Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The Sadness . . .

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The Sadness . . .

Postby LckyTylr » 10 29, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Once again . . . I am eating elk tag soup.

I entered the season with all of the confidence in the world. I worked hard and had the conditioning, I would go to any length. I had the location, a great spot with lots and lots of elk. I had the knowledge, Elknutforums.com had prepared me for two full years with quality elk education and I knew exactly how to get it done.

In the end, I had many close calls with bulls and I feel like I played all of my cards right. i had bulls within range numerous times (one Monster was within 50 yards three times).

It never materialized, I never released an arrow. Some things . . . I guess you just have to pay your dues. I thought that I'd done that already. Some people go out on their first ever elk hunt and kill a big 6 point . . . I just want an opportunity to release an arrow . . . I'll make it count.

The 11 months of sadness . . . they are cruel.

Feeling rather snively today. No excuses, no regrets, the stars just didn't align. Here's hoping for a chance next year.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Re: The Sadness . . .

Postby Swede » 10 29, 2013 •  [Post 2]

May we should start an UnLckyTylr club. I could become a charter member with you, but I sure don't want to be a long term participant in the club. Lets face it there is an element of luck involved too. I don't care how good you are, you can't control the elk. Don't get down on yourself, but reassess everything including your preparation and the area you hunt. Keep working on your skills and conditioning. Eventually everything will come together. If it doesn't happen soon, then reassess and go deeper. True dedication will ultimately pay, and you can minimize the luck factor. Best wishes on getting out of the club soon. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby redtop » 10 30, 2013 •  [Post 3]

There's more to life than elk hunting..................well maybe not, there's beer anyway.
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Postby Trumkin the Dwarf » 10 30, 2013 •  [Post 4]

It took me 9 years to shoot my first bull elk. Its tough, especially with a bow. That said, I hunt for enjoyment as much as anything else. It sure is enjoyable to have close encounters without having to pack meat (at least that's what I tell myself when I'm in your situation). :roll:
Trumkin the Dwarf

First Name: Malachi
Last Name: C

Postby JGH » 10 30, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I read your post and thought I must've written it ... that is exactly how I feel.

I have had years when I didn't know how to find elk.

I have had years when I didn't know how to call elk.

I have had years when I didn't have time to hunt elk.

All of those problems were solved ... and still ... no elk in the freezer. Which is why God made the .30-06 and pronghorn antelope! He felt bad about making elk so hard to hunt.

But -- man-o-man -- I had a good archery season, and I know where I'll be finding them next year. The planning is a fun stage, too. So ... back to working out in the mornings, going over gear, pouring over maps ... what fun.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby Magic » 10 30, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Sad, OK, but down, no way. I made my first Elk hunt in 1973. Although I killed a bull, I still came home disappointed. (wrong partner)

Since then and about 35 trips later, I am yet to be disappointed again. Some years I was successful and killed, but most I did not. Then there were years when I was the camp cook and never hunted. Some years I worked for an Outfitter and guided and never hunted.

The point being, killing is not necessary to have a successful year. Start planning next year's hunt before you end this year's, and choose the right hunting/camping partner.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 30, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Withdraws, they can be harsh! (grin) It can make the prep work for next years elk hunt that much sweeter! Perseverance & determination will be even that much stronger!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby bnsafe » 10 30, 2013 •  [Post 8]

its a long 11 mos rather you killed one or not. keep at it tyler, when it happens it will prob happen quick. as you get older you will enjoy the outing more an the kill is less important. keep after em.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby ctdad » 10 30, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I hunt with two of my best friends. The experience is so much greater than the kill for me now. Our group killed one elk and one mule deer this year out of five tags so we aren't exactly the most successful. But the stories and memories are priceless. When I'm in front of a computer and have time, I'll share a great bear spray story soon.
ctdad

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 30, 2013 •  [Post 10]

That's why they call it "hunting". Heck, you planned your hunt well, did all the right things, and got into them. Sounds like a pretty good year.

LckyTylr wrote: "In the end, I had many close calls with bulls and I feel like I played all of my cards right. I had bulls within range numerous times (one Monster was within 50 yards three times)."

Would like to hear the story about the bruiser you were able to get close to. Did it occur in one hunt or on different occasions? Was it a calling situation? Did you spot him bedded down with cows and intercept him as the herd went from bed to feed? Were you tree stand hunting? Come on Tyler, let's hear about some of your adventures this year. It's good therapy ;)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Z Barebow » 10 30, 2013 •  [Post 11]

It sounds like you are doing all of the right things. I would give a body part to have experienced the close encounters you had. This year was my 6th elk hunt and I have never felt futility like this hunt. Hunted 12 days and never had a close encounter. Spotted ~ 10 elk and all but one of those were in a single herd. No closer than 80 yards to an elk.

It sure beats not elk hunting.

The more you hunt, the "luckier" you become. Perseverance WILL pay off.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby Elkduds » 10 30, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I feel you. With all your eggs in the archery basket, meat in the freezer can elude you for years. Frustrating! So figure out a backup meat hunt that will fill the freezer every few years. A young cow is much better eating than a gnarly, rutting bull. Then during your archery hunts you can enjoy all the close encounters, all the golden September days, all the music of bulls and coyotes, and feel no pressure to take an iffy shot. Wounding and losing game is WAY more unpleasant than not shooting, for the hunter and the animal. For me, the ones that got away are more memorable than the ones that wound up on the grill. In hunting, as in all things: What you have, how you feel, what you experience is always richer than what you want or seek. Only one thing to do-keep after them!
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Wapiti » 10 30, 2013 •  [Post 13]

There's nothing to be sad about. Just think back on all the memories that you have from this years elk hunt !! There's way more to an elk hunt than killing an elk !! Big deal so you never connected.......I bet you still had fun and that's what it's all about !!

I could have shot 23 bulls this year with my bow. The closest bull was a 5x5 at 3 yards broadside !!! Passed on all of them looking for the right one !! Most call me crazy !! I call it a success !!!! Now everyone is different but My calls all worked perfect and I am more than happy !!

Go get'em next year !!

Travis
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby LckyTylr » 10 31, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Thanks everyone, great shares and advice. I know that it's "hunting" . . . not "killing". It's probably easy for some of you to say that it's more about the experience than it is about getting one on the ground. I can see your point in that. I have taken a lot of deer, for me, deer hunting is where I get my yearly camaraderie and really enjoy my time in the outdoors because that's when I have a rifle in my hands and get to spend time with my Wife and Father in law. I get it. To me, however, solo archery elk hunting is the ultimate test. I'm competitive and I don't like to lose, I don't like to lose a war, a battle, a game, a match or even concede a single point to my opponent. Now, I realize I'm out there playing war with a 900 lbs animal in his own house on his own terms, but dangit, I'm not about to let that get in my way. Yes, it's fun, it's one of the most exhilarating times a guy can have when you get in close on a rutting bull. Yes, it's difficult, they don't sit on couches eating doritos all year like we do. What it is, is an experience, a physical and mental test like no other. Sometimes I fail physically, sometimes I fail mentally. I guess that until I can consistently venture into the woods and maintain a strong and steady pace on foot while keeping my mind sharp, maybe I haven't earned one. I'm getting closer every year. this year I had one mental breakdown, so I wasn't a match for the mighty wapiti. :) It was fun, it was a season that I wouldn't trade for the last 4 seasons. It was just incredible.

BUT

Sometimes, for some people at a certain point in their life, it IS about getting one on the ground. Once I have accomplished my goal, getting my first bull with a bow only, I am certain that I'll be able to enjoy it a little more, there will be much less pressure to get it done. What I'm really trying to accomplish is to get a few bulls under my belt for myself. My Son is 2, in another 6 or 7 years, he's going to be in the elk woods with me and I fully intend to have my hunts fully catered to his interests and abilities (no elk for me).

Anyway, like I said, I'm a very fortunate guy to have had such great experiences this year. Some day, hopefully next season, I'll kill my first elk. :) I did enjoy my time afield this year, I learned even more, which might be the most important thing.

Here's my story of that one magical morning where it all (almost) went right for me.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2957
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby elkmtngear » 10 31, 2013 •  [Post 15]

LckyTylr wrote:Here's my story of that one magical morning where it all (almost) went right for me. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2957

That was an exciting read, Tyler.

Tag soup certainly doesn't taste any better just because you have a number of elk under your belt. I found that out this Season. Chances are there will be Seasons in your future, where it just doesn't come together. The one shining star for me is just being out in the elk woods, with just one purpose, and no distractions from everyday life. No matter what Mother Nature throws at me, I just love being up there, and I never want to leave when time is up.

Here's a link to the last 4 days of my (unsuccessful) archery elk hunt: http://elkmtngear.com/blog/my-last-chance-solo-effort.html
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Lark Bunting » 11 01, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I still think about it every day. I feel your pain.

This was our first year ever hunting elk. It was humbling.

We'll continue our research for next year and see if we can make it happen.

I try to appreciate the time I spent with my son out in the forest. We had a lot of fun, some interesting stories to tell, and some excellent memories.

I'll fill the time between now and then with learning about upland hunting, fly fishing, planning my hunt for next year, hoping my son draws a deer tag, hoping he stays interested for next season, purchasing items I don't have but want.

I'm already talking with my buddy about next year. It keeps me going.

As they say...

Lark Bunting

First Name: Tom
Last Name: S