Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Slip System Review

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Slip System Review

Postby itsnlkthing » 09 16, 2014 •  [Post 1]

I had the opportunity to get out with my new Slip System decoy during my week in SW Colorado. Unfortunately, my elk encounters were limited, so I can't really report on the effectiveness as a decoy. I did however have the opportunity to make use of the many versatile configurations of the slip system during a hail storm and several major rain storms. I have to say I am very pleased with the quality of they product and the creativity that went into the design. The only negatives for me are the weight and the strap / snap that holds the unit closed. The sleeve is excellent for containing everything when you are just hiking but it does not lend itself to any rapid deployment. The strap works well without the slip decoy on the umbrella but it is too short to effectively wrap the umbrella with the decoy slip in place. The snap ended up tearing out on me trying to get it to go around. I had a paracord "survival" bracelet with me and ended up using that as a fix and it worked out very well. Although the unit is heavy, I felt it was worthwhile carrying with me at all times. As a walking staff, it really saved me from a number of slips on difficult terrain. I don't think it could be made much lighter without reducing the quality of the construction or significantly increasing the cost. All said, I am pleased with the purchase and hope to put the decoy aspect to the test before the season ends.
itsnlkthing

First Name: Steve
Last Name: DeWeese