Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

colorado gmu area 43

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

colorado gmu area 43

Postby dan.yost » 12 16, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I am planning a hunt 2nd season 2014 in area 43 in colorado, i have actually been out there the last 2 seasons for scouting but havent had much luck. I have been scouting sunlight, up thompson creek, and dead man. I will have horses and will prolly be out there for 3 days before the season so i can scout a little more before the start. These areas worth it or have i just been wasting my time?
dan.yost

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Yost

Re: colorado gmu area 43

Postby kevin_t » 12 16, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Thompson Creek had Elk this year, as far from the road as you could get. See my post on other ways to pack out :). I have hunted Sopris as well, and found elk as far from the road as you could get as well. Lots of pressure, not terrific elk numbers, steep and far back is generally the rule. Bad weather certainly helps with unit 43.
kevin_t
Site Sponsor

First Name: kevin
Last Name: timm

Postby kevin_t » 12 16, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I've hunted 43 the past two years. I would prefer not hunting there again. For rifle seasons, you really need a weather push. The elk numbers are not great, that is why they give out the the extra 400 tags over there. It is not because they are over objective, it is because the repro rate is low. Mule deer are doing great over there though. The reason I would choose to hunt it, is if I was trying for mule deer at the same time.

There are easier areas, with more elk IMO. If horses are an option, I would look at areas in the West Elk wilderness.
kevin_t
Site Sponsor

First Name: kevin
Last Name: timm

Postby dan.yost » 12 16, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Only reason horses are an option in 43 is I am renting them from someone there. I know some people out in that area that i keep giving me advice I was just mainly trying to get as much information as i can about the area to increase my odds. Anybody archery hunt 43? That is my plan 2015 just was hoping to get one with a rifle first before I attempted archery.
dan.yost

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Yost