Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Got my tag for the area 7 wy January season.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Got my tag for the area 7 wy January season.

Postby 2peterhunter » 04 10, 2015 •  [Post 1]

Anybody hunt this one before?
2peterhunter

Re: Got my tag for the area 7 wy January season.

Postby Kessler10 » 04 10, 2015 •  [Post 2]

I have Hunted Area 7 a few times. January is a rough time to be up there, very windy/snowy/cold, but doable. The herds are all grouped up this late and you can see them closer to the roads as they come down the mountains to feed on the hay. But they know as soon as a truck stops to get the hell out of Dodge.
I have seen groups of 100 all the way to groups of 700 that late in the year. The Moriah Ranch is a good area right off Garrett road. But its getting hunted pretty heavy over the last couple years. This used to be a private ranch but was bought by Game and Parks a few years ago. Elk regular use this area. you can get a special access permit for this area if you have a permit for Area 7. The bitch about the elk in this area is they are hard to get on and stay on. They move, move, move.

Elk are over the objective there so just give the game warden a call and he will give you good tips on where the big groups of elk are.
Area 7 has a ton of private land so you just need to do your homework, There are access areas for public use but its always surrounded by private land. Use a GPS to ensure your on the right land.
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Postby 2peterhunter » 04 10, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Thanks will do, if I go during the week is that a plus?
2peterhunter

Postby mooseman » 04 12, 2015 •  [Post 4]

Have a type 9 Wyoming Elk tag for fall 2015. I am going early archery any good tips would help. Had 9 preference points to draw. Should I have used them on a different game unit ? Game Warden says there is enough area to hunt in National forest???
mooseman

Postby Kessler10 » 04 13, 2015 •  [Post 5]

2peterhunter:
Yes, going during the week always a plus. Especially in January where

Mosseman:

Yes, lots of National Forest up there as well. I know Medicine Bow NAt Forest is in the area, I believe. But not sure if that was where the Warden was talking about or not.
I would always just have a cow tag for this area because it took to many points to draw a bull tag.

I wouldn't hesitate to use your points to draw a bull tag in this area. Which sounds like you did. So your good, in my opinion.
Sounds like you have already made contact with the Warden. Keep that connection as you get closer to Sept. He will tell you the elk patterns he has seen.
I have never hunted this area during archery, only rifle

The areas I hunted were near Cow Creek as well as near Pinto Rock. Cow Creek is a great area but has a lot of hunter pressure opening day rifle. But might be a good spot to check out or ask the warden about come Sept for archery. They call it COW Creek for a reason I suppose ;) If your camping you can setup a camp close to the trail head that feeds into Cow creek. Or pack in a couple miles. I would think hunting pressure during archery would be fairly low. there is some good access points in area 7. So if I were you I would spend a few days hiking in a few different areas. Like Cow Creek, Nat Forest area, Pinto Rock area and see where the activity is. From there maybe focus on one of those areas for the last few days of your hunt.
Kessler10

First Name: Luke
Last Name: Kessler

Postby Wyo67 » 04 13, 2015 •  [Post 6]

2peterhunter - I rifle hunt cows up there every year with a type 6 license in during the month of December. Last year the Wy G&F had a hunter management coordinator attempt to help out with the elk harvest, but the harvest numbers for last year ended up being down most likely due to the mild start to the winter that did not push the elk out of the hills.

From experience last year, I can tell you that on the day that the hunter management areas open for cows (usually the first Monday in November), it is can be a zoo - but you should have plenty of room to operate in January. Recommend checking into all of the hunter management areas. As Kessler said, the elk are always on the move, good binoculars are a must. The attached pic was taken on the Moriah Ranch (Pinto Creek HMA) in mid-December and it doesn't do the herd size justice. Just gotta find'em and be able to brave the January weather. Ditto on the GPS with the hunt maps chip. Lots of private in the national forest.

mooseman - What area are you looking at? Area 7 does not have a type 9 tag.
Attachments
Photo(3).jpg
Photo(3).jpg (80.61 KiB) Viewed 4936 times
Wyo67

Postby mooseman » 06 30, 2015 •  [Post 7]

Wyo67 wrote:2peterhunter - I rifle hunt cows up there every year with a type 6 license in during the month of December. Last year the Wy G&F had a hunter management coordinator attempt to help out with the elk harvest, but the harvest numbers for last year ended up being down most likely due to the mild start to the winter that did not push the elk out of the hills.

From experience last year, I can tell you that on the day that the hunter management areas open for cows (usually the first Monday in November), it is can be a zoo - but you should have plenty of room to operate in January. Recommend checking into all of the hunter management areas. As Kessler said, the elk are always on the move, good binoculars are a must. The attached pic was taken on the Moriah Ranch (Pinto Creek HMA) in mid-December and it doesn't do the herd size justice. Just gotta find'em and be able to brave the January weather. Ditto on the GPS with the hunt maps chip. Lots of private in the national forest.

mooseman - What area are you looking at? Area 7 does not have a type 9 tag.

Yea area 7 but type 1 license. I guess there is some wilderness areas in the Medicine Bow mountains and non- residents need an Outfitter to hunt that. Hoping to do a DYI hunt. So I hope there is enough National forest to hunt. Going archery early September.
mooseman

Postby Wyo67 » 07 01, 2015 •  [Post 8]

Mooseman - There are wilderness areas in the Medicine Bow National Forest, but not up in area 7. They are all down in south/central WY around the Colorado state line. Recommend going to the U.S. Forest Service website and downloading a copy of the Laramie Peak Motor Vehicle Use Map. Located here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mbr/maps-pubs/?cid=FSWDEV3_008634

This map will show all highways, roads, and forest service trails that have public access to the national forest. Only problem with that is everyone else knows that too...
Wyo67

Postby Deanmac » 01 12, 2019 •  [Post 9]

good info
Deanmac

Postby Indian Summer » 01 12, 2019 •  [Post 10]

This thread is 3 1/2 years old! :lol:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro