Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Where to begin . . .

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Where to begin . . .

Postby LckyTylr » 12 07, 2013 •  [Post 1]

A friend and I were planning to do a Caribou hunt in Alaska this next fall, but both of us decided that we don't have the funds to fully commit to an all-in hunt at this point in our lives (didn't realize how expensive it can all be). We have decided that we need a mini excursion to iron out the details so that we know what to expect in 2 years when we plan to resume with the Caribou Quest.

So, we are looking to do a fly-in hunt for elk (Archery or Rifle). We are looking at Wyoming, Montana and Idaho (we are from Idaho). We are after two things. Ample quantities of game and very little competition. We are backpack hunters and we like to think that we put in enough effort to get away from 90% of the hunters, but even so, Southern Idaho is FULL of those 10%'ers and horse hunters. So, the only other advantage that we could gain is to fly in to roadless/trailless areas and continue on with our backpack style hunting.

With that does anyone have any experience with fly-in hunting either of these 3 states? My friend has one point in both Montana and Wyoming, I'm pointless (hahaha).

Any suggestions on what general locations I should begin researching?
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Re: Where to begin . . .

Postby Swede » 12 07, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I am not familiar with hunting the three States you list. It sounds like you will need a helicopter or a float plane to land in a roadless area. Obviously if there are no roads there are no air strips either. Landing planes and helicopters in a wilderness is sorta frowned upon. It is ill eagle. :D
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby weaver » 12 07, 2013 •  [Post 3]

The Frank Church in ID has landing strips you can leagly use. Youll be competing with wolves in there though.
weaver

Postby Indian Summer » 12 07, 2013 •  [Post 4]

weaver wrote:The Frank Church in ID has landing strips you can leagly use. Youll be competing with wolves in there though.

Yep... and the Selway. Mike Ritchie Outfitters. He is HARDCORE. Big bulls zero people.... and yeah there are wolves but they aren't the end of the world. Public perception is worse than the actual problem.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Willie makit » 12 07, 2013 •  [Post 5]

In regards to the the wolf issue, are there any areas to avoid or are they too transient to know where "not to go"? I've got nothing in concrete as plans for next year and have 3 weeks off to go to any state. This really is more of a headache than an asset as its overwhelming deciding where to go.

Perhaps I should just do Paul Harvey's monkey stock market approach?
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Postby LckyTylr » 12 07, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Yeah . . . I guess I didn't specify. I know that Idaho has some wilderness areas with designated landing strips. Not sure if there are similar locations in or states. I know all too well the Wolf problem in the Frank Church. I hunted near Warren for 3 seasons and it's tough hunting. Lots and lots of wolf scat and tracks, lots of howling nearly every night. Not much bugling. The elk are there, but it's rugged and they know where Not to be.

I'll try that Indian Summer, thank you.
LckyTylr

Postby Indian Summer » 12 07, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I wouldn't call them transient. They just have huge home ranges. It can take weeks for them to make their way back to any particular area within that range. When I see wolf sign I know there are elk in the area. If I'm gun hunting it doesn't phase me. But if I'm bow hunting I hope they were just passing through because they can make elk a lot less vocal which makes life tough for a bow hunter. I'm pretty consistent killing elk as is Elknut himself and we both hunt areas where wolves live so..... Also... lots of hunters can't kill or even find elk where there are no wolves so...

In conclusion, food for thought but I suppose I haven't made your decision any easier have I? lol

I'd steer clear of the parks... Yellowstone & Glacier where wolves are protected and herd numbers way down.
Indian Summer

Postby Willie makit » 12 08, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Lol, no but good info to file into my learning memory banks. :)
Willie makit

First Name: Thomas

Postby MTLongdraw » 12 09, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Tyler a few things about Montana. The Bob Marshall does have a landing strip but that is an extremely popular place for horse hunters and I've heard it's a biological desert. My wife's uncle spent a week in there this year. He was 26 miles from his truck and they never saw an elk in 7 days of hunting. They did shoot at some wolves though. The Bob is an extremely popular place but I don't think its very good elk hunting. It can be done but I think its ruled out with the ample numbers of elk you speak of. Another thing about MT is don't get caught up on points. With the exception of a few units most stuff is over the counter and the more remote it is/difficult to access via private land the more likely you are to draw. MT is set up so a first time guy can draw the best tag in the state or you can put in for twenty years and never draw your first choice. They give you chances i.e. 2 points squares so you get 4 chances, 4 points gets you 16. You can apply as a party so if one of you gets it you both get it. Also if you do a fly in you have to go with a permitted pilot who is licensed to land on F.S. and BLM/State lands. I'm not sure how many of them their are that actually do that...Just a suggestion maybe think about having someone just pack you in. It might be the same as a plane ride and you could just adjust your weight so you were comparable to what you could take if you were flying. Not sure of the price difference there either.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby Indian Summer » 12 09, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Yep, the Bob is a desert wasteland. Big time griz country too. Seems to me the places with both wolves and griz aren't the greatest. Again... Yellowstone and Glacier areas.
Indian Summer

Postby LckyTylr » 12 09, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Thanks Guys. I've been thinking horses too, but then I'd be . . . dare I say . . . a horse hunter! :o :shock: :cry:

Haha. I have nothing against horse hunters other than pure jealousy. When I pack my happy arse several miles from the nearest road and find a good elk hunting spot during the summer months, I always think "Sweet, this is far enough that no other sane hunter would be in here on opening day". Then on opening day there are 6 horse camps in the same valley.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering a pack trip as well. That opens up a lot more locations. I'm somewhat leery of that option though as you never know what you are going to get. I'm familiar with horses (I wouldn't say experienced). I've been on a few dozen rides up in the mountains with them and it's hit or miss on whether or not you are going to get a horse that is "mountain broke" or a "city slicker" that bolts with every rolling pebble or running mouse. I don't want to spend my hunt chasing horses or mules and trying to keep them "feeling safe". A guided pack-in seems like overkill and a waste of money to me as we both know how to hunt already, just looking for options to distance ourselves from the masses.

Thanks guys, keep that advice rolling. How many people have been on guided / semi-guided pack-in trips? How many of you have rented horses/mules and DIY?
LckyTylr