Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Any Muzzle-loader Elk Hunters?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Any Muzzle-loader Elk Hunters?

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 29, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Anyone doing some MZ Elk hunting this year? If so are you hunting Bulls or Cows? Here in Idaho you can hunt certain parts of the state with a MZ if you had the A tag & did not fill it during your archery season, do other states have similar seasons?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Any Muzzle-loader Elk Hunters?

Postby twinkieman » 10 29, 2013 •  [Post 2]

A couple of us are thinking of coming back to Id. on 11/09/13, and hunting to the 11/14/13. We hunted in a new unit this year during Sept., there were plenty of elk, and while I did not releases an arrow, I could have 4 times. Now one of my partners wants to go and fill our tags for meat on a cow hunt. He seems to think that I will be able to locate elk, and that it would be easy to get a couple of cows. I'm telling him that no elk in the places that I hunt would be easy. :D

Nothing definite yet, just talking about going.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Waygoner » 10 29, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I've been hunting Colorado's muzzle loader season for about 5 years now. I'm building up points so I've had nothing but cow tags. Have not connected yet. :cry: I hope to draw a bull tag in GMU 67 next year. Point creep might squash that plan though.

For those that may not be familiar with CO regs, muzzle loader is a 9 day season, usually the 2nd week of September. It overlaps archery, so you will be competing with the stick/string folks. It is draw only for all GMUs. I drew a 2nd choice cow tag this year and it's considered an "A" license. This restricts what you can pick up for a leftover (I found this out recently). Leftover bull tag is not permitted when you drew an "A" license.. You have to pick up a "B' or "C" cow leftover. You can hunt with a muzzle loader during the regular rifle seasons if that's what you prefer. Hunter orange requirements are just like the rifle seasons. Scopes are not permitted and neither are sabots.
Waygoner

Postby steviek » 10 29, 2013 •  [Post 4]

In Co are powerbelt bullets considered sabots?

Steve
steviek

First Name: Steve
Last Name: K

Postby Waygoner » 10 29, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Powerbelts are legal. I shoot them in my CVA Optima.
Waygoner