Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Some things just aren't meant to be! (Missed elk)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Some things just aren't meant to be! (Missed elk)

Postby a3dhunter » 09 14, 2014 •  [Post 1]

My wife decided she wanted to hunt elk this year and I was happy to help.
We made plans and for the first time in years the fifth wheel trailer would be used during elk season.

We headed out for a week of elk hunting last Friday night. Had trouble locating elk the first three days so we moved to an area that I have hunted previously, about 8 years ago.
This area of western Colorado receives a lot of pressure but I do have some honey holes there that usually hold elk. This area is also more user friendly to a first time elk hunter, not having a 1,500 foot climb every morning like my usual spots if I don't spike camp up there.
We did some hiking Tuesday in the rain and she was a trooper, even with heavy rain most of the day.
After spending Wednesday checking some areas, I took my wife out Thursday morning and about 1/2 mile from the truck we hit some fresh sign. After looking around I found a nice bench about 50 yards away and we set up with her about 40 yards in front of me.
We were on a nice hillside with several benches, covered in aspen trees with good feed all around.

I started calling and after about 8 minutes had some cows come in off to her right, they spooked before offering a shot so I kept calling hoping to draw them back in. About 15 minutes in we moved down about 80 yards to another bench.
I had been cow calling and decided to send out my pathetic version of a "phone call" :D to see if there were any bulls around.
At this time from the opposite direction I heard the most awful bugle possible. I moved up and repositioned my wife to set up while hoping to draw this bull in sideways across the mountain, along the bench. The bugle sounded almost like a beef cow in distress!
As I left my wife to move back I told her to watch out for a hunter coming in, because that bugle is awful!

I moved back and kept calling and he came in on a string about 25 minutes in (8:15 in the morning.) He came right along the bench on the trail, and walked through 12 yards below my wife. She was shaking like a leaf at her first elk encounter and managed to miss the broadside of the barn (or 6x6 bull in this case)! We nicknamed the bull "chocolate" because of how dark his antlers were.
There were smiles and laughter at being so close and the bull having no idea because he was so focused on me.

Needless to say, this was something that seemed like a slam dunk and ended up with her not having a clue how she could miss this elk!

We watched the bull run off, then went and checked the area and looked for the arrow. We didn't find it because of the jungle of brush but we picked up the tracks quickly. We followed for about 3/4 of a mile before losing the trail. Not one speck of blood and we later heard him bugling but could not call him back in.
We went back on day two and three after that rechecking, and even with another friend to help look, we never found the arrow and never found any sign of a hit.

We hunted the rest of the week but didn't have another chance like this.
She kept her head up and was a good sport, saying she deserved any ribbing any of the guys could throw her way!

I know I've been in the position of wishing I had another chance when I've blown the shot, and I'm hoping you guys can relate. :mrgreen:

I know for a fact that my hard work on my calling has payed off huge in the last few years. I've learned a lot from many different forums and individuals, and give a shout out of thanks to Greg (gselkhunter) for his help as well.
I was able to call in elk several times but shot opportunities just didn't present themselves. I still have two weekends to hunt elk, and my wife will possibly be able to hunt the last weekend.
I'll attach a picture of the area we were hunting, the encounter happened just up the hill from where this picture was taken. On a small bench about 30 yards wide 2/3 of the way up to the top.
a3dhunter

First Name: jason
Last Name: mcbride