Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Need help planning CO cow hunt

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Need help planning CO cow hunt

Postby cpowell » 10 28, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Looking to go on the cheapest elk hunting adventure two college kids from West Virginia can go on. Have been focusing on colorado leftover tags for fourth season rifle. Need to know about conditions to expect and any advice or GMU unit referrals would be great as its hard to pick.
I read elk leave the flat tops area to go lower into private land when things get nasty--so I dont know if I should throw out unit 24 and look for something else. Also, we are planning to backpack in and camp and move a few miles a day. I have read many articles saying to get away from other hunters and go to the nastiest of the nasty places to find elk--also heard that elk wil get pushed from other hunters and to just pick a good place a mile or so in and basically still hunt.

Any basic information about elk hunting would be appreciated. I've never done it.
Any areas I should look into that would have the greatest chances of seeing elk in the fourth season would help.
Any Camping insights on backpackng with small cheap backpacking tents and 0 degree bags and freezing would also be very valuable.
cpowell

First Name: chris
Last Name: powell

Re: Need help planning CO cow hunt

Postby Vanish » 10 28, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I don't have a lot of information on this as I hunt archery elk, but to me 4th season and backpacking don't go together very well. :D
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby AmericanBwana » 10 28, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Are you talking about this year?

The Bison Lake SNOTEL site is reporting about 10" of snow up at 10,500 or so. With a winter storm warning issued for the area starting tomorrow night.

A cheap tent, and 0 degree bag probably would not be my first choice. Heck the kids and I hunted up there out of a wall tent with a stove during 3rd Rifle, and we froze once outside. Not doing that again.

Also, expect a ton of other people where ever you go.

AB

SNOTEL URL -> http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/Col ... orado.html
AmericanBwana

First Name: Dana
Last Name: Gertsch

Postby cnelk » 10 28, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I think this is a bad idea, this year or any year.
You are basically heading into uncharted areas at not the best time of year.
Cows can be had with much easier effort and safety.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 28, 2013 •  [Post 5]

cpowell. Agree with all said above. It's one thing to do an impromtu hunt in any of the mountain states if you live here and are just hunting from your pickups, or, with friends from their base camp. It's another thing completely to travel across the nation and jump into a hunt w/o a great deal of forethought and planning. If you and your buddy want to maximize your success opportunities, and, enjoy your hunt much more.... start planning now for a fall 2014 hunt. There is a ton of excellent information on this site, and, some pretty dang good folks that are willing to help young hunters out with all phases of their adventure. I'd hate to see you do an impromtu hunt in a few weeks and not enjoy it. Would much rather see you dig into all your options (state, areas) and plan your hunt down to the items in your emergency kit. I guarantee you'll have a better time :).. just my .02.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby cpowell » 11 05, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I appreciate the quick responses and warnings. However, I'm too stupid to listen to smart advice. That being said, my hunting partner bought a cow tag for unit 47 and I will be following suite. We will be backpacking with a kelty 2 person tent which is not ideal. However we have the military sleep systems that have a goretex bivy and are rated well below zero. But I believe they all be and assume its good for zero. I also have a thermarest pad for a little protection from the ground. That being said...

I read that 47 is ruff and I would appreciate any insight on fourth season.

If conditions are too bad, we will probably set up outside our car in a bigger tent in cots but still no heat and centre out for day hikes.

I've been in touche with local dnr and have topo maps and gps to go off of.

Does anyone know if I will be able to get my car to a trail head or will I be parking at the end of a forest service road?

Please give me any input,
Cpowell
cpowell

Postby ereel » 11 05, 2013 •  [Post 7]

hello i am the other college kid,

the fact is that i deploy overseas in march and this will be the last time i get to hunt in the next two years. so we are trying to make the best out of the worst situation possible. i have talked to the game warden of unit 47 and he has given a few areas to scout that range from 6000-8500 in elevation. the success rate for this unit in 4th rifle is about 30% and only 87 tags total are sold so far, so hunting pressure shouldn't be are biggest concern. if you could provide any advice/tips it would greatly be appreciated.
ereel

First Name: elliott
Last Name: reel

Postby cnelk » 11 05, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Get a SPOT and carry it
I still think you are flirting with disaster tho :)

Im going 4th season and Im staying in a bunkhouse with a wall tent set up in the forest for mid-day down time
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 06, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Land owner tags are a good option. A good December hunt can be had at 970-824-9317. Give em a call.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Elkduds » 11 06, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Consider spending part of every 2nd or 3rd day in the Hot Springs pool in Glenwood Springs, very awesome. Consider finding the cheapest offseason hotel rate in Basalt, El Jebel, maybe Aspen or Snowmass Village. Bring tire chains, winch or come-along, hi-lift jack, snow shoes, kids plastic sled, shovels. There is beautiful elk country high up on Independence Pass, your unit is north of the Pass road (pass may be closed by snow). Bring every layer of clothes you can, wear dry clothes and dry boots every day, get gaiters. Sleep on top of several insulating layers. Glass, glass, glass before hunting on foot. Prepare and maintain your vehicle before the trip. Eat lots of carbs and fat. Read and understand CO game regulations. Sight in your weapon. Learn to quarter without gutting. Have multiple safety and contingency plans so you don't die if your truck dies. Stay hydrated/use NSAIDS (ibuprofen, etc) to limit effects of altitude, avoid alcohol for same reason. Sunscreen and eye protection as snow is bright at altitude. Bring and be familiar with GPS, map compass. Hunt within sight of each other. Plan on NO CELL SERVICE.

Post afterward to tell us how you fared!
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby cpowell » 11 06, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Thanks for your replys! Elkduds, We're actually driving a car. Should we be planning on walking out the pass road or do you have any suggestions? It's not very effective or ideal but that's the plan. But thanks again for the great advice.
cpowell

Postby Elkduds » 11 06, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I am now officially scared to be corresponding with you. :shock: The warnings of others in this thread are deadly serious. Disregard Independence Pass 15 miles west of Aspen. Keep your car on paved or graded roads. Look east of Basalt for the Christine State Wildlife Area and some BLM ground, at elevations below 9K feet. You can leave your car on the road and walk in on trails. See CO Big Game Atlas online for detailed maps, including foot trails and jeep trails you could walk. The advice you got from the wildlife official is probably better than any more I can give you about where to look for elk. Be very, very careful. I have heard of no hunter deaths this year in CO so far, which is unusual. Don't be the first.
Elkduds

Postby cpowell » 11 07, 2013 •  [Post 13]

We're looking at the triangle peaks area which I believe is off a four lane highway. I hope we can manage at least that in 2wd! I have been looking at the hunting atlas. Any more suggestions would be great.
cpowell

Postby cpowell » 11 08, 2013 •  [Post 14]

On our way to unit 47.
cpowell

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 08, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Best of luck to you and your buddy. Think safety with everything you guys do.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Elkduds » 11 08, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Weather forecast calls for chance of snow in CO mountains Wed-Fri. Good luck, good hunting, be careful. This is what you're after:
Attachments
100_0069shrunk.jpg
100_0069shrunk.jpg (471.87 KiB) Viewed 11944 times
Elkduds

Postby Lark Bunting » 11 13, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Any updates?
Lark Bunting

First Name: Tom
Last Name: S

Postby cpowell » 11 16, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Almost back home already! We went up Sunday morning into the triangle peak area late afternoon. Hiked 2 miles up the hill with heavy packs an ended up camping near the top of the hill. The following day we bushwhacked into reds canyon and set up our base camp. We were Ill prepared for the mid 50 degree weather so we wore nothing but under armour which looked pretty goofy. We hunted two areas and seen turkeys, muleys, and much more wildlife. But unfortunately we didn't see any elk, moose, or bear. I believe we should have attempted to take the car Into te frying pan area with the weather so nice. But we hunted our way out Friday morning because we didnt want to be packing out 60 pound packs up deer trails with any accumulation of snow. All together we went around ten miles. It turned out finding water was a problem and initially we had to boil snow. Later we found a stream which was over a mile hike to fill up our camelbacks. But overall it was a bunch of fun, the weather was awesome, and the scenery was gorgeous. If I would of gotten a mule deer tag I could of shot an awesome buck 180 yards right in front of our camp. im definitely already thinking of where I should go next year! It's definitely a bummer seeing 4x4's breeze up the trails while your packing in on your back, I'll probably try to look into motor-less zones next time.
cpowell

Postby >>>---WW----> » 11 16, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Well, it sure sounds like you saw some beautiful sights and had a good time. That is really important in any hunting venture. At least you got to take in what thousands of others only dream of. You now have plenty of time to plan the next hunt. Good luck picking a spot.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Elkduds » 11 16, 2013 •  [Post 20]

I am glad to learn you came through your hunt unscathed. I was concerned you might encounter obstacles you weren't prepared for. There is no instructor like experience. Sounds like you lucked out on the weather, good deal. Having ATVs around where you are hunting is less than ideal. Did you hear any shots or find any hunters that took elk? Any photos to post?
Elkduds

Postby cpowell » 11 18, 2013 •  [Post 21]

Very glad I bought trekking poles after initially making fun of my hunting partners! It was ruff country. I heard a solitaire shot around 7am opening day on wed. I assume it was a mule deer though. The locals said they seen some bulls but no cows in the area. We were passed by about three or four vehicles going up the "main road" towards triangle peak and told there was one camp near the peak. The weather was funky and warm and I imagine elk were up in the highest areas around, likely 10000 +
cpowell

Postby kevin_t » 11 18, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Man I spent 13 days or more in backcountry with not a shot and my wife drives up on a herd while going to the trailhead. I guess she has all the luck and that's why she is with me :)

I love to backpack hunt but there are very few areas that others don't know of, it is somewhat a matter of when. It's hard to out walk a horse hunter , but you can stack the odds in your favor , however a bit of luck always helps.
kevin_t
Site Sponsor

First Name: kevin
Last Name: timm