Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Colorado GMU unit 55 Advice

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Colorado GMU unit 55 Advice

Postby Sledgehammer » 03 19, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Hello everyone! I am looking for some help on where to find some elk in unit 55. I am not expecting anyone to give me exact location (but you can if you want <grin>). Last season I hunted in the southwest area of the unit. I saw zero elk on my 6 day hunt. I was talking to as many locals as I could and they all kept telling me about the elk being up around taylor park. This unit and that area is so big that doesn't help much. I will be going after them with my bow as I did last year. Just my dad and I. I would just like to even see some elk, I feel like if I had elk in the area I was at it would be a successful hunt even if I don't kill one. I know this gets asked a lot on here but any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been reading everything I can on this forum. And last year was an awesome hunt, I saw and could have killed many nice mule deer. I cant wait to get out in the mountains again. Cheers.
Sledgehammer

First Name: Cole

Re: Colorado GMU unit 55 Advice

Postby Waygoner » 03 19, 2015 •  [Post 2]

I know that unit pretty well. What area were you hunting last year?
Waygoner

Postby Elkduds » 03 19, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Welcome to the best elk forum on the web, glad you stopped by. Fossil Ridge wilderness is a refuge from the heavy atv traffic in that unit, and is good elk habitat.
Elkduds

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Scott

Postby Sledgehammer » 03 19, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Last year we hunted south of fossil ridge. Come to find out I think that area doesn't have elk until the later rifle seasons. I thought fossil ridge was off limits to hunting?
Sledgehammer

Postby Elkduds » 03 19, 2015 •  [Post 5]

It is wilderness, always closed to motorized/mechanized vehicles. Never heard of it being closed to hiking, fishing, hunting. PM sent.
Elkduds

Postby Sledgehammer » 03 19, 2015 •  [Post 6]

That's right not closed to hunting just motorized vehicles. I knew it was something.
Sledgehammer

Postby ak32 » 03 23, 2015 •  [Post 7]

PM me if you're still looking for advice. I live in that unit and know it pretty well and could help point you into some areas that usually get less pressure.
ak32

Postby Waygoner » 03 24, 2015 •  [Post 8]

Sledgehammer - PM sent
Waygoner

Postby elkchaser » 11 02, 2015 •  [Post 9]

Following this. Planning on hunting that unit/area for 3rd rifle 2016. a year and 2 days and counting. :lol:
elkchaser

Postby saddlesore » 11 07, 2015 •  [Post 10]

Just happened to find this forum, but I use to converse with a few guys here on Sage Creek forum.

I hunt Unit 54,which is directly west, but the last few years a lot of elk from both 55 and 54 are being pushed down to the valley floor, north of Gunnison. This starts even in archery season. Last year by 2nd rifle season, there were 500+ head of elk on the Castleton Ranch about 15 miles north of Gunnison on the Ohio Creek road. This year there were over 300 head.

If I were to hunt 55, I'd stay away from any drainages on the western or southwestern side.
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby RyanH » 06 05, 2018 •  [Post 11]

Hi Guys,

Clearly, its been a few years since this thread had any activity....

My little brother (youth) was able to draw an archery tag to unit 55 this year and, while beyond excited for him, I am completely unfamiliar. We live in Conifer, have the ability to scout and plan to do exactly that. This will be his first archery hunt and I'm hoping to show him a great time (and how much work it always is). Could any of you contribute a starting point in that unit? I plan to talk to the game warden there, break out the maps etc. but anything would help. I'm new to this community, but from what I can tell, you all really do have eachothers back. If I can help in any way, I'd love to as well.

Thank you guys!
RyanH

Postby Elkduds » 06 05, 2018 •  [Post 12]

Welcome, Ryan. Good of you to join us.
Elkduds

Postby CurlyTail » 06 05, 2018 •  [Post 13]

If you live in Conifer, why not hunt closer to home. That front range is full of elk, rugged territory, and everybody drives right past them. Scout close to home and you will find plenty of Elk.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Waygoner » 06 11, 2018 •  [Post 14]

I've heard that Cottonwood Pass will be closed until 2019. That cuts off access from the east side.
Waygoner