, it is a base camp. It could be a vehicle, a roadside camp, a packed in camp (horse, foot , or ATV. A spike camp to me is a smaller camp that is out away from the base camp. It usually consist of a smaller shelter, bedding, and a small amount of food for a short period of time. A bivouac camp is a run and gun type of operation that is on you back all the time and is very lite and minimal. If you were a backpacker instead of a hunter, I suppose you could compare a bivouac to an ultra lite or super ultra lite pack hike.
>>>---WW---->

Postby ishy » 10 27, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I was chatting with a guy yesterday and he said he'd bivy a spot one mile in! I thought he hasn't read this thread yet :D. Or that's just how he hunts?
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby MTLongdraw » 10 28, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Is it just me or is it ironic that this screen we are reading is gray? :D We have arrived at the gray area.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby Z Barebow » 10 28, 2013 •  [Post 14]

MT- Definition of irony!

I know if someone looked at my backcountry camp and called it a base camp, I would hate to see a spike out camp! For the most part, my equipment/supplies are items which would be used on a bivy hunt. But without the hunting with my camp on my back.

I tried a true bivy hike this summer while scouting (so I could cover ground). By the 4th day, I was wupped. I had a little too much in the way of supplies but maybe only 3 extra pounds. But if I were actually hunting, I would have had items which I did not carry (game bags, knives, calls, etc) For the guys who truely hunt bivy style, I tip my cap to you. It is more than I can handle. Setting up/tearing down tent, sleeping bag, retrieving food from bear bag, etc. All of this takes time. And it is time I could be hunting.

I guess I figure if I can hike in 2-6 miles and set up a backcountry camp, I should be in an area with elk in .25-3 miles. If I need to venture further, I likely cannot get an elk out. Time to pull up camp and move to Plan B, C etc.
Z Barebow